Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

I need a good dose of Tiki (kind of a rant)

Pages: 1 10 replies

I've really come to the conclusion that there is just not enough tiki in my life. If it weren't for TC, I'd go completely insane. I have serious tiki envy for you guys in SoCal (and NoCal, for that matter). I love NYC, and there's some decent tiki bars, but the drinks aren't that good, and most of the people that go there are not really into tiki, and just drink beer. My apartment is too small for a tiki bar (even a closet folding kind), and I don't have a spare room that I can really tiki out (let alone a yard).

So tonight I'm going to throw on some exotica and mix up some TV Mai Tai's and Rum Barrels (thank goodness for Beachbum Berry), and pop in Donavan's Reef in the DVD.

Maube it's time to relocate. Rant over.

Hey Urban
I feel your pain...what to do...what to do...
I do know these folks at TC are about the most creative bunch I've seen.
Maybe put a similar thread on the "General" or "Creating" forum about limited space and watch the ideas pour in.
If you give out a bit more info on your place, like are you 10 stories up, or do you have a balcony, or do you have roof access, stuff like that might help with more ideas.
Don't get frustrated...if there's a will there's a way!

Urban Tiki, please console yourself with the fact that you are living in the greatest city on the planet. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I envy you!

P

Don't listen to SS, Urban TIki.
He just wants to keep California all to himself and his tribe of Tiki-Hogs.
That's his bag, lying.
Pure evil.

Satan's Sin speaks the truth. We'd trade a whole summer of drinking and dining at the Bali Hai and Hanalei for just one night in NYC at CBGBs, the Cafe A Go Go and Otto's Shrunken Head followed up by a rollicking good time of unprotected sex and substance abuse at the Chelsea Hotel with a coupla of Blue Oyster Cult groupies from Jersey.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 30, 2005 9:19 PM

Hey dude, at least you can go to a tiki bar! I can't even go to a shitty one.

Yeah, TC is the saving grace though.

UT

After spending the weekend making and downing some tiki drinks and listening to a lot of exotica, I feel much better.

Yeah the grass is always greener abd you don't know what you got 'til it's gone. Deep down I know if I left here I would long to come back within a year. I actually spent two years in Florida- a year on South Beach and a year in Sarasota on the west coast a block from the beach on Siesta Key, an island in the Gulf of Mexico. I enjoyed both places for a while, but ended up getting bored and it was really hard to meet decent wahinis in my age group (40s)- most were a lot older or a lot younger. I then spent a year and a half in Chicago, but couldn't wait to get back to NYC. I think a trip to SoCal sometime in the coming winter would be a good idea, though, I gotta get to Tiki Ti!

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to let some creative types help me to tikify my place, so I think I'll make a new post in a more approriate section.

Yes, Pablus -- I am pure evil.

And wish I could live in Manhattan.

Manhattan would be perfect if Trader Vic's came back. There was talk of that happening a few years ago. I know TV is expanding, so I guess there's still hope.

Going to a tiki bar or havin a tikfied home environment is great, but there's nothing wrong with your initial response, either. Havin a drink and listening to some exotica. My love of tiki started with the music, and before I ever bought my first mug or visited my first tiki bar or threw my first luau, there was nothing like listening to Ritual of the Savage or AfroDesia and just closing my eyes and dreaming...the music conjures something to me that even the tangible, like a nice collection of tiki mugs or a visit to a tiki bar can't match. The whole vibe of exotica is based on pure imagination and I find the places and imagery conjured in my head and heart by the music usually far exceeds the reality. As much as socializing and reveling in rum fueled debauchery can be part of the tiki scene, so can the deserted island feel of solitude and wistful contentment. I don't know if that makes any sense, but theres my two cents.

On 2005-07-30 18:41, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Satan's Sin speaks the truth. We'd trade a whole summer of drinking and dining at the Bali Hai and Hanalei for just one night in NYC at CBGBs, the Cafe A Go Go and Otto's Shrunken Head followed up by a rollicking good time of unprotected sex and substance abuse at the Chelsea Hotel with a coupla of Blue Oyster Cult groupies from Jersey.

No, Vanilla Fudge groupies! I've heard so many stories from Frank Zappa bootlegs that my interest has been peaked, not enough to make friends with Carmine Appice in hopes of seeing the Mudshark Movie, but enough to wonder about it...

Pages: 1 10 replies