Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hanford & Humuhumu in Seattle! Aug 19 - 24 (exactly!)

Pages: 1 29 replies

H

Aloha my dear Seattle 'ohana!

Life's twists and turns are bringing me back to Seattle again, and this time I get to bring along my very favorite person. :)

Our Saturday (Aug 20) looks to be pretty busy between a friend's marriage celebration and Sweetpea's birthday bash, and somewhere in there we'll have to squeeze in some family time, but other than that we're pretty flexible. We're thinking of flying up Friday and coming back on Wednesday so we can visit Fu Kun Wu on Tuesday.

I know you guys have been getting together a lot lately, hopefully you won't be too burned out on get-togethers to meet up with us!

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-08-06 09:10 ]

E

Excellent! I can't guarantee my whereabouts this month due to crazy schedule, but keep us posted! :)

D

How wonderful!!

definitely count us IN for tuesday at Thaiku.

and we'd love to pour a Rongorongo Rickey for you at our house (we're available all day sunday , mon & tues evening)

counting the days!!

elicia

W

I might make the Sweetpea Birthday Bash if I'm allowed in. Last year (I think it was last year) I was disappointed by the volume of cash in her donation jar for a no kill animal shelter (Sweetpea's only gift request) so I grabbed the jar and worked down the entire crowd. I blame booze and a love of cats. And Miss 'Pea is so dog gone sweet. (I really don't know her that well, so it's easy to say. But everything written about her on the Tractor's boy's room wall is all nice. I can't say the same for someone named "Lydia the tattooed lady".)

Anyway, if I'm there I'll tip a cheap beer in your direction, or maybe I'll tip in your direction depending on how many cheap beers I've been tipping in my direction.

And if Miss 'Pea's got a jar put money in it yah cheap bastards.

I would love to attend any get-togethers when H3 (HumuHumu & Hanford) are in town.

Hey, anyone checked on the Luau recently?

Wow, what a coinkeydink, I happen to be in Seattle on 23-25.

Unfortunately for TCers, but maybe not too unfortunate, on 8/23 I am most likely going to be hosting a listening party for Boozoo Bajou's new CD for most of the evening, instead of my usual DJ night. Knowing that a Tiki gang may gather, I may switch over to my usually scheduled program by 10 PM. Boozoo Bajou is sort of a down tempo-ish electronica duo from Germany who I adore, and have been waiting for a new CD from for 4 years. When I heard they had something new coming out, I contacted the label, and some sort of a listening party is now in the works. I haven't heard their new one yet, but their first record is quite mellow and ambient for the most part, so most likely the new one will be similar, and will provide an appropriate soundtrack for those who would come out to Fu Kun Wu that night. Here's a link to Boozoo Bajou's website plus a link to a nice interview with a few cuts from the new record in case anyone is interested:

http://www.boozoobajou.com/

Boozoo Bajou interviewed recently on LA's KCRW

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka 2005-08-05 21:07 ]

D

its ok if we crash that party?

Please oh please come on down. I doubt that many people will show up for it. How many people have heard of Boozoo Bajou? Not too many. I just wanted to do this cuz I love them and the owner of the bar kindly gives me the freedom to do what I want to do so long as drinks are flowing.

Believe it or not, I've heard of Boozoo Bajou. I hear their remixes on KCRW, a NPR station in LA.

...oh wait, you just mentioned that they play them on KCRW.

D

we love the food there..

and your advice on music has been spot on (cept we thought Girl Trouble, was gonna be a girl band..)

and you found out that Luau has reopened.. thats something else to put on the Humuhumu/Hanford "to do list"

On 2005-08-05 22:23, dogbytes wrote:
we love the food there..

What kind of food do they have there? I'm actually visiting my cousin in Vancouver, and we're actually doing a road trip to Seattle. He's driving, so I need to sell this to him. hehe

D

thai

Here's a couple of reviews with food descriptions

Look Humu, I Iearned how to do hyperlinks!

H

Ok, we've pinned down our flight schedule, we come in midday on Friday the 19th and leave midday on Wednesday the 24th.

What a fantastic coincidence, paranoid123! It would be great if you could join us.

We're totally up for Rongorongo Rickeys, Luau, and Boozoo Bajou. I'm working on getting plans in place with my family & with my friend Monica, once I've got that figured out I'll know where the holes in our schedule are. I'll keep you posted!

PP

Dang! You're going to arrive a week too late for Monkey Skull's Voodoo Lounge Party. Oh well, I guess we have to take what we can get. Oh, and don't get your heart set on Luau; I think it's still closed up after the change in management (back to its original owners, if I'm not mistaken).

[ Edited by: poi polloi 2005-08-06 17:04 ]

S

Wheeeeee, Humu and Hanford!!!
YAY!!!
Can't wait to see you.
Everyone is invited to the Tractor on Sat Aug 20
also. Big ol Rockabilly shindig.
Woofmut may have talked me into taking donations
again this year. We'll see.
Hope to see y'all there!
I think Mig might even be coming up!
YAY!
Here's a link to the party flyer...
http://www.sweetpearockabilly.com
PEa

ends up I'll be at benihana for dinner on Tuesday
night, but I'll try to hit ThaiKu afterwards.
Can't wait to see Humu and Hanford, and I hope
some of you other tiki folk make it out to the
Tractor saturday.
wheeeeee
pea

Alright -- H & I are headin' out right now -- hope we'll get to see some of you tomorrow, or Tuesday (and I think there may be something percolating for Sunday?) -- at any rate, see you soon!

D

YAY... and i'd love to host a happy hour or dinner here on Monday, if you're available! (unless I am the sunday thing.. we really haven't coordinated with one another!)

call, write, send carrier pigeons.. but get a hold of us!

elicia

Since Humuhumu and Hanford will be in town, I think it would be fun to organise a bit of home bar crawling on Sunday. The Shrunken Head Lounge (my home bar) is open and available for inclusion in such a function, should it happen, or if you wish to simply congregate here at some point.

Cheers.

-DJ Terence Gunn.

H

Thanks so much for your kind offers of your home bar visits, but this is a pretty jam-packed visit for me -- even my Dad, who I haven't seen in 2 years, isn't going to get to see me until Monday night! The "Sunday percolation" was/is something Selector Lopaka & puamana and I had been thinking about doing at their Backyard Bali Hai. Life threw me a couple of major curveballs last night, and I'm thinking now that I might need to do something with just a few close friends that night. I really wish I had time to see everyone's cool places!

D

i understand.. Family First (or is that Safety First, i forget) ~ our house is always open to you and Hanford ~ you have our number if time becomes available to pop in!

elicia & Todd

H

Had a great time last night at Sweetpea's bash -- great to see the SeaTikis, Monkeyskull, and of course darlin' 'Pea! Woofmutt, we heard you were there, too, but we walked around looking for you twice and never did spot you, which was a bummer. We also had time to pop into Leilani Lanes, which is much cooler and tikier than my memory had led me to believe.

Looking forward to seeing folks on Tuesday!

D

we'll see you good folks at Thaiku on tuesday ~ we'll be there around 7 ... mmmm good food, good music, good friends ~ who could ask for more?

W

If the Tuesday night plans at Fu Kun Wu change I wanna know before noonesque on Tuesday. Please.

No really, PLEASE, damn it.

D

we're going, no matter what ~ as i have conveniently not prepared anything for dinner tomorrow night! bad wife!

Me and the Mrs will be there with tales from last weekends
Tiki Fest in Long Beach. Did anyone tell Woofmutt that
tonight is cancelled? Woofmutt, you can catch a ride home
with us if you want, but if the Mrs is driving.

S

okay, we on tonight, or no...
do I leave my friends bday dinner early and head
to Ballard?
Lemme know!
PEa

P

Yep, everything is definitely still on for tonight, we'll be there about 7pm.
See everyone there !

Pages: 1 29 replies