Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Visiting Destin, FL area in September...need help snagging a palm!

Pages: 1 7 replies

T

I will be visiting the Destin, FL area the week of September 18th and I would love to find a very cheap or free palm(s) for carving.

Can anyone help me? or at least give me some ideas?

Take a chainsaw. Sabal Palms are indiginous and can be found everywhere. Pine trees are the majority of lumber up there. OR call a landscaping company and have them save you some.

B

Be careful with the chainsaw though. The Sabal palm or cabbage palm is the State Tree and thus is protected and Some counties do not allow removal without a permit. However there are Always palms being removed for building and landscaping purpouses. Aloha sters you right. Tree companies will usually Give them to you if you show up with a truck and a smile.

P

Pray for a hurricane.

(Just kidding! As a Floridan, I'm allowed make jokes like that! 21?!!!! You've got to be kidding!)

On 2005-08-03 09:20, Benzart wrote:
Tree companies will usually Give them to you if you show up with a truck and a smile.

12 packs of icy cold beer will go far this time of year and it's heat/humidity... Never hurts to have a $20 bill or 2, either. :)

Most landscaping companies wait til the dead stump has "died" a little before cutting it down- I assume for carving this is a good thing too, as the stump gets to dry out a little- making for less weight are possibly better drying? Less weight helps for sure...

AlohaStation: Chainsaws scare me too much, but thanks for the suggestion.

Benzart: Thanks, I'll call a few places in advance. Southern charm is my specialty, so I have no problem laying it on.

Philot: funny, but not funny, I have researched the hurrican predictions & it seems the rest of the season is focused on the Eastern part of the U.S. LOOK OUT Carolinas! Our vacation was ruined last year by Ivan.

CaptSkully: So true, I've bribed many friends with a six-pack to move some piece of heavy furniture.

Keeping my fingers crossed. THANKS!

F

The Drier the cheaper its is to ship...If you feel like a puzzle I can ship sawdust and pieces....Good luck and enjoy the visit to the Sunshine/Hurricane State.

Pray for a hurricane.

They just had 3 (Ivan, Cindy, Dennis). So there may be plenty of palm stumps around.

Pages: 1 7 replies