Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Cheeseburger Tiki (This has to be the WORST!!!!)

Pages: 1 32 replies

M

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195305167&category=35713&rd=1

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Made title more clear - 2005-08-05 23:54 ]

The description of this "treasure" reads:

"Aloha! You are bidding on a brand new Cheeseburger In Paradise Tiki Glass. It is made by the Tiki Farm Company. On the front of the Tiki glass is a cheeseburger with a plumeria flower. On the back of the Tiki glass is the name "Cheeseburger In Paradise". This would be great for collecting or for using as a drinking glass. If you have any more questions or would like to see more pictures please email me. Mahalo"

Holden, did something go wrong in the laboratory and this mutant product escaped and fell into the wrong hands?

J

I hate to admit I think that's a pretty cool mug - the detailed hamburger is great. In regards to its direct relation to Buffett... I'll just keep my mouth shut!

TM

Now, Now.....
I gotta agree with John, I think it's a pretty cool mug. Good job Holden, the mug looks great. I don't care what these suckas' say, you da man.

T

I love the face and would take that mug over a couple of the new tiki farm mugs. Its based on a wooden figure I believe.

DZ

Spermy & Whale Rider picked one up when we were all in Hawaii. It is actually pretty cool - the detail and the colors (especially on the burger itself) look great in person. I agree with teaKEY in that I'd take it over some of the other new TikiFarm mugs as well.

yup, he's a cute little tiki!
I'd happily display one of these mugs.

H

I am not sure about this one, somehow plumeria and cheeseburger don't mix well together for me. Specially in a tiki mug design...

H

Tikipedia mentions this mug in this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15714&forum=1&6

Along with a few more photos.

R

The Sperm Whale & The Whale Rider got me this mug last month when they were on Oahu. It really is a nicely detailed mug. I was surprised to have not heard about it prior to their trip here on TC or on the Tiki Farm site.

As to the Buffett connection- I know there are plenty of people here on TC that will dislike something purely because of the "Buffettization" of tiki. But for those people in particular, that is one reason why you should really want this mug. You see, Buffett actually sued the two ladies that own the "Cheeseburger" restaurants a few years back for copyright infringement.

Here is the "short" version as I know it:
Two ladies from Newport Beach go to Maui on vacation, find they are craving a cheeseburger but can't find a good one. Decide they will open "Cheeseburger in Paradise" on Front Street in Lahaina. It turns out to be a big success, they open another in Mexico, and one in Waikiki. These are all called "Cheeseburger in Paradise". They then decide they want to build one in their hometown of Newport Beach, which coincidentally, is the same time Buffett is considering building a restaurant in Orange County. He then sues them and tells them they must change the names at all of their restaurants. The ladies do not back down and decide to take it to court. This goes on for about a year when they finally settle the case. The settlement is that they can continue to use the name at all the restaurants that have already been opened. All new restaurants must be called something else. (Which is why there is "Cheeseburger at the Oasis" in Vegas, and the newer one on Maui is called "Cheeseburgers, Mai Tais, and Rock & Roll"). Meanwhile, Buffett sells the name to The Outback Corporation for $1 million and stock. They have already opened a few CBiP restaurants in the Midwest, with plans to open something like 70 more next year across the US.

So, in the end, these ladies stood up to the Buffett empire and won. (Was that really the short version?)

Also, this story may be totally inacurate in the timeline and what actually took place. This is just what I have been told on several occasions over several years of going to the CBiP in Lahaina.

So, all the Buffett-haters out there can now go out and buy a mug and get a great burger while in Hawaii or Vegas, and feel that you are doing your part to take that parrothead down a notch. Everyone else that never really cared one way or the other can also do whatever they were going to do in the first place, but I say Holden and everyone else at Tiki Farm should be proud of this signature mug that they produced.

[ Edited by: Riptide 2005-07-21 21:22 ]

I love it. I look forward to more tikis with food. Burritos? Hot dogs? Smoked sausage? Pickles? How about smokin' a pickle? Pickle smoker? The possibilities are endless.

D

i like it. but more, i like that restaurants are filling and selling marked mugs! :drink:

J

Now that I understand how it's not related to good ol' Jimmy I like it a whole lot more! I'd even consider adding it to my collection and its been a long time since I've wanted anything but a non-vintage tiki mug... :)

So why is this the worst?

J

I'm assuming Mctiki was thinking as I was and figured that this mug was released by the evil Margaritaville empire.

TM

I'd love to add one to my collection. Anyone out there live close to a CBIP that can pick one up for me?

TB

Great job Holden, look forward to picking up a mug next time im in Vegas (Sept.)

TBird.

i love it i love it i love it!

who doesn't love a good burger, a cute tiki mug and a stiff tiki drink?

Mmmmm, burgers....

I'm glad the mug is going over so well! There's no relation to Jimmy Buffet with this design. We were contacted by the "Jimmy Buffet camp" a few years ago to do a design for his tour and we graciously bowed-out. They couldn't understand it but I wanted to keep it professional vs. the whole "demise of Tiki" conversation that could have ensued.
Mahaloz,
Holden
ps - Moon Eyes & Ron Jon exclusive designs are well in the works... I'll post sculpt photos soon but these will only be available through Moon Eyes & Ron Jon - not through Tiki Farm.

P

What would wick diesel think of this thread?

(use search, I'm too lazy.)

M

I had no intention of flaming anyone, especially Holden.

I just didn't ever expect to see one of these.

Peace

This is the same mug, right?

http://www.tikifarm.com/miscTiki_p4.htm

M

Which is why there is "Cheeseburger at the Oasis" in Vegas

Lordy lordy, a small world it is. I did not know those gals owned that place as well. Ate there many a times when we stayed at the Aladdin.

I had family on Maui when they opened that first place. Hmmm, long story, for a Mai-Tai induced telling some other day, but I am not sure if I'll ever set foot in there again.

Hug and kisses nonetheless,
midnite

Holden, you have my utmost respect for turning down Buffett's money to preserve Tiki Farm's integrity! Besides why would Margaritaville want to provide its customers with a quality product when they can just get the mugs from China for $5.00 a case and mark them up.

I ate there when I was doing a liquor consulting gig for the Halekulani Hotel. I had previously eaten at the one in Maui.
The disinterest and malaise of our waitress was a real turn-off. I spoke to the manager, and he responded by comping some drinks.
Nice gesture, but I was overall unimpressed with the food, as well. I do like Holden's mug, however..the "cheese" factor makes it cool to me.

I did have a decent burger in Maui, so I am dubbing the chain "Pair-O-Dice" instead of Paradise as it is a real crap shoot to dine there. By the way, I am quite dismayed by all the angst directed towards Jimmy B! I am no Parrot-head, but the man is a great American singer-songwriter. I did not care for the Dead, either, but I don't refute their contribution to the contemporary lexicon of American Music. I am no redneck, but I appreciate the fact that Jerry Jeff Walker wrote Mr. Bojangles.

I blame the public at large for the demise of Tiki Culture, as the fickle herd is easily stampeded and scattered. Tiki as style had a very substantial run, and for people who are not into it....too bad for them.
It is mellow, fun, and it provides escape. At 115 degrees here in Phoenix, I need all the balmy tropical breeze I can handle!

M

The version from Vegas is now a collectors item; the restaurant has changed its name TODAY (due to a complaint or suit from Jimmy Buffett) to "Cheeseburger Las Vegas". They will no longer sell the "Cheeseburger at the Oasis" mugs.

The mug looks just like this one:

I found out last night at 9 PM and had no way to give any Vegas locals any notice--sorry.

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-08-01 09:10 ]

T

O.K. I admit it I saw it I loved it I surfed until I found it. So here is the official word on the Cheeseburger Tiki!!

You can order the Cheeseburger Tiki Mug that is made by Tiki Farms by Phone for $12.00 plus shipping. The name of the Place is Cheeseburger Restaurants, 1-800-228-7437 is the number & they are in Hawaii. Don't forget to ask if they can ship you a Mai Tai!!! They are really very nice!!! The web address is: http://www.cheeseburgerland.com but the mug is not on their site yet. So if you cannot get to Vegas or Hawaii call them up and get one or two!!!

Beth

V
virani posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 2:56 AM

I went there in Oahu. There's 2 locations now in Waikiki. In the west (kalakaua ave) and 1 in the east (Kuhio ave).
The place was Ok, the mugs were $12. Got 1 on each locations, as the name is not the same on the back of the mug (cheeseburger in Paradise and Cheeseburger Waikiki).
They have a great (fruity kind) mai tai. Although it's not a real, I like the way they had pineapple juice and the drink is serve on a pineapple (but expensive, about $10)

LOL! I like that mug! So cute! :D

I ordered one about a week or so ago, and I dealt w/ Susan. I have to agree with tikisgrl. She is one of the nicest people I ever talked with. Much aloha to the cheeseburger tikis.

Agree on all counts..I ordered one last week, and Susan was too cool.
She stated mine would have "Cheeseburger in Paradise" Maui on the back.
I like the whimsy on this mug.

8T

Finally got one of these clever little mugs for Mrs. 8FT and it came just in time for me to prepare a new years toast mai tai in it. Cheers to a great 2008!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 32 replies