Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Cap't Skullys Visit to Benzart

Pages: 1 20 replies

B

Cap't Skully came up yesterday for a carving session and brought a tiki ha has been hiding from us. I will post pic's of it in a minute. We had a great time and he was able to put up with me for 3 or 4 hours and fortunately it was an Overcast cool(83 deg) day and we didn't burn up. Skully is a very precise carver, much like Aarons Aku and has a great eye for detail. look for excellent pieces from him in the future.
Here are a couple shots of his tiki

Enjoy, Sorry eric...I had to do it.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-08-06 08:15 ]

T

I would have gave up three to four hours to watch the magic. Nice start on the log.

T

hell... ill be there tommorow.. can i sleep in the saw dust??
LOL

A

Nice start! And it does look precise and clean. I just wack away at it but it looks like you put a lot of forethought into it. Thats Great "Measure twice, cut once"

I like the fiberous palm bark on the bottom. can't wait to see the finished work.

Nice job cap'n

Aloha
E

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2005-08-06 16:29 ]

I will post my pics ASAP- It was a great time and I thank you again Ben. My tiki's belly thanks you too- the belly button came out great!

I also got to see Ben's portfolio while I was there, and some of his jewelry/figurine works in pewter and silver.

My arsenal of a whole 4 chisels and a rubber mallot is a rusty joke to Ben's workspace- The reciprocating chisel is amazing to work with- All I can relate it to is using clippers to cut hair... It's almost that easy in terms of control (at least with Palm wood).

And I have something else to share that many of you have been dieing to see-
A few minutes of Benzart in action carving, up close and personal taken with the movie capabilities of my camera- It's about 40mb so I just need to compress it first..

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 7, 2005 7:01 AM

Cool. Jealous as hell :). Carving and hangin with the master.

Benz - the force is strong with this one

That's looking great, Skully! I know it will be a super tiki when you're done. I too am a bit jealous. Some day when Nina & I make the obligatory parental pilgramage to Disney World, we'll look you up Ben. Hell, I'd love to hook up with all of you talented Florida carvers someday (Palama, Skully, G, Flacookz - who else did I miss?). There's a lot of TC carvers in FLA, aren't there?

Now, we're all waiting for that video footage, Skully!

Aaron

T

well i am a fl carver.. just not as talanted as the rest...LOL

B

Well Y'all c'mon down. Pile'em up and stack'em high. We can sweep a Lot of chips out the door. Theres plenty of carving space on the floor.
We really need to plan a Big get together.

Yeah, you too Thanatos... & McTiki too! :) Someday we'll all meet up at the Mai Kai. In the mean time, you all get together with Ben and take lots of pictures for the rest of us. Sounds like a blast!

here are my pics:
http://www.redcorecreative.com/tiki/CS_Lost_Resort/images.html

will post video clip ASAP.

Capt'n Skully-
Where would I get a Reciprocating Chisel? It looks like a great tool. I've googled it and haven't found much. Thanks You
Wesley

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-08-08 06:18 ]

8T

Hey Skully thanks for the photos you added. It was great to see more shots of inside the Benzartorium. I know you reveled in the moment as you got to see the master at work in his studio. Something I can assure you we would all love to do. Please try to keep inspiring each other with frequent get togethers and add whomever you can so that we who can't make it there in person can still enjoy the creative gatherings!

Nice carving and great photos, Scully! I am definitely up for a FL carving session... A-A, when you come to FL, i've got some AAC for you!

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2005 8:22 AM

http://www.redcorecreative.com/tiki/CS_Lost_Resort/images-Pages/Image12.html

the knot near the eyes, looks like an eye, and makes the carving funny. :)

On 2005-08-07 22:18, Moondance wrote:
Capt'n Skully-
Where would I get a Reciprocating Chisel? It looks like a great tool. I've googled it and haven't found much. Thanks You
Wesley

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-08-08 06:18 ]

You know, that's the name I dubbed it really quick... It may have a name that has slipped my mind. Ben can answer this though- He was thinking or has seen an attachment that could use a Dremel as a motor, too.

B

Here is info about the Recriprocating carver. It is one of several available and the least expensive.
http://www.treelineusa.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=wecheer-recip-carver
You notice one is for the Dremel(happyhappyhappy for you dremel owners)
http://www.treelineusa.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=125-5200
look up the others here too This next one I have not used but it looks to have WAY MORE Power than the flexshaft models for thet heavy work. I would like one of these.
http://www.treelineusa.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=103-3000
If you have LOTS of DOLLARS and want the best one try this one:
http://www.flexcut.com/shop/customer/infopages.php?choice=skx100_rpc
However I think the Arbortech power chisel will be the Most powerful, while the Wecheer will be the best for the money.

I got this first one that Ben posted, the Wecheer Recip Handpiece, which is not a bad price, considering you had to have already bought the Foredom Flex Shaft kit to use it. It's pretty hefty & solid, so I would assume the other model that works with the Dremel is solid as well. Your best bet is to call Treeline & talk to PJ or Brian (800 number at the website). They will give you an honest answer either way. The chisels that come with the handpiece ae crap, so you might want to get the flexshaft recip chisels which are compatible with the handpiece. I bought this set that Ben also posted above. It's a good deal, but there are some larger Flexcuts that fit the recip handpiece that I wish I had gotten instead. They are roughly $12 each.

I just bought mine recently, and have tried it out some. It feels more like a detailing tool than rough out, at least for the harder woods (maybe better for roughing with the large chisels?). I'm mostly using mallet and large chisels on my current piece. It probably makes quick work of palm, though, and I can't wait to try that. Burrs are no good for palm (bind up immediately) and I really got the Foredom for the burrs. The recip handpiece was just a nice afterthought.

Are you going to get one of these, Skully?

Aloha Ben!!!!!
I cant remember but what is the new bada.sssss recpricating carver that is out there. sorry I couldnt remember maybe you could shed some light,Aloha and Much Mahalo,,,,,, mooney

B

Hey Mooney, Foredom NOW makes a Recip carver for the flexshaft. and it is only 48$ and SHOULD be better quality then the Wecheer. Use the Wecheer for detailing as Heavy use will break it inside. I have blasted 2 already, which Treeline replaced. I would hope the foredom will be stronger AND it will have replacement parts available for the carver as it does for ALL its other hand pieces.
The Weecheer still removes a lot of wood.

That's a great piece, clean technique as Ben said...How are you making your guide cuts?

Pages: 1 20 replies