Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic's ashtray (with hunting tip)

Pages: 1 2 replies

W

I just found my first Trader Vic's ashtray at a junk shop for 99 cents. It was also the first TV ashtray I've ever seen. Here's a tip on this particular model for those who, like me, have never seen one: It doesn't look like an ashtray. It's saucer sized and made of thick white porcelin/china. There are three indentations on the edge (in gold!) for cigarettes. I found mine on top of a stack of saucers and only noticed it because of the picture of "natives" on it (this one has an image of what looks like one fellow about to behead another, but there's no machete in the beheader's hand. The image is taken from a larger Guy Huze picture as seen in Vic's 1946 "Book of Food and Drink"). So now there's one more spot to check in the junk shops: The stacks of mismatched saucers.

You've never seen trader vic ashtrays?

I have 4 currently on auction:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=ezcheez&include=0&since=-1&sort=2&rows=25

W

Let's see, a quick look at my original message...Oh, yes, that's what I said...I'd never seen a Trader Vic's ashtray before my find.

So I'm wondering if one can get a Trader Vic's ashtray on eBay for a total price of 99 cents (Well, $1.08 with tax).

Pages: 1 2 replies