Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

...the horror... ...the horror...

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

On 2005-08-07 21:43, I dream of tiki wrote:
Looks like the scenery for a bad musical.

Tiki
The 80's retrospective

Starring George Michael, Boy George, and (most of) Bananarama
Special Appearances by Iggy Pop, Mo Roca, and Emo Phillips
Costumes by Shag, Set Design by David Landry

(Yes I am going to burn in hell, but sometimes you just gotta')

H

I think Nina is right! In other words, people should never express an opinion... Uh oh, I guess I just expressed one. Don't step in it.

The boy has a point!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-09-11 21:56 ]

P

Regardless of your feelings for the artist or his legacy of kindness, if someone doesn't like his work, no amount of cajoling or guilt can make them change their perspective.

I throw my stuff out there as a uke player/song writer - some love it - some hate it.
If I get someone telling me how much they can't stand the tambre of my voice and that my uke playing is childlike and my Hawai'ian sounds like someone choking on a fish bone, I just keep right on moving.

Some people don't like Coombs' tikis. He keeps on carving.

Some don't like Bosko's tikis. He keeps on carving.

I'm certain Mr. Landry was this kind of a guy. I read about him on occasion and read about the one tiki bar down there in Nokomis that I believe he worked on extensively. He was a part of a pretty cool scene and had some good work in certain places. I heard about him also from Chainsaw Charlie who has a lot of REALLY rough, choppy looking tikis. Whatever works for him.

Yes, I hated the photos of that Michigan tiki joint - I don't care who carved them.
I can hate the neon-tikis without disparaging the man.

I must say Vern, that you are one graceful fellow.

I also must say that Bamboo Ben likes everything because his brain has been addled with all of the chemical agents in Budweiser. Black Flag notwithstanding. ARRRR.

I feel as if there is no way to make ammends on this topic. Pardon the off topic comment, it feels like a back lash like in the un tiki thread. Guess it doesn't matter now that the offended party won't ever be reading this.

On this particular subject, I personally am okay to agree to disagree. I thought I was being respectful when I said its not my bag but appreciated the artist. It stinks that online notes lack the inflection that is so badly needed to get one's point across. :(

Added to my postafter reading Tiki Ted's comments further down:
Great criticism without consideration comes with responsibility. Perhaps it was karma to have what's been flung around to have it come back with such anger.

Nina was not wrong to be incredibly upset. I would have done the same if it were my friend being ripped. Maybe more of us will consider that before harshess comes forth in the name of an idea shared only by this TC community.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-09-13 16:37 ]

G

I too thought Vern's post was very respectful of the late artist and of Nina's feelings. Totally didn't deserve the trashing Nina gave it. It saddens me to see new people come here, get offended about something and immediately start throwing stones without ever taking the time to read through the old posts and the "purpose statement" of the site to first get an understanding of what this site is about and gain an appreciation for the knowledgable, colorful (and yes, often opinionated) people that make up our group.

Too bad she left so soon and slammed the door on her way out. Her descriptions of her home and collections left me wanting to see pictures of it.

TT

I was hoping people would take into consideration that Nina runs accross this thread and reads post after post ripping on one of her best friends life work. Add to the fact that he just passed away recently. How would most of us react to that? Would we let it slide, would we politely respond, or would we freak out. I don't know what category Nina's response would fit into, but I do know that I give her a free pass on this. I know no one had intentions of ripping on a dead man, but understand that most, if not all, of us would have been pissed off in the same situation. Give her a break and leave it alone.

T

R.I.P. to a tiki lover and to anymore negative vibes presented here.

I just hope she was able to get her Ohana Hut

R

On 2005-08-07 19:25, Benzart wrote:
I just can't believe that this type of decoration is allowed out of Key West.

Firstly: There are no negative vibes in a us dis-ing or disagreeing amongst us -mostly friends- here about certain things and styles that we do or don't like. Nina I doubt when this thread was originally started and mostly written (over a year ago) anyone knew of your dear departed David's illness. I would like to think that someone as obviously dynamic, talented and outgoing as he seemed to be, would at the very least, have just brushed off our razzing of what (most of) us consider a faux pax in the creating of the art form we know and love. At the very best he could have mixed it up with us and maybe shed some light as to why he obviously disagreed with our view of what Tikis shouldn't look like. Considering that, I immediately found his other work appealing, the fish, birds and especially the exotic animals we would have ALL (including him) benefited from that debate that sadly will never occur. Art is subjective and humans are tribal, but generally we are a good and giving tribe here, though certainly not perfect, and nor should anyone expect us to be! :wink:

THESE ZEBRA, GIRAFFE AND TIGERS ROCK!

Now to YOU Mr Benzart! We may paint cars, metal and wooden fish, lizard and bird sculptures, mailboxes, houses and telephone poles in the brightly and mixed pastel colors of the Caribbean that WE (not you FLA mainlanders :P) are bellied up to (and hence WE have the right to, and an obligation to use these color schemes to stun and bedazzle the already rum buzzed tourists so we might be able to lighten their pockets even more :lol: )......but Tikis (or other deities)? NOT! :P :lol: :evil: :lol:

[ Edited by: rattiki 2006-09-15 16:24 ]

own a piece of the neon dream!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/art/1295868399.html

*Authentic Hand Carved and Hand Painted Tiki Poles from genuine Royal Palm Trees.
$250.00 each ... Have 9 Total ...You can see these at Ernie's in Clinton Township.
Hurry ... These rare poles will sell fast ! *

and what a bargain too!

On 2006-09-11 15:33, Nina Coquina wrote:
One more parting remark, if you bought any of his carvings, take care of them because they're now worth a lot of money. Thousands apiece. One of his carved cats recently sold for close to $3,000.

Maybe a child bought it with his allowance.

P

If the true nature of art is to evoke an emotional response, then I have to believe that David is looking down from whatever paradise he now inhabits,(rum soaked,sunglasses reqired, or not)and giving us a thumbs up,(or middle finger) salute and having a good laugh..Mahola Jebus for ALL artists and their bravery to continue creating!

HJ

It's kinda psychedelic-Tiki.

Better colourful-non-traditional Tiki than no Tiki at all.

Mellow out, have an umbrella drink.

H

I sympathize with Ray Milland in "The Man With The X-Ray Eyes"."If thine eyes offend thee, pluck them out!"
But wait! He could see through women's clothing, so it couldn't have been THAT bad.
I'm colorblind anyways, so fuggedaboudit.

OH GOD! OH GOD!

I'm shutting my computer off right now and pretending none of this happened.

Pages: 1 2 63 replies