Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

lake-front Wisconsin tiki bar

Pages: 1 1 replies

I

My family in Wisconsin had given me the heads up about a tiki bar that had opened up in Central Wisconsin. I was a bit skeptical at first, as this area is known more for paper mills, farming, and deer hunting than appreciation for Polynesian culture, but I felt obligated to locate and check the place out. The name of the place is 'Tiki Bar on Lake DuBay', and it is located in central Wisconsin, located between Stevens Point and Wausau on county Road DB, perhaps a 30 minute drive from the somewhat well-known Rudolph Grotto.

With only the address in hand, I drove along a scenic area of lakes, and finally found the address- it is located on a former restaurant site, and the still retains the fantastic googie sign of a previous occupant.

The main building that is seen from the road is a private residence. To get the tiki bar, you take a stairwell at the side of the building - marked by a carving and a Malibu promotional banner.

The best of the tikis on the site are located near the side door to the bar - it is a bit jarring to see these against a painted cinder block wall, but there is no way that a thatched wall would survive a Wisconsin winter.

There is an outdoor thatched roof, with windows where people can order their drinks from outside. The view from this thatched roof area is of lake DuBay, the palm trees are fake, but a nice counterpoint to the pines mostly found in the area.

Sadly, there really isn't much tiki inside yet - only a couple of small carvings, which are pretty much overwhelmed by some giant promotional beer banners. A sign listing the happy hour listed two brands of beer, and various of the Malibu flavored rums - I guess they are a form of tiki-ish wine coolers. Inside it still feels like a traditional Wisconsin bar, and not something to go out of your way for. I was tickled, though to see a tiki nodder and a bottle of Point beer located so close to each other - it is certainly a step in the right direction.

Overall, this place might rate only 1 tiki in the 'Book of Tiki', but I feel that this is one tiki in the right direction. The inside of the bar has a wood paneling which would convert nicely to more Polynesian look and feel, if the owner's were willing and able to further tikify their place.

Vern

Vern... do you have any contact info... phone number?

Maybe I can give them a little push in the right direction..... :wink:

PM me if you get a chance... Mahalo!

Pages: 1 1 replies