Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Where to buy large, wooden tikis in the Northeast?

Pages: 1 19 replies

I've been scouring the Internet but can't find anywhere in the Northeast to buy big tiki heads/tiki totems. Looking for something I can go get with a truck. My wife gave me permission to get a big (5 to 6 feet)tiki for the bar but I don't wanna go broke paying shipping from Florida, California or Hawaii. Prefer within 100 miles of New England.

any help appreciated,
Pappy

You could try Tiki Murphs in New Jersey. on Rt 72 near Long Beach Island. They have a bunch of tikis and bars and such. I'm thinking its a little further than 100 miles from New England. - Its actually about 100 miles from NYC if that helps. Could be a fun trip if you hit up the beach too.

I'm not sure where in New England you are starting so its tough to say.

heres a link to whats they got at Tiki Murphs and where it be

http://www.tikimurph.com/

B

I bit the bullet and had TikiG do some carvings for me and shipped em from FL to CT. Shipped to work so saved a few bucks on the residential vs commercial price.

Unfortunately, other than carving one yourself, I haven't found anything close by (CT, MA, even RI). That TikiMurphs seems pretty cool (although the best tiki is his mascot one, and I don't see it for sale anywhere). If you make a whole trip of it and do the Jersey Shore it could be a blast.

Wildwood still has a ton of 50's Googie architecture, and there's always Atlantic City.

If I come accross anything, I'll let you know. Please do the same. Us New England Tikiphiles are at a disadvantage up here...we need to look out for one another!

http://bargoyle.yafro.com

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2005-07-27 09:46 ]

Guess Murph will have to do.

I'm thinking of taking wood carving in the fall at a crafts center. Who knows--maybe I'll be good at it. (I'm not good at anything else!)

thanks, guys

Ew. Just been to the website... Maybe I will hold out for a Florida trip.

J

I'm in the same boat pappy. Locating tiki carvings in New England isn't easy. I do know there's a place on on Rte 16 in NH (heading towards N. Conway) that has large carvings of totems and animals (bears etc...). From the road the quality looks very good.

I'm heading up to N. Conway in a few weeks and will note the name and location of the place. Heck I'll stop in if they're open to see if they've ever done any tiki stuff.

B

You might ask our RAffertiki if he can do one for you??

On 2005-07-27 17:34, pappythesailor wrote:
Ew. Just been to the website... Maybe I will hold out for a Florida trip.

Mahalo. I'll keep my eye out too but I don't have too much hope. Tiki is a four-letter word here in Worcester County, MA!

I visited Tiki Murph last week and it was quite enjoyable. Most of his carvings were of Tiki's. He had a beautiful Mermade there that was almost 6' tall. She was $650 and I thought she was well worth it. I purchased a Tiki that is 37" tall and 8" across the top for $50. I just fininshed coating it with marine varnish and it looks great.
I spoke to a young guy (Darin) there who is Murph's son and he told me that he does all of the carvings there now. He was very helpful with ideas about getting starting carving in the wood medium. I've taken classes many years ago to learn sculping with stone. I'm a bit aprehensive using a chain saw but I believe I will get over that soon enough.
If you ever get a chance to go to Tiki Murph's in New Jersey, go. Their Tiki's are much nicer in person than the website shows.
Wish me luck with wood have a safe summer all!

T

On 2005-07-29 14:38, Moondance wrote:
I visited Tiki Murph last week and it was quite enjoyable. Most of his carvings were of Tiki's. He had a beautiful Mermade there that was almost 6' tall. She was $650 and I thought she was well worth it. I purchased a Tiki that is 37" tall and 8" across the top for $50. I just fininshed coating it with marine varnish and it looks great.
I spoke to a young guy (Darin) there who is Murph's son and he told me that he does all of the carvings there now. He was very helpful with ideas about getting starting carving in the wood medium. I've taken classes many years ago to learn sculping with stone. I'm a bit aprehensive using a chain saw but I believe I will get over that soon enough.
If you ever get a chance to go to Tiki Murph's in New Jersey, go. Their Tiki's are much nicer in person than the website shows.
Wish me luck with wood have a safe summer all!

This message brought to you by Tiki Murph's. At Tiki Murph's, we say "If it it says tiki on it, we'll try to carve it!"

B

Pappy, If you don't mind Non-wood, I saw some pretty nice resin tikis at the Christmas Tree shops earlier this spring. (they had similar ones at Big Lots and Home Goods) Also saw some different styles last spring. I don't know if any will still be in stock, but if the pattern holds, spring 06 should have some new resin-tikis at these places.

Apart from that, I'd take Benz advice and hook up with a carver here on TC. There's some amazing talent on here (Ben himself is no slouch!) and you may find that the shipping is worth it to have a one-of-a-kind piece of art from a fellow TC'er.

Good Luck, and keep us posted!

ps these resin tikis were only about 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall, so they may not fit the bill

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2005-08-01 08:56 ]

Mahalo, Bargoyle. Mahalo, everybody!

Besides the Tiki I bought @ Tiki Murph's I bought two 2" glass floats (blue) and one 6" glass float (green) for only $8.00 for all three. I have no affiliation with the guys at Murphs they are just on the way to the beach for us. We will go there again on Friday and see if we can get more deals.

I bought a tiki from a carver in Florida. The tiki was carved in likeness of the one in "Hawaiian Eye". about 4 ft tall. shipping was reasonable, think about $30. He rolled it up in heavy duty cardboard with tape and sent it via ups I think. no problems at all
Aloha

T

I bought one of Bosko's redwood tikis. Shipping was low. It came UPS. Redwood is fairly light.

M

Tiki Rider,
Do they have a website?

M

We went back to Tiki Murphs last week to buy more glass floats. We met a person who was a guest carver name Tiki Jim from Florida. Wow, what a nice person he is. He showed Wes how he carves with a chainsaw. In fact he carved a beautiful Tiki Moon there for us. He did it with such ease it made it look real easy.
The other reason we went was to check out all of their Tiki bars. They have a large selection of them for sure. Tiki Joe gave us a few tips for our bar that were quite helpful.
Have a fruitful and happy week ahead of you!
Annie

TR

Moon dance
His name is Palm Tree Charlie. I sent u a P.M.
Aloha

M

Wes had a half day yesterday due to weather and went to Tiki Murph's to talk to their guest carver. It seems that Tiki Jim is from the Tampa area. He has been carving for over 20 years and he mentioned that his mentor is a gentleman named Tiki Bob from the same area.
Tiki Jim spent hours with Wes showing him his work and different technics of carving. What a nice person. Oh, I also want to post a Tiki Moon that we have of his that is really cool. He showed Wes exactly how to carve that Moon step by step. In fact he said "go ahead and copy it, that what it's about, sharing" Tremendious person he is indeed.
I need to get over there on Friday and see him before he goes back to Florida.

Pages: 1 19 replies