Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kahiki Owner Michael Tsao passes away

Pages: 1 5 replies

It is with much sadness to report that Michael Tsao, the owner of the former Kahiki restaurant, and current owner of Kahiki Foods has passed away. He died Friday, July 22nd 2005 at a hospital in Vancouver, British Columbia while vacationing with family. He was 55. He had complications from diabetes and had complete kidney failure. An official press release will be released sometime today. Michael was a star in the Tiki community and he will be sorely missed. Let us all observe a moment of silence and then toast a giant Mai Tai in his honor. We will miss you Michael.

Jeff

[ Edited by: jeff central 2005-07-25 15:59 ]

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2005-07-25 15:59 ]

Here is a link to the official press release..........

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050725/clm058.html?.v=13

I

This is sad news.

One memory I have of Michael is at the Kahiki closing party. Most everybody was upstairs, but there were a few people in the downstairs rooms, where the food was served that day. With all the festivities going on upstairs, I might have expected to see some low-wage employee handing out the desserts, but instead there was Michael himself, the Kahiki CEO, who for a few minutes was handing out individual desserts to those around.

My sympathies go to the Tsao family and the Kahiki employees.

Vern

K

I just got word of this from one of the Kahiki outlet employees. Sad.

RIP Michael

Ahu

B

I have a very sad annoucment for all you kahiki fans out there. My friend and owner of the kahiki MICHAEL TSAO passed away on friday the 22 of july. He was only 55 years old much too young
barry

KM

I am saddened by the loss of Mr. Tsao. My wife and I had our wedding reception at the Kahiki, and Mr. Tsao personally made sure my guests were well taken care of. After the Kahiki closed down and was replaced by that monstrosity of a Walgreens, he would occasionally come into my print shop where immediately I would begin to beg him into opening up another Kahiki. "Well," he said, "if you have about four million dollars, I'll think about it. It's a seven-day-a-week-job, you know." I will miss his easy manner and most of all, his fabulous Kahiki. And until this day, I fervently hoped there would be another.But there won't be. Somehow, that's fitting. Long Live Mr. Tsao. Long Live The Kahiki!

Pages: 1 5 replies