Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Virginia Beach - new tiki room!

Pages: 1 21 replies

Well I have been lurking around this place for long time and I thought I wopuld finally contribute to the fun. I have been building my new bar setup and thought I would share some of the pix with you all. I hope you enjoy them.

It’s named the 219 Tiki room. We started having people over for cocktails a while back (when it’s our turn to host the poker nights) and the place has been a hit! We have been missing our old bar, the 908 Tiki since it had to be left behind with our old house. We were sad for a while, but now the drinks are flowing again. So far the house favorite has been the “nut Monkey”.

The bar area was built in the room over the garage. The previous owner actually ran a hair salon out of the space. It has a built in sink and bathroom.

I used thatch and rough hewn wood on the walls for that true island hut feel. Total cost was next to nothing, as the thatch is just 50 cent beach mats stapled to the walls, the staples are covered by the wood strips.

What’s that? What does the flippin’ place look like…well ok…here are some pix.

First, some logos from the old 908 TIKI, I still need to draw up new ones for the new 219 TIKI room.

The bar has a fridge and lots of shelves for shot glasses etc…. It’s made of pine and maple veneer ply wood, with the same wood strips as walls to cover the joints. There’s bar top on the serving areas for water proofing. The thatched top area holds the booze and has halogen lights to light up the bar.

The rest of the room is set up for hanging out and has room for the poker table and etc… I use the big table for stain glass art projects and other stuff, Trying to replace it with a real vintage bamboo living room set from my in-laws den, anyone know some good drink recipes that include arsenic? Yuk Yuk.

Ooh and here is the current 219 TIKI room menu, with the recipe for the nut monkey! If you can read that small.

That’s it thanks for putting up with me! See ya!

[ Edited by: 908tiki 2005-08-05 13:39 ]

F

SWEEEEEEET great job... the lurking must of paid off.

J

That looks awesome, where are in Va beach? I live in the area. Also do you have some more pics of the bar? The place looks fabulous. How did you do the top of the bar?

T

Man that place is swinging... YEAH

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Aug 5, 2005 7:18 PM

Nice idea with the mats on the wall. Sounds like something I would do and probably would have to, from lack of materials. Looks like you bought the place out. Nice menu, I see that you have a Sam's Shrunken head drink.

ST

Along with Jamie I would also like to know your wearabouts. Jamie and I are working on building very similar surf-themed tiki bars. He can over the other day to liberate some bamboo from my backyard.

I am guessing that the 219 is your address. Given the previous name of your bar it sounds like you might be an oceanfront dweller, which would put you in my neighborhood.

Wish I had some inside space to tikify but as it is it looks like I will have to concentrate on my deck. (thats DECK).

Thank guys, for the nice comments, I will post more pix soon. I am doing the bathroom in a lava / volcano theme and will post shots of that ASAP.

Jamie and surf tiki, I am VB local since birth and may even know you guys. I went to ODU and to PA high. My name (908TIKI) comes from address on Old VB blvd. I used to live in a town house behind the arts center, basically 24th street. The old 908Tiki was outside...and was totally kick ass! Man I miss that bar, I miss being able to ride my bike to Phils or to the bars...22nd street dollar drink night....ooohh the pain!

We had a 1000 sf place with a 300 sf deck and we used to have an annual tikifest...last time we had about 75 people crammed into that little place. So I know your space dilemma well. but hey....I saw a cool closet bar on this forum, maybe you could do that?

Where are you guys in the area? and when is you next Tiki party?

oooh yeah the bar top...that is made from plain old maple veneer plywood from Home Depot, with a little bartop on it. Is used pine to frame it up and then routed the pine border to round the edges. I have no skills with tools, I'm an office boy with hands like a babies ass...so If I can do it....

Surf....Bamboo in yard? Do you live down by like 9th street?...maybe Sawgrass condos?

[ Edited by: 908tiki 2005-08-08 12:07 ]

J

Hey 908tiki, I went to PA high also, what year did you graduate? Yeah, right now I am waiting on my Lauhala matting that I ordered online then I can almost finished with the bar, yippee. I have my bar on the patio right now, now room inside either just like Surftiki. But I do have a decent sized backyard for a tiki party. I am also going to get a firepit in the backyard. We need to get together and find more local tikis in Hampton Roads area guys. Later.

J

Oh yeah, I live in Ocean view area by Tidewater drive, it is a nice neighborhood, really it is. But I was raised in Vb my whole life, I surf when I get a chance(or when there are waves). So I know quite a few people in Vb. Talk to you guys later. As soon as I finish my bar and get the backyard looking tiki I will have a party guys, ok. Later

FA

AWESOME! You guys did a great job, be proud. I hope the people that come over really are able to appreciate what you have put together.

Jamie…Ocean view is getting better that’s for sure…hold on to that house…it will only get more pricey in OV. Another PA grad?…nice. I was paroled, I mean graduated back in 1987. Jesus…writing it down like this makes me feel really old. I will laugh my flippin ass off if you and I actually know each other!

Either way, I totally agree that we need to try and form some sort of VB Tiki party circuit. Next time I have a tikifest…(hopefully this fall)…I will make sure to post a notice on this site way in advance and let you all know about it! Maybe the VB tikis can exchange emails or something.

Surfing…I never got into it for that very reason…no waves ever…unless it’s freezing cold. So I got into skating…back in the 80s VB was a real hot bed for ramp riding. Problem with skating now?…us old timers have brittle bones!

J

Hey 908tiki, I would not doubt it if we do know each other. I graduated in 89, my sister graduated in 87. What neighborhood did you grow up in? Yes we do need to get a Vb tikis going, that would be awesome. I am glad I have found some tiki friends near by in the same area. Oh, don't worry, me and my wife are going to keep this house for awhile. Talk to you later.

Nice Tiki pad. I went to ODU in the eighties, busted my ass at the Mt. Trashmore skate park and hung out down on 86th St. in VB instead of going to classes. I live in Charlottesville and I'll zoom down to a tiki party at the beach if you put one together. By chance you guys know Dave Shockley?

J

polynesian posh boy, how are you? Name sounds familiar. You bet we would let you know when a tiki party takes place. Yeah I used to skate also, i had a ramp at my house also.

That's a really nice tiki room. My parents have a place in VB, and I'm due for a visit. Don't be surprised if I knock on your door.

ST

I live on 23rd St. Didn't grow up here but married into being a local, plus I've been around long enough to know lots of people. I am pretty much just starting out down the tiki road but would love get in on a tiki party some time.

PS - I still get to ride my bike out to the bars. There are now two tiki-themed bars on at the beach. Mai Bar on 23rd and Bambooze on like 8th street. There is also the Tiki Bar (real original name) on your way out to Sandbridge.

Your logo work is WONDERFUL! Incredibly professional and the menu? Wow! Inspires me to do more.

TikiTikiBoom…thanks! The one with the skates is all original, but the other one…I copped it from a web site and just put my bar name in it. The menu is just a Powerpoint slide. If you like, I can send it to you and you can customize it for your own bar! That would save a ton of time! Let me know!

Surf…yep the beach has gotten very tiki-fied lately. At first it pissed me off…you know, I have always liked the tiki scene to be… kind of underground. I hate it when my obscure interests suddenly become main stream. My only solace….is that, just like SKA music and all the other stuff I have always liked,…they tend get popular then they fade away again…Soon the Tiki bars in VB will be replaced with the next fad (probably Harley style biker bars, thanks to American chopper)…and we will still be enjoying the Polynesian style.

Jamie and Posh boy…Ok…Some personal info….I don’t know if it is allowed or recommended to do this on the forum…but what the hell.

My Name is Alan Edwards. I grew up in Birchwood gardens, near Thalia just East of the Pembroke area and if you had a ramp in your yard in the eighties or early nineties… I was probably there at least once. I was (and still am) a big galoot with glasses….maybe that will jog your memory…or perhaps it brings back tragic memories of a 6’3” 230 lbs lummox falling down and breaking your ramp.

I was a “founding member” (sounds official hunh?) of the Cutlery Crew (CC)…we were the antithesis of the Windsor Woods fork boys (member them?). We skated with the WW boys at Thrashmore and Bayville etc…, but we sucked compared to them….some of those agile little bastards actually turned pro and got their own models with Sims etc…

Aah the memories…See ya’ll!

J

Hey 908tiki, yeah your name sounds familiar. I remember the WW boys, I grew up with alot them and hung out with them. I still see some of them at the bars or the beach. Those were the good ole days, lol. Got my Lauhala matting in the other day and now ready to put it on my bar along with some pics. Yeah. Let me know if you have a bar or building one and can get some ideas from you guys. ok,thanks.

D

Looks super!The menu really puts it over the top.

I just wanted to let you guys know I just started a margarita machine and tiki bar rental company right here in Virginia Beach. Its called Tiki-ritas. We do all of the work so that you can sit back and enjoy your event. You tell us when and where—we will deliver, setup, and pick up the margarita machine or tiki bar.

The Tiki-ritas frozen margarita machines are excellent for anyone planning an event. Choose from ten tropical fruit flavors made with real fruit purees. We provide you with the mix, you provide the alcohol if desired. We include the machine, first batch setup, decorative cart for machine, cups, straws, and an extension cord.

The Tiki-ritas tiki bar is guaranteed to generate a buzz at any event. The portable tiki bar can be customized to fit any party theme, from a Jimmy Buffet experience to a Beach Boys bash. Permanent tiki bars can also be built at your location. We also can do permanent margarita machines for your tiki paradise.

Pages: 1 21 replies