Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Art 2 @ the Shooting Gallery in San Fran 9/16

Pages: 1 27 replies

Didnt see any posts on this so I thought I would chime in on it.
There is alot of amazing work in this show. I saw the book preview awhile back and was blown away by alot of the art.
Some of the artists have totally out done themselves.
September 16th is the opening.

-stuckie

[ Edited by: stuckieshaft 2005-08-09 12:41 ]

Stuckie Dude!
How's It?

The Shooting Gallery

M

IF (a big if) Hooptylau "9/17" isn't postponed, this will be a fun Tiki weekend!

CA

APE plays the Make Out Room Thursday night!!

lots of surprises from me and tiki tony..... i still got stuff to finish.....

M

To echo stuckie:

I had a chance to see the proofs of the book that will accompany this show over the weekend and got a sneak peek at the artwork that will be on display. No, this isn't some "nyah, nyah- look at cool me" bullshit post, this is just to let everyone know that they should plan on making it out to see this show- the art (like last time) is INCREDIBLE, and the installations from some of TC's best and brightest will knock your socks off. Southlanders should start planning roadtrip carpools and locals better come out in force.

So that's it- Otto's put a great show together and I suggest you come! Don't miss it!

[ Edited by: martiki 2005-08-15 14:32 ]

oh, mine is a 'nyah nyah, I'm so cool' post, I saw the book also... and they're right, great stuff....

nyah nyah, I'm so cool....

sounds like fun!

can us "uncool" folks who don't know nobody show up too??
:D

M

On 2005-08-15 15:32, mrs. pineapple wrote:
oh, mine is a 'nyah nyah, I'm so cool' post, I saw the book also... and they're right, great stuff....

nyah nyah, I'm so cool....

I was cool even BEFORE I saw the book!!! tee hee

T

The Second Annual Tiki Show

"Tiki Art Two"
The Second Coming of a New Art God
Curated by: Otto von Stroheim of Tiki News

Opening Reception
Friday, September 16, 2005
7pm - 11pm
Showing through October 8, 2005

The Shooting Gallery
839 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94109

Phone:
(415) 931-8035

http://www.shootinggallerysf.com

T

At least one of, if not all three, from the Pineapple clan will be attending the opening - however briefly. Hopefully Little Pina will cooperate. Forgive us if we speak in baby-talk or tell you how pwecious you are, unless you're Martiki - we always talk to him that way.

CA

tiki tony rolled in yesterday about 4 ish and in an hour had up some amazing stuff..... i trip to tiki wonderland....can't wait to see it finished...zazzzz

a peek at my stuff here:
http://www.tikimania.com/docs/tiki_now.html

[ Edited by: crazy al 2005-09-15 08:28 ]

Last's Ape show night was marargita/ape shit wonderful!!! But the traffic across the bay bridge SUCKED!!!! It took about and hour and a half to cross at 12:30 am. Why?
Read the CalTrans info:I 80
[SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA]
IS CLOSED TO EASTBOUND TRAFFIC FROM THE JCT OF US 101 TO 7TH ST
/IN SAN FRANCISCO/ (SAN FRANCISCO CO) FROM 0100 HRS TO 0600 HRS TUESDAY THRU
FRIDAY THRU 9/23/05 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE .
One AM my ape as*!!!! They closed it earlier than that!!!
SOOO, I highly recommend taking ANY OTHER bridge!!!!
Or leave EARLY! If you insist on taking the Bay Bridge, I recommend you head down Mission St to First st, take a right and enter the bridge that way. That was the ONLY entrance open last night, you should bypass most of the traffic that way. DO NOT take Bryant or Folsom!!! Good luck!

T
[SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA]  
IS CLOSED TO EASTBOUND TRAFFIC FROM THE JCT OF US 101 TO 7TH ST  

/IN SAN FRANCISCO/ (SAN FRANCISCO CO) FROM 0100 HRS TO 0600 HRS TUESDAY THRU
FRIDAY THRU 9/23/05 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

1:00AM tonight is Saturday, so it doesn't apply right? Tuesday through Friday makes me think they are working Monday night through Thursday night, but not tonight.

I think it took smiley and hour and a half because his direction screwed up ability reading....

huh?

wasn't it the burning beer truck? or construction?

A couple of years ago we had a party at our house, and they closed the West Bound direction (into SF) of the Bay Bridge at 2 am, and about half our city bound guests got turned around as they tried to go home. THAT sucked, for them.
See you tonight, we'll be home long before they close anything!

M

On 2005-09-16 13:05, mrs. pineapple wrote:

wasn't it the burning beer truck? or construction?

See you tonight, we'll be home long before they close anything!

It was construction.
Now Caltrans says the construction will happen from 1 am on Tues to Friday.Do they mean Friday night/Sat am? Or was 1 am, Friday this past morning when I was stuck on the bridge. I am too tired to call Caltrans--any takers?

MT

Yeah, I gave Mr. Smiley a ride home, since we both live in the East Bay, and that commute home was not Zazz. The freeway onramp was in plain sight, about 2 to 3 blocks ahead of us, on Bryant. We had a chance to cut down an alley and shoot down 4th Street and get on 101 to go over the San Mateo bridge.

But Bruce and I both said, "Naw, that would be much longer, let's just get on the on-ramp two blocks in front of us." Well, they closed off that onramp before we could get there, and diverted all of the traffic around to the 1st Street onramp instead. Take my word, going down the peninsula and crossing over the San Mateo Bridge will save you at least an hour, if not more. We definitely regretted not doing that as we listened to Bruce's newly autographed Jean Jacques Perrey CD for the 25th time.

Wow! what a great show! Otto did a fine job of curating this one, and the artists work is amazing, YEAH!! We could only stay for a bit, the baby pineapple needed a good meal, but this years show was even better than last year, if that's possible. If you are in SF in the next few weeks, you should really check it out. Our only regret is not having won the lotto so we could buy a bunch of stuff!
mrs. & baby Pineapple

Hey ! Here are a few pics from Vics that I took just before the show. I had a blast and I think everybody else did. Well this is my first photo post ..... hope it works.
Cheers !

[ Edited by: Man from Munkle 2005-09-18 17:41 ]

MT

On 2005-09-18 17:40, Man from Munkle wrote:

[ Edited by: Man from Munkle 2005-09-18 17:41 ]

Who's that narc standin' next to Unga?

CA

just getting back to things here at home.......
What a fantastic night of tiki! i missed the initial trader vic's sloshing, but got over there for a Martiki Mai Tai.... $5!!

why one of my favorite pieces barely had a tiki in it.....?

Hu&Han holding up the Munk Machine

"ya, Unga.... I did this all in a Week........."

the inspiration behind the birds....

in the hut....nice work

a bit o' work but by 4:30PM it was done

the art critics.....

"my head would look nicely shrunken up in there..."

inspector Jab and Smiley

Heather, Isabel, and two hangers on....

the middle is Justin, the Gallery Owner, who i spent a week with... he's the greatest, but he may not want to see me for a while...

i could have never made it to the finish line with out this local long time SF Tiki/burningman artist, TIKI TOM... he just showed up and said what need to be done to get it done...... awesome!

K

wish i could have made it to this event...Justin the gallery owner is totally looped! we had a hell of a time at the tiki ti when he was down last...never been to shooting gallery or white walls...soon...looks like the goons that did make it had a great time...swell!

H

Man, what a crazy night! Things got of to a riotous start when we arrived at Trader Martin's and got to revel in that whole development. Our progress to the art show was, uh, slowed. Very exciting. Once we did make it to the art show, it was jam-packed -- I never did get to properly explore the tikified alcoves (are those permanent installations? they look great in the pics!). It was really too crowded to properly enjoy the art, but hey, that's how openings work. We'll have to make a return visit to enjoy the show again. It was, however, a blast. Afterward, we got a bit to eat at Original Joe's, and then the siren call of the Hinky Dink's Fizzy brought us back again into Martin's clutches at Trader Vic's. Actually, by that time he was off, and got to relax with us for a while. A grand night on the town!

Here are my pictures:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/tikiartnow/

And some selections:

:up: Ahhh... tiki

:up: Unga Bunga spotted these tiki door handles and grabbed this pic, I'll add them to the tiki door handles thread

:up: He looks right at home, doesn't he?

:up: Smiley makes me smiley :)

:up: This is about as close as I got to the alcoves -- darn that Hinky Dink's Fizzy!

:up: The Munktiki art offerings

:up: Love this pair

:up: FASENCO! Tonga in Cheeki makes an appearance

:up: The ringmaster, Otto

:up: Otto an' me (pic from my friend Laura)

:up: Ahhh... more tiki

:up: Tiki an' Smiley, in similar states of repose

:up: Martiki off work

:up: Okay, I've gotta say, I think jab looks dead sexy in this pic. I wish it was a little less blurry.

:up: Patrick was kind enough to sneak us into the men's room, which has better decor than the ladies' room

T

thanks for all the pictures from everyone. This is the only way that I get to see it.

T

Thanks Humu, but who wouldn't look sexy in front of all those bottles of booze? Perhaps it was also the steak glow from the Porterhouse I ate at Original Joe's.

I must say the Hinky Dink's Fizzy threw me for a loop as well. It must have been the champagne. Or the 2 mai tais, Tonga punch, sips from the Kava Bowl, shot of rum, shot of Fernet Branca and beer at the art show, or the manhattan I had at Joe's!

MG

Great photos guys! Wish I could have made it up there this time.

Otto, will there be a Tiki Art 3?

The Shooting Gallery has posted the event photos, if you'd like to check them out here's the link http://www.shootinggallerysf.com/EventPhotos/2005/09_16_05_TikiArtTwo/TikiShowRecp05.htm . Plus here's some preshow photos :

You can see all the work Crazy Al had to do get his fantastic Art up.

Stuckie getting the Munktiki Vending Machine Ready.

We stopped by Ewik's ( "aka" Eric Rider ) Studio on the way home and checked out his latest stuff.

If your in San Francisco do stop on by the Shooting Gallery and check it out . Tiki Tony's and Crazy Al's Installations must be seen in person for maximum effect. Also experience the THRILL of MUNKTIKI VENDING MACHINE !

"I did not say Shaq, I said Shag"
(Sorry HanHu)

K

That lookes like it was a great show Im so pissed I diddnt go...

Pages: 1 27 replies