Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Is this Tiki?

Pages: 1 5 replies

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/calthai2003/detail?.dir=a502&.dnm=9678.jpg&.src=ph
I have a pair of them. They are from the Phillipines. Whadaya think?

[ Edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-25 02:16 ]

J

They look pretty neat but I wouldn't consider them tiki per say. That doesn't mean they wouldn't look cool hanging in a tiki bar!

A hand carved, wooden, tribal, spiritual image from an island in the Pacific and it is not "Tiki" per se. Very interesting. Oh well, thanks for your response.
I actually bought them in Oregon ten years ago and thought they are PNW Indian. Then I found a tiny word carved on the back of one that I read as Panama, for five years until a friend with shaper eyes, said "that is not Panama, that word is Philippines." I checked it with a magnifying glass and he was right.
Oh, by the way isn't everything that goes into a Tiki Bar "Tiki"

[ Edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-25 15:28 ]

[ Edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-25 19:32 ]

J

Would this be considered tiki? If we use the guidelines of being 'hand carved, wooden, tribal, spiritual image[s] from an island in the Pacific' could we consider this Philippine carved crucifix a tiki?

What Sven has stated so simply in the past was, “If it says ‘tiki’ on it, there should be tiki in it.” So no, not everything that goes into a tiki bar miraculously undergoes a sudden transformation to become "tiki."

H

No it is not tiki. It doesn't look tiki, it looks more Asian (Oriental) if anything.

On 2005-07-25 20:39, johntiki wrote:

could we consider this Philippine carved crucifix a tiki?

Well we TC's would not but Marquesans would refer to it as a "Catholic tiki".

Pages: 1 5 replies