Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My Groovy Tiki Hat

Pages: 1 12 replies

OL

Every time I wear this hat, someone asks me: Where did you get that hat? Did you make it? I like my hat so much, I decided it deserved a thread. It’s made of raffia and tapa cloth.

I bought this hat at a swap meet in Long Beach, California, earlier this year. I paid $35.00 for it. I normally would have tried to bargain a lower price, but someone else was looking at it and I didn’t want to give them a chance to outbid me.

I believe it’s a vintage hat because of the look of the label. It says “Happy Cappers The Field Company Los Angeles – Calif” I’ve googled those names and it’s led me to a few e-bay auctions for other hats, but no info about this company.

I’m sure the raffia is part of the original construction (not added later) because it’s all sewn together with the same pale pink thread.

The tapa cloth is twice as wide as what’s shown here. It’s folded in half to make the band.

I hope you enjoyed seeing these pictures.

T

Were you wearing the hat at the Tiki Farm parking lot sale back in April? I think that's the first time I recall seeing it.

It's a great signature piece for you.

Nice to know more about it. The detailed pictures are great.

Kate

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 9, 2005 6:47 PM

Cool hat. If you ever get sick of wearing it, it would make a cool lampshade :)

T

OO-coo,

That's a damn fine hat! If you ever tire of it, the Bong would love to make it his signiture capo!

C

My first reading of posts ever & I'm lucky enough to see 'the hat'. Didn't know what to expect after signing on here but looks like it will be fun! Nice hat dude.

You only go thru life once...

[ Edited by: codelisa 2005-08-09 20:23 ]

E

wow! That has to be the coolest hat EVER!!! I've been a hat collector for quite a long time, and I have not seen such a fine summer hat. I would have gladly paid $35 for that!

On 2005-08-09 20:22, codelisa wrote:
My first reading of posts ever & I'm lucky enough to see 'the hat'. Didn't know what to expect after signing on here but looks like it will be fun! Nice hat dude.

You only go thru life once...

[ Edited by: codelisa 2005-08-09 20:23 ]

spsssssssssssssss....Ookoo Lady isnt a dude.
oh yeah, welcome to Tiki Central.
Aloha :drink:

D

when i saw that hat at Oasis.. i told myself "self, you need to introduce yourself to the person under there" ~ and it was you, Ookoo Lady!

great hat. great lady!

Thanks for all the kind words.

Tiki-Kate, yes I did wear it to the Tiki Farm event.

Dogbytes, I do remember you came and introduced yourself. That was the Sunday morning of Oasis weekend, and I was pretty hungover at the time. (I hope I wasn't too grumpy).

Tiki-Rider, thank you for noticing!

And to every one else, no, I won't get tired of my hat anytime soon!

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2005-08-09 23:38 ]

Great hat, thanks for sharing! Wear it in good health.

T

That is a fantastic hat, and most definitely vintage. Good score!

I want to thank all the people who recently sent me e-mails and pm's when a similar hat went on e-bay. I was the lucky bidder, so now I have spare.

This is my favorite tiki accessory, and now I don't have to worry about wearing it out.

[mad scientist voice]
I must have world domination over all the groovy tiki hats!!! They're mine, I tell you!! All mine!!
[/mad scientist voice]

:)

[ Edited by: ookoo lady 2006-06-23 21:29 ]

H

:)

Pages: 1 12 replies