Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first attempt

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hi all. I have been lurking around here and there for a while now and I finally finished my first carving. Just wanted to post it to get some feedback. Feel free to offer any critique what so ever....
Thanks in advance

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 30, 2005 2:24 AM

Pretty damn cool for a first attempt! The black highlights really, er, highlight the features. Very cool stuff.

Welcome to TC! Apparently you have taken on board plenty whilst lurking around. I thought i was being watched. Part of me reckons you should try and have a go at more detail, part of reckons the wood grain and stain is sweet and simple as it is.

Again, very nice.

B

Welcome to TC ChairmanKaga and a Very nice first tiki. It is very advanced for being the first. Cute expression, like "who me? I didn't take the chocolate bar!"
Don't stop now.

I like the last pic where he is peeping out from the foliage. Very mischievous!

Really nice first effort. It will be fun to see what you do next.

Very nice tiki, Kaga. Yes, he is mischievious-looking with that grin. Thanks for posting.

Chairman-K,

He's got a nutty look in his eyes. I've always liked crazy looking tikis. What's next? We'd all love to see lots more tiki pix from you here on the board!

A-A

welcome.excellent ferst tiki.keep up the good work.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 31, 2005 3:29 PM

Chairman K,

Good job! He has a great look on his face. What type of wood/tools did you use?

-Gman

Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone.
To answer some questions it's palm though I am not sure which type. We recently cut down a large palm in our front yard that could pose a threat during a hurricane or large storm. It was about 30' tall or so so I ended up with some 2-3' lengths (above). I am borrowing some gouges and chisels from a friend. They were her fathers but she does not use them and has graciously allowed me to borrow them (I could post a pic because I am not sure of their sizes/gouges etc). I actually burned the darkened sections with a Bernz-o-matic torch and then sealed the whole thing with a couple coats of polyurethane though I may still add one more coat to ensure it lasts for a while...

[ Edited by: Chairman Kaga 2005-07-31 20:16 ]

T

Chairman Kaga, that looks great. I started carving about 3 years ago, and it is even better then some I have made! Keep it up. I have been selling mine at a flea market where I also sell my tiki kids clothing line. I get between $75-$100 for them depending on size. And it is great therapy! :)

Alez Tiki! I like the patterning of the eyes, almost like a tattoo, I'd love to see more detailed pictures of how the eyes were carved & burnt.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2005-08-02 08:39 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies