Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Well... they did a puzzle!

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

Looks like they actually got this published! About 4 months ago I did this map of the US for our Uncle Sam character, and Springbok finally came out with it:

http://www.springbok-puzzles.com/puzzles.php?op=pieces&pieces=60

Sorry for the low resolution - here's an earlier version I had done for them:

Yeah - it's no great shakes - but I'm used to working on things that never see the light of day!

congrats & nice tiki!

M

Way to go Chris! Nice accomplishment!

swell, tang, me likey!

Tang,

That's great! Did you do that by hand, or on the computer?

I was wondering if you (or anyone) knows of a good technique for creating noise like the kind you have behind Sam and Star's head in the upper-right of the map using photoshop?

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-07-20 17:13 ]

Very nice.

Is that a whale wrestling a giant squid above Maine?

"That little girl looks like she's about to barf."

JK!

Good for you T.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2005 7:48 PM

Way to go. Congratulations

Congrats TANG-
I really like the Sperm Whale that is cruising by the Hawaiian Islands!!!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2005-07-20 19:55 ]

T

On 2005-07-20 17:12, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Tang,

That's great! Did you do that by hand, or on the computer?

I was wondering if you (or anyone) knows of a good technique for creating noise like the kind you have behind Sam and Star's head in the upper-right of the map using photoshop?

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-07-20 17:13 ]

I did it the pencils & inking by hand - color in Photoshop... I've been learning how to ink with a brush the old fashioned way lately. I was starting to feel that everything I was designing in Adobe Illustrator was getting really cold & dead. This seemed to help (especially with characters like these that don't have much life in them from the get go).

As to the noise behind the heads - that's just a brush in Photoshop (actually, I think it's a default brush in Photoshop CS) - you just use it in a layer....

T

On 2005-07-20 19:54, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Congrats TANG-
I really like the Sperm Whale that is cruising by the Hawaiian Islands!!!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2005-07-20 19:55 ]

Actually - the Sperm Whale is fighting a squid up near Maine!

I think the Hawaiian guy is more of a Blue Whale - but I had so little time to do this, I was just pulling the stuff outta my ass....

I like the map. When it goes into production will the pieces be cut out for each state? Will I find it at the local Hallmark? Aspiring to be Corvarrubias?

On 2005-07-21 10:54, polynesian posh boy wrote:
I like the map. When it goes into production will the pieces be cut out for each state? Will I find it at the local Hallmark? Aspiring to be Corvarrubias?

Naaaaa - I'm no where near Corvarrubias - although I do like map making...

http://www.christophermerritt.com/Maps.html

The puzze is a 60 piece one - aimed at young kids I would imagine.... But they didn't tell me much about this project when they asked me to do it! Should be in Hallmark type stores soon.

Tang! Congrats on the puzzle. Nice work. I loved those state puzzles when I was a kid. At least you've got your daughter's Christmas present handled now.

I'm glad you went with the Alabama joke. I know that you were trying out various ideas but wanted to have something that the kids could relate to. You shared some of your preliminary sketches with me and I hope you won't mind if I share them with the TC folks. I think it gives valuable insight into how tough the artistic process is.

Sabu

On 2005-07-21 09:14, Tangaroa wrote:

I think the Hawaiian guy is more of a Blue Whale - but I had so little time to do this, I was just pulling the stuff outta my ass....

Pulling a whale out of your ass sounds painful...
but now I guess you have something to counter with when the wife complains about childbirth.

The USA seems to be an island.

T

On 2005-07-21 12:12, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
The USA seems to be an island.

Yes - all of the North American continents I was forced to remove... I still don't understand.

On 2005-07-21 11:46, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
...You shared some of your preliminary sketches with me and I hope you won't mind if I share them with the TC folks. I think it gives valuable insight into how tough the artistic process is.

Sabu

Sabu has now gotten me fired - I hope Tikibelle is ready for the 4 of us to move in. Nicole will learn to love those flaming pork skewers in wacky sauce or whatever they are....

Canada appears to be a white void -- which is how most of the world sees us anyway, so it's no biggie. But poor Mexico... under all that water...

Pages: 1 17 replies