Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Seeking suggestions for Bamboo "Frames"...

Pages: 1 5 replies

N

Aloha.

I have two (for lack of a better description) Bamboo "Frames", about 18"x26" or thereabouts....they're Bamboo, or Rattan, about 1.5in dia. outer tubes, with a framework of smaller (maybe half in?) dia. tubes cris-crossing the inside (Like a grid). I hot-glued some Aloha Shirt type fabric to the back of them, but I want some sort of cool something-or-other to mount to the front, to make a sort of wall hanging kind of thing.

They have a cool history....they're the side pieces to a nightstand I bought from a liquidator in Orlando back in '89 or '90, from the Polynesian Resort. the Drawer portion has the room # written on it-they had all sorts of cool stuff (bedspreads, other furniture, framed art) when I bought it....however, I was dirt poor at the time and really couldn't afford anything.

anyway, I was thinking of maybe some cool Tiki Masks or something? I could probably post some pics, if that would help....whatever it is, I'd like to stay somewhat traditional, if I go with a mask....

Looking forward to your suggestions!

mahalo,

Scott

M

please post pictures

Hi Scott
I think masks are definately the 1st choice but....
You could maybe take an exotica or island music album cover or two and punch out holes at the corners and tie them to the framework with some cord so that they sort of float in the air in the middle of the framework. They don't have to be lined up straight either, you could lean them one way or the other, whatever looks good to you.
Or you could laminate tiki restauraunt or bar menus and do the same thing, although you might not want the sheen from the lamination.
Jim

N

Hey again. Sorry it took so long....

Here's the pic...please let me know what you think.

Scott

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 10, 2005 8:43 PM

I was thinking a large central mask, and some smaller items around it?

Rattan.

Pages: 1 5 replies