Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Big Woo Bar - progress report (New pics 12-22-05)

Pages: 1 31 replies

Hello, All!

I have finally gotten around to taking some simple pictures of our newly renovated backyard. I know there are old pictures of what the place looked like before around here someplace, but since I am in full Tiki-Mode as of late, I have no idea where to look for them!

The landscaping is coming right along as is the lighting. Tikis and jungle animals are in place. I suppose we are going more for an Adventureland feel since my son (as well as myself) are huge fans of that particular 'land! :wink:

There are still some odd items laying about as it really is a work in progress.

** I will add some night shots later on this evening. Bar construction shots will be added during the course of next week!

TikiTikiBoom

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

[ Edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-01 12:30 ]

[ Edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-04 19:45 ]

[ Edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-10 11:28 ]

[ Edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-22 23:42 ]

[ Edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-29 01:46 ]

[ Edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-12-22 13:03 ]

M
Moki posted on Thu, Jul 28, 2005 4:02 PM

Looking good....looking good!!!

Can't wait to see it in person.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

O

looks like its coming along well. it has what every tiki back yard needs, and that is tropical creatures and tiki statues.

Okay .. a lil update.. some more shots of the walls and surrounding areas. The nights shots didn't turn out at all.. so I'm going to try again this evening. I keep missing the "dusk" lighting and my camera doesn't like night shots it would seem.

The future site of the Big Woo Bar 'n Grill!

The walls will come together in three stages....

After the base coat comes the tape...and a second color

The final product.. minus the thatching yet to paint near the roofline...

Another side of the yard.. our under-the-sea wall... Mom and my lil guy did the work here!

More to come as we move along!!

D

you did that bamboo wall... with paint & masking tape? it looks spectacular, with a LOT less splinters than the real deal!

M
Moki posted on Mon, Aug 1, 2005 12:57 PM

What an amazing use of paint and tape. Very creative!!! Can't wait...getting closer!!

:drink:

Thanks for the replies ! It's amazing how it all comes together slowly but surely. A room full of tiki stuff just doesn't do it for me. I need my bar up so I can stuff it full!

Octane - Yes we definitely were going for the exotic look. More of a ...Jungle Cruise meets Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom meets The Tiki Room. :wink:

dogbytes - Thanks!! It does take a lot longer than cutting bamboo would, but the results are really what I wanted all along! I just kinda tried it out on a small spot and said hey this is IT!! Now I can't stop myself. Whole house may end up this way if I have the time! :D

Moki - Thanks for all your support and inspiration! Ric's as well! Talk about creative! Whew! The taping is tough on the fingertips over the stucco. Fingertips are callused now haha! Can't wait to have you both here!

Okay just a couple more pics for an update.

Thankfully I finished the bamboo behind the bar BEFORE construction...

Still have more to do though.... it's a good size wall..

The basic structure is up. Nice and substantial to avoid any bar collapse-mishaps, I hope :wink:

The roofing and the bar itself will be completed next week.

And one night shot that didn't turn out too bad.

Thanks for looking!

M
Moki posted on Thu, Aug 4, 2005 8:21 PM

Brave woman you are to be working so high on a ladder to reach the top of that wall. You are following the directions on the top step that says "This is NOT a step" right!!?? Ric always seems to have trouble with that one :D

The framing looks great too. Update us again soon....

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

F

Great creativity..... if were to paint the bamboo again and knew the project ... would you do it. i started a project like that one and swore not again. But yours looks great and you seem to be doing more and more.

Really like your work.

T

Your work is great. Looks like it is going to be fun!

Moki - Thanks again! ..and yes, I am verrrrrrrrrrrry mindful of that "this is NOT a step" rule on that ladder. I'd actually like to NOT be in traction for the party so I am trying to be ever-so-careful up! :lol:

flacookz - I would definitely do the project again. It's rough on the fingertips and the ladder work is a lil scary, but the results are so worth the efforts for me. I had intended on just one wall, where the bar was to be, but it's like real bamboo.. it's spreading everywhere now.:wink: Just can't stop myself haha! Compliments on my work, considering the amazing things you've done with carvings, is high praise indeed. Thank you.

Thanatos - Thank you! I am sure when it's all completed, things will settle into a nice relaxed Aloha feel and it will be a blast! Love to have you make it out!...if you can stand the flight/drive :wink: hehehe Just took a peek at your carvings. WOW! The Pirate Grotto?? Just.. wow!

Very nice work. I don't even need to fly, or drive too far!! Let us know! We'll come help ya break it in proper!

Pops+

Created some flicker flame tiki torches this afternoon.

Using electric candlesticks, a hacksaw and my trusty hot glue gun.

Made about 8 today. Hoping to finish the other 6 tomorrow after some serious bamboo painting.

On 2005-08-05 21:57, PapeToaTane wrote:
Very nice work. I don't even need to fly, or drive too far!! Let us know! We'll come help ya break it in proper!

Pops+

PapeToaTane,

Thank you kindly! We'd absolutely love to have you! Here's the link for the event: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15823&forum=4&4
...and I'll send you more details in a private message!

Updated pictures from the construction this week....

The face frame will be added Friday. Doors to follow. The space below the untiled area is for the kegerator.

The mixing area will have a counter top placed in Friday as well. To the right is the area for the fridge.

Tiles will be placed this weekend....

Thatch, bamboo, lighting and all other decor will be put up during next week with a projected completion date of next Friday! Woohoo! Then one week until Grand Opening!

Hope you enjoy the updates! One day it's just a stack of wood, the next it's a BAR! Who knew! :wink:

More to follow soon!

Mahalo!

holy crap...I love your bar! The roof lines and the painted wall...absolutley perfect! Looks like you have some real carpentry skills...the house looks vintage, how much trouble was it to connect your nice new plumb and true bar, up to the old out of plumb house? Drop many f-bombs during framing?

Keep sending the pix...their really great!
See ya..908tiki.

[ Edited by: 908tiki 2005-08-11 12:59 ]

J

That is one Fine looking bar, I can just see myself sitting there ordering a drink or 2. Keep up the great work and Like 908Tiki said keep the pix coming. I love seeing bars in progress, they are awesome and inspiring to us tikis. Later

Looking good! Do you have a need for a sink? I may have a stainless steel one up for grabs. Really looking forward to the grand opening.

Aloha!
Great looking bar! Love the sea wall.......please post a pic of that when it is done. You are a taping machine.......I think I would have gone the lazy route and made a stencil.......looks good.....

908tiki - Oh thank you for the positive feedback! But I cannot take the credit for the hard carpentry skills. I have a fantastic contractor that swings the hammer! I designed the bar but he and another gentleman did the heavy duty stuff. The house was built in the early '50's. The bamboo painting I did all myself and while I don't think they cursed too much, I know they scratched their heads a couple times thinking.. "Now HOW are we gonna get it to work the way she wants it??" Haha!

Jamie71 - I know JUST how you feel. In a few more days I'll be able to do JUST what you pictured... RELAX and have a cocktail or 2.. ahhhhhhhhhh .. SO close I can almost taste it!

Matt - SO so sorry it's taken me this long to get back with you on the sink. Unfortunately, I don't have the plumbing to warrant one but oh how the offer is much appreciated! I'm looking forward to the grand opening, too! It's going to be a lovely afternoon and evening, I believe.

bongofury - Thank you! The sea wall is pretty much finished as is. With the exception of a large tiki added in the corner. The colors are very subtle and the credit goes to my Mom nd my son. They did a really terrific job on it and had fun in the process which is what this whole experience really is all about! I am DONE with taping now, too! I would have used a stencil but I wanted a truly erratic feel to the bamboo. No two poles are the same! It's going to feel really good to be able to sit back and enjoy the hard work this weekend :)

Whew.. !! As you can see, it's been awhile since I posted anything. I've been a BIT busy lately. Some of the pics are a tad dark (it got too late after some fine tuning yesterday) More daytime pics will following tomorrow in the AM!!

There is still more decor to go up as we move closer to the opening....

I hope you all are enjoying the process and the step by step progress as we move forward everyday! Final pics will be added three days before the grand opening. Have a couple special things to do in the tree yet!

Thanks again for all the feedback and support!

A couple of daytime shots.

Here is the tree that nearly canopies the whole yard. It will be lit up tomorrow and I'll post then as well.

More to follow!

Looking good. You've done so much in such a short amount of time. I think it's awesome.

A couple more evening pictures ....

Two HUGE prized possesions....I must give thanks and credit where it is due!!

Matt Reese made this beautiful sign for The Big Woo and brought it to the grand opening. It captures exactly what I envisioned while dreaming of a sign one day!!

It was such a wonderful surprise and it looks just perfect above the bar!

Many, many thanks to Matt for his talent and thoughtfulness!

....And in case you didn't notice this before....

That lovely lamp on the left is a handcrafted OnaTiki bar warming gift. The first light to be put up in the bar and very special!

Again, huge thanks thanks to Ona, his hard work and his time! Can't thank him enough, honestly!

It never ceases to amaze me of the quality of people here at TC. Their kindness and generosity knows no bounds. I feel very lucky to be part of it all.

Mahalo!

B

Awesome Tiki Bar there, TikiTikiBoom, you have done a LOT of work in a short amount of time.. Work to be Super Proud of. Thanks so much for sharing,
HappyHappyHappy

On 2005-08-29 05:14, Benzart wrote:
Awesome Tiki Bar there, TikiTikiBoom, you have done a LOT of work in a short amount of time.. Work to be Super Proud of. Thanks so much for sharing,
HappyHappyHappy

There is new work to be proud of in the Woo, Ben. YOUR work!

This Maori is absolutely stunning. The detail in Ben's work is truly amazing and the pictures in his Marketplace thread and the ones here simply do NOT do his artistry justice.

He fits into the Woo as though that spot was waiting for him all along!

Thank you, Ben. For your time and talent and all the care that went into making this. I am very honored to have your work here with us!

B

WOW, Thank you too TikiTikiBoom. I Must say that you are correct in that he looks like he was made for that spot on the wall. He Owns it and I'm sure he is Very Prowd to be hanging around the BigWoo. Thanks So much for your kind words and for supporting my meager attempts at Tiki Art.
THE BIG WOO ROCKS.
HappyHappyHappy.

O

Wow, big Ben #4 within stealing,.. Umm I mean walking distance,that rocks..Ben if all your creations are moving west,I think you should do the same.

OOOOHHHHH!!!! what a beatiful addition to a beautiful place! A big ben only a couple of hours drive? When's your next party? :wink:

You better watch out tho Woo...in those pictures it looks like he's eyeing your beer taps...then it will be your rum stores...

Yeah, ben when ya coming out?

So that's what happened to the Big Benzart...just when I was scraping up the bucks to see if he still
had it....well...I'm sure it's comfortably at home at Big Woo....nice addition to very cool
surroundings.

Pages: 1 31 replies