Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

NEW FEATURE: Spell Checking Is Finally Here!

Pages: 1 19 replies

Hi TC,

I'm happy to report that after many years of requests, Spell Checking is finally here. I'm rolling it out for BETA testing.

Here's how to use it:

• Click Spell Check at the bottom of screen (it appears on New Topic, Reply, and Edit).
  • You'll be presented with your message with misspelled words appearing inside a drop-down box.
  • Your original word is displayed in the drop down with a star (*) after it.
  • Simply choose the correct words from the drop-downs, and click "Finish Spellcheck".

**note: ** The system already recognizes a lot of tiki-centric words supplied by the Critiki database. There is also a detection system that allows me to monitor unrecognized words that TCers choose to use. This will help us expand the dictionary of accepted words over time. PLEASE DO NOT email me with words to add.

This is a feature that has been requested for a long time and is available to everyone. This should help out not just in day-to-day reading and posting, but also improving search results long term. I'd like to thank our Grand Members for pitching in money for help with the development costs associated with advanced features like this.

This was no small feat ... and in fact I never thought I'd be able to add it to Tiki Central. But here it is!

Please let me know what you think, and if you run into any problems with it.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-07-18 20:21 ]

D

wow, you are The Amazing Hanford!

spell checker. (i tried "spull choker", and got the little boxes!! very cool ~ i liked my alternate choices too, "skull chickie" )

hey, it works!! yay, fewer edits!
although a word i use often "yay" seems not to be a word.

elicia

I think its Grate!

(sorry...not funny)

Me fale inglesh thats umpossible...

All kidding aside , thanks for all the great new features.

H

thans Hanford....

thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!

Wow, what a piece of programming! That does not look like it was easy to do. Great feature - hats off to Hanford!

("no misspellings were found")

Nice. I never knew how to spell "misspellings" till I tried that.

H

Heya, I definitely need a spell check. Way to to go Hanford!

HOO-FRIGGIN-RAY! I can finally throw that damn dictionary away and free up some shelf space for more tiki mugs. Thanx Hanford. (BTW - spellcheck hated this reply but I ain't gonna let no machine push me around...nosiree)

What will Bong do now that my spelling won't drive him up the wall? How dare you attempt to help me with my dyslexia!!!

Oh, at least my grammar will still bug him.

D

Great idea,although we won't know if people are drunk when they're posting!

M

Thnaks Hanford! That is totally kool.

I had trouble speling my username to logg in.

My dog speals better than me.

On 2005-07-18 20:15, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I'm happy to report that after many years of requests, Spell Checking is finally here.

Thanks Hanford!

If only Craigslist had this feature.

M

ZAZZ! (NO misspellings found!!)

Cool!
My Microsoft Word always tells me that Tiki is not a word.
Well screw that program thanks to the Big Lemoore!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I want to mention a few more things:

First I wanted to say that a lot of testing has been done to make sure it works correctly, but it is still quite possible that there are bugs in the code that could cause problems. Please be on the lookout for them and let me know if you see anything funny.

Secondly is that I'm not 100% sure how much system resources spell-checking takes when everyone's using it all the time. My hunch is that everything will be fine, but I wanted to put this warning out there that in the event that it overloads the server, I may have to remove it or limit it to Grand Members or something like that. I don't think it will come to that, though.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone!

~Hanford

T

I am pleased to hear that Zazz is already in the database! That was my first question...

It doesn't warrant a completely new topic, but I added a Personal Message button to the bottom of post.

Great new addition hanford, I always forget how to exactly spell members names.
Thanks!

Pages: 1 19 replies