Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New?....Twin Falls, Idaho Tiki Bar Pics

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hello,
Just returned from a road trip to Yellowstone and while driving through Twin Falls Idaho we ran across The Cove Lounge. Did a number of searches on TC and elsewhere and couldn't find a mention of its Tiki qualities. Apologies in advance if this has been discussed or found. Pics are included below, sorry I couldn't get more, quality or quantity. I was really tired and the locals very drunk. While they were friendly, they seemed a little wary of pictures. The bar is also a restaurant but really feels like a bar. I will try to post a profile in locating tiki soon with details. Long and short is that is an old location turned into a budweiser hangout. Still, much of its original polynesian and nautical qualities exist. Original A-frame front, leaning large tiki in the front, tiki masks, woven wall coverings, bamboo, mounted fish, netting, glass ball floats and an older painting on the front wall of a tropical nautical scene! Even small light-up blowfish over every table. I just had a beer, wasn't going to risk the tropical drinks but that doesn't mean they were bad. Didn't try them. I was sorry I didn't have more time to spend or that the atmosphere wasn't right for more tiki archeology. Still a cool unexpected find and the drinks were cheap! Well worth a stop if you are in the area.

next morning view of front

night view of front

front tiki, probably about 5 feet or so. Love the coffee can tiki torch!

side A-frame and entrance

tiki mask and puffer over our table

more tables and pufferfish.

Hope this is of interest!

M
  1. Fantastic find. Great work.

2. Good to hear from the Lava's!

neat find! in idaho of all places??! what a great treasure. :)

so when are you coming up north on 99???! :wink:

RD

I spent many sporadic years of my childhood in Idaho Falls and was very disappointed when the book Tiki Road Trip declared "there is no evidence of Tiki in Idaho" or something like that. Glad to see there's something. I wonder what kind of history the place has. Anyone? Anyone? Anyone with any Idaho tiki experience?

Also, the affordability of drinking in Idaho is a welcome surprise for us city folks who are used to paying $6+ per drink. Too bad there isn't much else going on down there...

-Joe

Years ago I passed thru Twin Falls while traveling to Hailey Idaho. I took a wrong turn, and discovered "The Cove" while trying to find my way back to the right road.

I stopped and took pictures of the outside only, they were closed at the time. I remember seeing the very old tikis out front, an outrigger, and very old sun faded turtle shell hanging on the outside wall.

I have to do some serious digging to find the pics I took.

Thats totally cool that you got to see the insides.

T

On 2005-07-31 20:35, Rum Demon wrote:
I spent many sporadic years of my childhood in Idaho Falls and was very disappointed when the book Tiki Road Trip declared "there is no evidence of Tiki in Idaho" or something like that. Glad to see there's something.

Me too!

I spent three days in Twin Falls once, and in spite of many conversations with the locals, I managed to miss this little gem.

Great find!

Beautiful nostalgic building. I'm very impressed. Great find!

Sabu

H

Very cool looking bar. Great find

What a fantastic spotting! Thanks for getting the pics to share with everyone. It's so great to hear that there are still hidden little preserved pockets like that.

UB

:music: I'm livin in my own Tiki Idaho! :music:
Thanks for the heads up Lava!

T
thejab posted on Mon, Aug 1, 2005 3:15 PM

Idaho? Youdaho!

I love it when people discover a tiki place that not much is known about. Nice discovery Larry!

Okay, I dug around and found the pics. Several are very similar to Larry Lava's pictures. I also found out it was about 5 years ago that I took these. This was before I built my hut, so several of the pics were taken for design references (the closeup of the roof peak).

very old and faded Sea turtle shell on the side

Front door

Tiki and outrigger by the front door

Side door leading into parking lot

Close up of roof peak

Even better pics.
Thanks Trout!

WOW!!! What an amazing facade!

Isn't the rush of finding some lost or mostly
forgotten tiki palace a one of a kind thing?

Pages: 1 13 replies