Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Free or cheap website to get appraisals for Hawaiiana

Pages: 1 6 replies

I have been looking for a free website that will look at photos of my stuff and give me a ballpark estimate on value. I tried HulaNSurf, but they have stopped giving online appraisals. It is not that I think I have anything very valuable. I just don't know how common or rare some of my stuff is. I am constantly told that my stuff is not "TIKI" or not "TIKI" enough to be of interest on the main topic threads here, because it is merely Hawaiian. Any help will be appreciated.

M

I would compare what you have with what has been selling on eBay. I wouldn't use it as the bible, but for most types of collectibles you'll get a good reference on there.

Matt

D

Nuimaleko not to cause any friction here, just curious as to why your interested so much in the street value of your collection.
If "you" like it and it makes "you" happy shouldn't that be where the value of your collection be, not weather it is rare or has a high dollar value to go along with it?
As far as Joe Shmoe's opinion of my "tiki collection" not being tiki at all or tiki enough, why would I care what someone else's opinion or definition of what "tiki" is?
I have my definition of it and my collection reflects that.
I have always look at a persons collection (whatever it is) as more of a reflection of the person who's doing the collecting.
Does any of that make sense? Cuz I think I've just confused myself...

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-07-28 13:38 ]

You'd be hard pressed to find a more informed group than right here on Tiki Central.

Why not just ask us?

(And if you're afraid it's not "tiki" enough, just post in the Beyond Tiki or the Bilge forums).

Whatcha got?
Tiki Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2005-07-28 13:46 ]

H

Yes, feel free to take a try here in Beyond Tiki -- the primary focus of Tiki Central is midcentury Polynesian Pop, but naturally there is a lot of interest in Hawaiiana and oceanic art as well, and that's exactly the sort of thing that Beyond Tiki is for.

Watching eBay is a great suggestion. Have you tried the eBay discussion forums?

T

I dont think theres anything wrong with wanting to know the value of your collection. You could just pretend you're on the Antiques Radshow... 'Yes, I would never sell, it, I just want to know the value for insurance purposes... yes! That's it!'

I am curious mostly. Some I bought in a junk shop in Honolulu 10 years ago and the rest has been given to me, mostly by my neighbor who haunts yard sales, so I have no idea if any of it has much value. As for it being "Tiki" or not, I have come to the conclusion that I don't give a rat's ass. I actually find what is defined as "Tiki" here pretty dark and depressing. I need bright colors, flowers and tropical print fabrics around me to be happy. "Tiki" tends to be all scowling face images and tapa cloth colors; browns, tans, creams and black, nice rich earth tones and organic stuff like bamboo, rattan and raffia,all of which which I like, but I gots to have color too. I like what I call aloha style; which is typical of Hawaiian homes, a mix of Asian and Western design influences with maybe a touch of Africa or Latin America thrown in for spice(everyone loves the exotic, even those in exotic lands)Bright colors and nice tropical prints in table linens and curtains, but generally plain contemporary furniture.(like from Sears) I never saw a lot of bamboo or rattan in private homes in Hawaii. Aloha style has no rules except it should make you feel happy.
Anyway here is a link to my stuff such as it is. I have a lot more monkey pod stuff, about 25 sarongs from around the world, an aloha shirt collection, a Hawaiian music collection,and about a dozen Hawaiian and tropical print comforter and sheet sets. One of the comforters is on the sofa in the living room picture. You will see sarongs; on chairs, tables, doors, and flowing out of baskets. I have some bamboo lamps, and a lot more framed photos of Hawaii in the bedroom. Nearly everything was a gift, hand me down or thrift store find, except the shirts, sarongs and bedding.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/calthai2003/album?.dir=e510&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

[ Edited by: nuimaleko 2005-08-03 05:49 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies