Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tonga room in SF Fairmont 8.25/26 - question

Pages: 1 10 replies

I MIGHT be in the Fairmont Hotel for an. I am wondering whats up with the Tonga room. I think it was renovated recently along with the hotel. If I go anyone want to meet up? Plans are tentative for Thursday Aug 25th late eve. Like 10pm.
I will post more when things are confirmed but I am wondering about buying mugs there? Is it possible? as well what drinks are decent - I'm a fan of Mai Tais. I also know the happy hour is good and cheaper but not sure if I'll be there in time for Happy hour Thursday.
If Trip is confirmed I would be there for Friday too - so a meeting could occur then for a true happy hour!
post or PM me if you want to meet up.
thanks sneakyjack
PS I have been there about 8 years ago!!!

M

Tonga Room has NOT been renovated (other than re-arranging and removing some of the old mugs "hidden" on the back of the bar).
That Thursday night is "Last Thursday" at the Emeryville Trader Vics (a short drive from SF). This event starts at 7pm and then moves to Oakland's Conga Lounge above Pizza Rustica on College Ave around 9:30 pm.
Drinks at the Tonga Room are hit and miss--the food entrees are mostly a "miss". If you go there with someone, do my tiki bar rule which is "NEVER order a pair of the same drinks for you and your wife/friend/date" that way if you both order a "Sidewinder" and the "sidewinder" sucks, you both aren't stuck with dealing with TWO crappy drinks. Plus variety is nice.
Also in San Francisco is the new Trader Vics which has a happy hour twice daily M-F from 4-6pm and 10pm-12:30am. If you can only do one SF bar, make it the Tonga. If you have wheels check out Trader Vics in Emeryville (they are also open for lunch 6 ? days a week). The SF Trader Vics and the Conga Lounge are both icing on the cake. Trader Sam out on Geary in SF is an OLD tiki bar that is well worn and sometimes filled with annoying frat boys late at night--it is a great place to check out if you hacve the time. They open noon-ish. Good luck-happy roaming, I hope to bump into you.

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: MRSMILEY 2005-08-09 10:14 ]

DZ

I was just there for the first time on Friday and I must say, it looked fantastic! I don't know what it looked like "pre-renovation", but I was impressed & took plenty of pix. The drinks were so-so but OK for the price (and they definitely had booze in them!) I'd be leery of shelling out full price for them, so don't really get your hopes up too high. All the prices are now higher than the ones quoted in TRT, but they are still cheaper if you get there before 7. Skipped the $7.00 'buffet' but really got a kick out of the cheesy thunderstorm - much more fun than I'd expected! Even better was the service - our waitress was right there anytime we needed anything and wasn't surly or grouchy or smelly or whatever - she even let me take a color menu home, putting it in a take-out bag so other customers wouldn't notice... BTW - the Happy Hour drink menu is different from the 'regular' drink menu, but you can order from both at the Happy Hour prices. While the menu shows drinks served in a variety of mugs, bowls & glasses, with the exception of the Lava Bowl (that was served in a cheap, 'Dynasty-style' bowl) all the drinks were served in the same nondescript fog-cutter style glass. If you order the 'Hurricane', however, you can keep the "Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar" hurricane glass. Hope that helps!

Howdy sneakyjack! Welcome to the left coast!

I was just at the Tonga room on Saturday night, and the room is back in order and looks great! It has been a long time since I have had drinks or eaten there, so here are my observations about the restaurant and bar.

1. 99% of the tropical drinks (mai tais, scorpions, etc) have pineapple juice in them. We asked the waiter if any were NOT made with pineapple juice, and he laughed and told us that we would have to get a margarita or non-tropical drink if we didn't like pineapple. If you are a fan of Trader Vic's mai tai's, don't expect the same in the Tonga Room.
  2. It was great fun to have a band play on the boat / barge in the middle of the pool. My two comments here - don't expect to carry on a conversation if you are sitting near the pool, and don't expect Hawaiian music from the band. They were very good at their craft, but for the environment, I wasn't expecting to hear the same old lounge tunes from the 70's and 80's that I heard years ago.
  3. The menu has a wonderful assortment of puupuus and entrees to select from. Remember.. you are in a hotel restaurant.. the atmosphere is what sells the place, not the superb food. We enjoyed all of our selections, but I would not return just for the food. SF is know for its culinary delights, and the Tonga food was a bit above the good grade, but not excellent.
  4. I remember many more tiki displays around the room from years past. This trip, we saw 3 full sized tikis, and many masks on the wall. The thatched umbrellas with the lite glass floats were wonderful and gave it much of its charm. The rain storms with thunder and lightening was as fun as ever. All the wood seems to be polished and glowing and looks in great shape.
  5. The staff and management (Steve) were always there to serve your needs, and were great. Very positive and warm.

My next visit to the Tonga room, I might give specific directions in making my drinks, and will stay for Happy hour, but not necessarily for dinner. We left the Tonga Room and took a cab to the new Trader Vic's ($6.00 ride) and had a couple of real mai tai's.

Have a great trip!

On 2005-08-08 17:02, mrsmiley wrote:
Also in San Francisco is the new Trader Vics which has a happy hour twice daily M-F from 4-6pm and 10pm-12:30pm.

What's up with the Beverly Hills Trader Vics with no happy hours - whereas SF has not one, but two happy hours daily?

DZ

Also in San Francisco is the new Trader Vics which has a happy hour twice daily M-F from 4-6pm and 10pm-12:30pm.

10pm to 12:30pm: 14 1/2 hours? Now THAT'S my kinda Happy Hour!!

:) :drink: :) :drink: :) :drink: :)

True enough, Dr. Z, and way to keep the Birthday celebration flowing, going, etc.

I was kind of hoping there would be outrigger canoe possibilities in the restoration.

On 2005-08-08 18:32, Doctor Z wrote:

10pm to 12:30pm: 14 1/2 hours? Now THAT'S my kinda Happy Hour!!

:) :drink: :) :drink: :) :drink: :)

That is why I'm hoping Trader Vic's hurries up and opens in Vegas!

M

On 2005-08-08 18:27, christiki295 wrote:

What's up with the Beverly Hills Trader Vics with no happy hours - whereas SF has not one, but two happy hours daily?

Thats because Northern Cal RULES!!!!! tee hee! But you guys have more beaches.

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-08-09 10:17 ]

UB

I wish they would fix the waterfall.

M

On 2005-08-09 13:24, Unga Bunga wrote:
I wish they would fix the waterfall.

This is the only change I noticed after they re-opened from the strike. They removed most of the older mugs from the back of the bar and cleaned up the waterfall. I asked an employee why and she said they were going to make it work again. I hope they haven't given up!!
I wouldn't say that they fixed up/restored/remodelled the place other than that minor change.

Pages: 1 10 replies