Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

f.w. murnau's "tabu"

Pages: 1 3 replies

Is anyone familiar with the film, "TABU", by F.W. Murnau(Nosferatu)?

Yes, I just rented it from Netflix and watched it (also recorded it for future reference).

It is a great 1930's silent film that has some of the best vintage scenery from Tahiti that I have ever seen -- even though it is in black and white.

Also included in this film: an authentic kava ceremony and some of the finest island dancing I have ever seen.

Sailor Curt

Edited to correct spelling error.
Edited to add additional info.

[ Edited by: Sailor Curt 2005-08-11 16:22 ]

[ Edited by: Sailor Curt 2005-08-12 06:59 ]

There's a great commentary track, about the collaberation between Murnau and Robert Flaherty("Nanook of the North"), and the struggles they faced trying to film entirely in Tahiti. It really is a beautiful film. Goes well with Aurthur Lyman's "Taboo" as a soundtrack, too.

On 2005-08-12 10:42, SwampCreature wrote:
There's a great commentary track, about the collaberation between Murnau and Robert Flaherty("Nanook of the North"), and the struggles they faced trying to film entirely in Tahiti. It really is a beautiful film. Goes well with Aurthur Lyman's "Taboo" as a soundtrack, too.

Nice suggestion re using Lyman’s Taboo for the soundtrack!

Yes, the film has it all: swaying palm trees, tropical lagoons, native Tahitians used as "extras," authentic dancing and island scenes (entire film was shot on location in 1930's Tahiti) and of course, the enchanting Anne Chevalier as Reri, the "tabu" island girl! (As you noted, the NetFlix DVD has a great set of extra features describing how Chevalier went on to become a minor celebrity in France and how the film was shot, edited, etc. Pretty amazing stuff).

According to the Internet Movie Database, "The film was censored upon release to remove nudity involving natives on the island." Such a shame, that, but the film is still pretty risqué considering the standards of the time.

Film synopsis from IMDb:

"In one island of Bora Bora lagoon, a young fisherman, Matahi, is in love with Reri. But she is chosen to be the holy maid and therefore becomes "tabu". They ran away from that tradition. Will they be happier and luckier in the more "civilized" society?"

I know the answer, but will not spoil it for anyone!

More on the film can be found here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022458/

Edited to correct typo.

Sailor Curt

[ Edited by: Sailor Curt 2005-08-12 12:57 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies