Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Don the Beachcomber menu $355?

Pages: 1 8 replies

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Aug 9, 2005 7:14 PM

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:05 ]

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:23 ]

M

Simple answer - look at the bidding history. A newbie put to much in, someone else is making him pay for it! Same reason the Luau 400 "vases" went for almost $400.00. Stupidity!

T

Am I missing something? It looks like it's only up to $45.....

Well if you look at the bid history, you'll see someone went fishingto see what someone else was wanting to pay for it.

There was a retracted bid for $2,300.00. I guess someone got carried away.

T

On 2005-08-10 09:26, Maori_man wrote:
Well if you look at the bid history, you'll see someone went fishingto see what someone else was wanting to pay for it.

Dammit - that's sneaky! And I thought sniping was a little sneaky.... I never thought of that - bid way too high & see what the other guys limit is, then retract it. Wow - I don't think I'd go to that limit....

the ebayer who is winning the auction has been buying up everything don the beachcomber over the last few months. he is willing to pay whatever it takes to get the item...as long as it is from don the beachcomber. i recall many months ago that this ebayer was in a bidding war with someone else for a don the beachcomber postcard which ended well over 100 bucks. so my guess is the "newbie" who was fishing is not new to ebay at all. maybe someone who was burned in the past by this guy? who knows. but hey, it seems like if you have any don the beachcomber stuff you dont care for, now is the time to unload it on ebay. :)

T

He seems to be buying up Trader Vic's items as well.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=7700301483

$41.00 for a matchbook???? That's like paying $30.00 for a Sambo's postcard!!!!

Uh..... erm.

The buyer sets the price, eh. I have a growing Trader Vic's collection. I will spend several hundred dollars to obtain a piece I desire to assemble my collection. I do not have the time or desire to scrounge flea markets or thrift stores, and besides Phoenix is not the coasts and does not have good finds anyway.

I suppose we all have our distinct preferences, and can spend our resources how we chose like the Don the Beachcomber guy. I tend not to judge, because I know I overspend often. Barnum said a "fool and his money are soon parted," or at least, I think Barnum stated that. I'll be a fool when it suits me...cannot take it with you.

Pages: 1 8 replies