Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

LuxuriaMusic.com is back!

Pages: 1 3 replies

Just saw this on the ModCom.org messageboard:

For those who miss it and those who don't know about LuxuriaMusic, it's back on the air!

As a pioneer in internet based radio, Luxuria blasted the best 60's soundtracks, Go-Go, Weird, Bollywood, Lounge, Exotica and Psychedelia for a year with live DJs, cool oldie commercials, studio camera and web chatroom. But as other dot-coms bit the dust, down went Luxuria.

Recently, Chuck Kelly (a Beach Boys expert) launched a new site at
http://www.luxuriamusic.com

Streaming MP3 music just started flowing after a year of silence at
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/play.pls?stationid=297315&session=chukelley%3A0&pid=&filename.pls

Check'em out.

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2002-11-05 23:41 ]

Great news!
That was an excellent site, and it was a real surprise when it suddenly went down the tubes (particularly as my website was based there!)

They did a lot to promote 'The Book of Tiki' at the time it was first published, too.
They are on our side!

Trader Woody

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Nov 6, 2002 5:59 AM

This report is only partially correct.

Luxuriamusic.com is back and Chuck does have a broadcast on Live365, but...

Luxuria started a web community. When it ended, the people met up on a yahoo group, and continued their conversations.

Several of those people decided to make Luxuria happen again. It is slow and rough going. It is planned as a cooperative. A $6 membership fee keeps the venture afloat for various DJs. Each DJ will broadcast from their home.

Kiliki and I have signed up to broadcast a lounge show and a rockabilly/country show weekly. More and more people, all over the planet are signing up. During off hours, rebroadcasts will play.

The site and all the music is a work of love. What little money comes in is being used to cover the bandwidth costs of streaming.

If you are interested, go to groups.yahoo.com and search for luxuriamusic and join, or drop by alternative.nu on Friday's from 9PM EST and get in the chat room then type /join #luxchat

It's a grassroots venture, and all interested parties are urged to participate.

Hi -

That report is only partially correct.

To clarify, there are two things going on -

1. LuxuriaMusic.com might come back sometime in the near future...maybe. Bringing back Lux the way it was (with 24 hours live streaming, a chat room, message boards, etc) would require time and money that no one seems to have at the moment. In the meantime, I've started a Live 365 station where I play my own mixes, old lux airchecks and possibly some new mixes by some of the old lux DJ's. I decided to start the live 365 station just for the fun of it. Its alot more fun playing this music for an audience on the internet that likes it, as opposed to a club full of people that just want to hear friggin "house" music. Blech!!

2. Some of the old lux chatters have started up a subscription file sharing club called Spectralux. I have nothing to do with it but I support whatever they want to do...as long as they dont misrepresent themselves as being LuxuriaMusic.

Here's the url for the Lux Live 365 station.
http://www.live365.com/stations/297315

Thanks.

Chuck

Pages: 1 3 replies