Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's World Famous Mai Tai cocktail at BevMo

Pages: 1 7 replies

Some of you may remember that last year some of the Trader Joe's stores had Trader Vic's World Famous Mai Tai cocktail in the liquor section. Back then a buddy and I bought a couple of bottles each and then it was gone. I kept going back to Trader Joe's but could never find it anymore. Soon no one at Trader Joe's could remember having the stuff.
Well Sunday night I stopped in at the new BevMo in Pinole California and low and behold they have Trader Vic's World Famous Mai Tai cocktail in stock. At $7.99 a bottle it 2 bucks more than Trader Joe's got for the stuff but so what Trader Joe's ain't got none and BevMo does.
Just thought you might like to know.

M

The BevMo by my place also started to carry the Trader Vic's Dark Rum as well for $7.99 a bottle. I don't think I've ever seen that there before - Only seen it once or twice at Trader Joe's.

I thought I remember it not tasting too good. I'm I wrong?

M

I like the TV dark rum, but the pre-mixed Mai Tai stuff leaves something to be considered. I personally think it's overly sweet & sour. It is good to have around in case of "emergency".

Having never tried the pre mixed stuff I thought I should. So tonight I went down to my local BevMo and picked up the last bottle they had. I have to agree with MachTiki, it is a bit off.

However after shaking it with crushed ice it was improved a bit but it seemed weak and was lacking something. So I added some Saint James 15-year Hors D'Age Rum. Ah Ha! What an improvement. This was now quite tasty! Still not as good as the real thing but a very good substitution.

I think I'll have another.

DZ

Along with a bottle of Vic's dark rum, I keep the Vic's Mai Tai cocktail as part of my 'travel bar' (y'know, the little suitcase-like thing that holds 2 bottles, a shaker and other bar supplies). Basically, I use it in lieu of the orgeat-curacao-rock candy, adding fresh lime, rum and garnishes. I'd never actually use it at home, but on the road where space & supplies are limited, it works OK, usually much better than any Mai Tai I could purchase anywhere nearby!

I too like to keeep a bottle or two on hand "just in case". Shaking it with crushed ice and some fresh lime juice ain't too bad in a pinch.
Aloha,
:tiki:

I am actually quite fond of TV's dark rum and TV's mai tai mix. I keep plenty of bottles on hand because they are a great time saver. It also makes a decent mai tai if you use half TV'S mix, and half hand made (orgeat, curacao, sugar syrup, fresh lime, a sprig of mint), some TV's dark rum and another mid line amber rum.
It ends up being not too pricy per drink, quick to make, still looks impressive to the untrained eye, and tastes good enough to drink 5 or 6 of them.

I'm glad BevMo has it in stock. I was lucky enough to buy a case of the TV's mai tai mix at a liquor store that was going out of business... about $1.50 a bottle. Maybe that is why I like the stuff so much.

-T.J.

Pages: 1 7 replies