Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SoCal Gentle Introduction to Tiki Day - early September?

Pages: 1 14 replies

H

Some of us are very, very lucky, and have spouses and family who get "the whole tiki thing." (I'm unusually lucky -- when we're on the way out the door and I'm wanting another 5 minutes on the computer to wrap up a post, all I have to say is "there's this guy, he made this cool website about tiki, it's just a little addictive....")

But I know how frustrating it can be when you're out as the spouse in a setting where you don't feel like you belong, where everyone seems to have their own language and inside jokes.

Furthermore, I know just how good the Tiki crowd can be at making people feel welcome.

I'd like to propose a special event that is totally geared toward bringing out the non-tiki better halves and families. Ways I'm thinking we can make an effort to welcome these folks during this special event:

• Be inclusive, giving backstory when talking tiki
  • Make an effort to ask about the sig others' interests
  • Go a little easy on the drinking
  • Choose a location that's tiki-friendly but a little low on the in-your-face-kitsch scale (Damon's? Trader Vic's?)

If nothing else, non-tiki significant others might find that they have common interests with other non-tiki significant others, and might be more excited about coming out more regularly. Who knows?

Of course, anyone who has an interest in spreading the aloha should come and join us -- the idea here isn't to have a couples' night or a family night, but rather to put our best foot forward as a group in making these people feel welcome.

I'm thinking this would happen early evening on a Saturday, perhaps in early September? Chime in if you're interested!

WooHoo! You can count Soccer Tiki and I in on any event that would help to spread the Aloha Spirit!!! :)

Depends on how early on a Saturday, but if I can make it, I will!!
As someone who, admittedly, is much more into the social side of this wonderful Ohana we call Tiki Central than the actual Tiki stuff itself (although I do have a few prized posessions that are most definitely tiki--Thanks, Kirby), I may be able to offer a bit of insight to those who "just don't quite get it"...

Dolphin Tiki

[ Edited by: Dolphin Tiki 2005-08-02 17:44 ]

As I said when we talked about this in person - we are so in!! (That's me and my Equi-hini - hey - I just made that up - I think I like it!!) It's just such a great idea!! Either place works - but - Damon's would be far preferred!

However, late-in-the-season horse-show schedule could get in the way! :(

Thanks, Humu!! I love it!!

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2005-08-03 07:26 ]

On 2005-08-02 23:21, ookoo lady wrote:

Should Crazy Al get a haircut and put on a suit? Should Dr. Z serve Budweiser instead of Mai Tais? Should Tiki_Bong go to charm school?

No. YES! No.

H

I understand your sentiment, but this is definitely not about becoming bland enough to be palatable.

Rather, this is about just taking a moment to pause in our conversations to reach out to those who don't have the same history with tiki that we do. Ideally we would do that all the time when people bring guests with them who are new to tiki, but sometimes the conversation just barrels on with no pausing to explain simple things, like why we cringe when we hear "mai tai" and "grenadine" in the same breath, what a "leilani" is and why you wouldn't pay $20 for one, etc. It's also about acknowledging that other people don't have to have interests in common with us to be interesting to us. These people may be just as weird as we are, in a different direction.

I'm certainly not saying that every tiki event should be "slowed down" for these folks to catch up with us, but I think that it's worth an effort to slow down now and then to hold a hand out to help people catch up, instead of leaving them feeling alienated.

If these folks continue to feel alientated and unwanted at events, we all lose out on getting to spend time with their tiki-lovin' spouses, and we might be losing out on an opportunity to introduce these people to a side of tiki that they will like.

relax and stay a while?

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-08-03 00:08 ]

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2005-08-03 07:27 ]

H

Nothing's wrong with in-your-face kitsch, hell, I drive an hour each way every Wednesday to soak it up at Tiki-Ti. Just wanted to aim for an environment that's got a little more emphasis on the more-familiar "restaurant" part of the equation, but is still solid tiki. I'd hardly say that suggesting we get together at Damon's -- an old-school tiki restaurant -- can be equated with saying Crazy Al has to cut his hair and put on a suit.

OL

Humuhumu, please forgive my lack of aloha. Of course you should be able to organize any sort of event that you want, and I shouldn't be a party-pooper.

Ookoo Lady

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2005-08-03 07:30 ]

Well I think it's a great idea!

I wish it were easier for me to hop on a plane to participate, but c'est la vie.

I'll try to do some of those things when a newbie hops on shout, or at the next northwest tiki event!

R

I think we have already been beaten to the punch. Here is a website listing dates already scheduled for this type of event.
http://www.cobo.org/index.php?name=EZCMS&menu=6&page_id=2

I've been to a few and they are nothing but good times, and not very tiki at all!
:wink:

H

Riptide you are so funny, hahahaha.

I actually prefer the dinning room at Damon's - with the palm thatch and incredible murals to the nautical Trader Vics - although I like the Trader Vics bar much better.

The menu at Damon's is cheaper (although not as interesting):

http://www.774food.com/search.aspx?z=Glendale&c=&sd=False&st=False&sr=False&se=False&sc=False&sb=False&rn=

Pages: 1 14 replies