Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Bamboo fencing

Pages: 1 9 replies

J

Hey guys, i started building my bar, I have some pics so far and will download them soon. I was wondering where I can get bamboo fencing and bamboo's???? Home depot? Lowes?etc?? Also I want to install a glass top on the bar with pics and stickers under but don't want to srcew the glass down, any suggestions on how to install glass top for bar?? Thanks guys.

You could do a "sunken" frame for the glass and clear caulk the edges...

J

That sounds cool, do you put the plywood on first them the glass? And how would you do a sunken glass top? Just curious.

Depends on your design, but lay down the ply with a frame work... Make sure there's enough cross beams to support the thickness of glass to avoid hospital trips if you elevate it off the ply. The top of the framework edge should be routed out to fit the glass slightly sunk, with minimal tolerance around the edges. (The cross beams should also be flush to this beveled depth.) Alot of glass coffee tables use the same technique... The height of the framework from the ply will determine if you put your stickers or mugs under the glass... The bar rail should overlap the front edge of the glass if possible, or be extremely flush. All the edges need sealed well or spills will turn into bleeding and cleaning messes.

I'm sure there are several other good tricks too- This just happens to be one I've considered... :)

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

The Lost Resort

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-28 18:32 ]

J

What did you use to seal the glass top? I am still a little confused on how to do the top but I will get it done with no problem. I was thinking about putting bamboo around the top after I cut it in half. Do you have pics of your bar? Sure would like to see some pics of bars on the site to get some type of example. Thanks

J

Jamie - I don't believe home improvement stores on the east coast stock bamboo/reed fencing... unless you live in Florida. I bought my bamboo fencing from Oceanic Arts - shipping was a little expensive but the stuff looks great!

Just went to Lowes and bought some reed fencing. 6'x 15' section for $20.00. works good with a staple gun.

Aloha

J

Thanks Tiki rider, we have a Lowe's here. I will have to check it out then. Also any suggestions on how to do the top of my bar? Still in the air about how I want to do. Thanks

ST

Jamie,

If you find a source of large diamter bamboo in the area let me know. If you want small stuff (1" or so) you are welcome to come over to my place and cut it, I have a bamboo grove taking over my back yard.

PS, I am getting ready to start a similar project with vintage surfing pictures under the bart top. I am going to put them directly on the wood and polyurethane coat it since it will be for outside use.

You can e-mail me at [email protected].

J

Thanks Surf tiki, where do u live in Va beach? I could use any size bamboo. I have my bar built except the top being coated and stickers and pics and installing a mini fridge under the bar, cool. Got some good ideas, just not sure how I want the top just yet. But the bar will look cool outside on the patio along with the torches and fire pit, yeah. Talk to you later.

Pages: 1 9 replies