Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Aloha Wave Lounge, Prague

Pages: 1 12 replies

S

Hi!

I'm going to prague in a couple of weeks an I thought I'd check this place out: http://www.alohapraha.cz

The menu holds enough non-tiki stuff for me to suspect it won't be all that great but I just thought I'd ask whether anyone has been there?

P

Cool! A tiki bar in Prague! Quite a menu, too. A whole list of classic American cocktails plus some non-classic versions of tiki cocktails. The Mai Tai is made with Stroh (plus pineapple and grenadine - oh well). There is even a Mystery Drink on the menu. Obviously targeted to American tourists with menu in both Czech and English. Love all the photos from places like Mai Kai, Kahiki and Don the Beachcomber. If I were going to Prague, I would absolutely "Czech" this place out (er, sorry about that).

I see one Tiki, one mask, one fishnet float and one surfborard in the typical Praguian catacombes....and over ten images from the Book of Tiki on the site and in the menu!
And I used to laugh about the cabdriver who proudly told me they now had a Planet Hollywood there when I went there in the late 90s, funny.

LOL! Looks like somebody got a bit scanner-happy with The Book Of Tiki! LOL!

Looks like a fun place! Hey... if I'm ever in Prague... I now know the first place I will want to go to! :)

Aah, Praha!
Hands DOWN, the most beautiful city and architecture I have ever seen!!
You will enjoy every minute of that place. Even the metro is gorgeous and easy. I mean, every view is eye candy (even the gorgeous Czech women - and I don't even shop on that side of the aisle!).

Beware the taxis, however. Memorize the phone number to AAA Taxi. That company and one other mentioned in Lonely Planet are the ONLY ones you should step foot in!!

Wish I could be there too,
F

Hi,

I've helped with some of the decorations at Aloha-wave-just for fun.(Not the menu-scanning)
Anyway - I wish the music was more Hawaiian (not loud R and B). I told the owner he should advertise here and hope he does. His location however - is more for tourists or people who are not aficionados per se.

I have a chance to work with someone making a cozy little 35 meter place (no food) into whatever I want. I have a lot of decor and stuff from my private lounge-since dismantled. I'm thinking the 35,000+ expats who live here, up and coming Czechs (cocktail bars in general have taken off-now time for a niche- and if it can be done properly..), and of course people who make an online effort to seek these places.

The catch is- I don't think I will ever get paid -in anything other than drinks -but heck why not. I go to the office to get money. :)

So I know it is only day one for me- but just curious -is there anyone else international -currently close to Prague?

[ Edited by: PragueTiki 2006-02-11 11:03 ]

[ Edited by: PragueTiki 2006-02-11 12:07 ]

[ Edited by: PragueTiki 2006-02-11 12:08 ]

[ Edited by: PragueTiki 2006-03-04 06:48 ]

[ Edited by: PragueTiki 2006-04-10 11:39 ]

P

On 2005-08-03 13:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
I see one Tiki, one mask, one fishnet float and one surfborard in the typical Praguian catacombes.... funny.

Bigbrotiki, I agreee with you, what a joke...

Like I was saying...I agree, it looks like a great place...

Mission accomplished!

I still have a lot of work to do on the menu -the crowd is mostly still drinking our speciality 14 degree beer- but when I'm working or if I know you are coming I can always whip up something special. The final cocktail list should be ready in the next week or so.

Anyway out of admiration for Victor- owner of a great classy Restaurant downtown in Prague 1 and owner of the first Tiki-esque bar in Prague The Alohawave Lounge- I'll make my official announcement on a new thread.

We're off to prague for a college mate [and best man] of mines' 40th bday bash weekend. End of June.

I'll drag our crowd along and check out the scene.

PragueTiki, is This the 14-Degree beer?

Sorry for the late reply- helping at a bar in Prague makes you busy, busy, busy.

Basically the explanation about degrees is correct. Useful info for anyone travelling to Central/Eastern Europe

Actually we are currently using Starobrno brand-which is'nt the best name/have the best reputation- for people in Prague.

We'd like to sell more cocktails in the long run- but the Czech Rep. is such a beer country - it won't happen overnight.
Anyway- we are trying to promote the special sort of high-end (non-common) alternate brands they offer: Baron Trenck 14 degree. [A tiki bar has to be unique from other drinking pubs all along the street.]

The 14 degree beer is listed here:
http://www.starobrno.cz/produkty/index.py?kategorie=Speci%e1ly
6 percent alcohol.

It may ask for a year of birth -when accessing- 18 years or older

The Czech Rep. is the largest consumer of beer in the world!
PragueTiki, you should try and get in touch with the European importer of Hinano, the Tahitian Beer Brand. I don't think there are any others available.

Pages: 1 12 replies