Jonesy's Tiki....Update !!!

Pages: 1 19 replies

J
Jones posted on Thu, Jul 21, 2005 7:54 PM

Here's my latest tiki.

[ Edited by: Jones 2005-09-02 17:27 ]

T

Looks great. Wish my firat one was that smooth

Nice work! I really dig the mouth! welcome aboard, by the way!

What size is that piece?
Nice job also!

8T

Hi Jonesy, You're off to a great start there!
I particularly like the nose and mouth. The eyes have me a bit puzzled though. Are you going to add more details there? Anyway, as for stains, I suggest that you don't go too dark at first. In fact, take your time in making a selection and test it first on some of your chiseled shavings. Then when you are ready to stain the tiki, have a rag or old t-shirt ready to wipe off excess stain if it looks too dark to you. You can always add another coat later but you can't easily lighten it. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 4:50 AM

Very nice for a first timer. Welcome to TC! Always good to have more artists on board. Nice style you got too.

My feedback, to be taken in a constructive manner. A bit more detail in th eyes? A gap between the goatee and mouth? And a nice light stain.

Well done, can't wait to see the finished shots, and of course the next tiki you make :)

J
Jones posted on Sun, Jul 24, 2005 7:22 AM

Hey Guys

Thanks for the advice, The piece is allmost 4ft. IT was scrap from a log home builder. I was thinking of adding pupils, and then cut out the gaps in between the teeth and use black stain on the pupils and teeth gaps then light stain the hole thing. I have another piece a bit bigger to work on after. Again thanks

Later

S

Hey, that is looking goooood! You are off to a great start and already have a style.Be sure and update when you have him further along. I love those "in progress" pics and I know a lot of other folks here do as well.

welcome jonesy. excellent first tiki. keep up the good work.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 24, 2005 6:18 PM

Jones,

I dig it! Please post more pics as you get it further along. Your style is very different/fresh. I like that! I can't wait to see what you come up with as a finished product. I give it 4 saw revs (out of 5) so far, but I'm sure it will get 5 revs when it is finished! Take more pics!

-Gman

M

Nice "first one" Jones! Keep em coming.

The eyes almost look like Moon Eyes before the pupils would be cut in. You can refer to Gav's Moon Eye Tiki to see what I mean. A very cool start!

O

i like the mouth and the nose. good job with the differnt layers. i have to agree about the eyes, they have good shape, but are missing something (slits or some type of eye ball). anyway good job on the carving, keep them coming.

J
Jones posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2005 2:33 PM

Finally got it finished, Again thanks for the tips everyone. .............Later

B

Cool one Jones. No Jonse'n those tikis now , show us what you got.

T

Nice looking. Keep it up!

I like what you're doing with the inlays. I haven't seen that before.

Good Job on the tiki!! I wish my first one was half as nice as that, Thanks for sharing.

J
Jones posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2005 5:37 PM

Going to look for more wood. Talk to you all in a few months...............Later

B

Excellent work Jones. Are those your first tikis? They are very good. I like the stogie! What kind of wood are they? Can't wait for more.

Pages: 1 19 replies