Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Shriners Mini cars

Pages: 1 20 replies

Can someone please expalin to me the origins of shriners driving those mini cars at parades. They always make for great pictures, but I've no idea why they do it.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2005-08-10 04:57 ]

Apparently, so I've heard Shriners have very short legs.
Does this answer your question?

Then why not use stilts, Cheekytiki?

I believe your logic is flawed.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2005-08-10 07:15 ]

'Cause that would be stupid!
Who's ever heard of someone driving a car with stilts on?

What about ED 'Stilts' McGee, 5 times winner of the Indianapolis 500, 1949,1951,1952,1954,1955?

Good point.
Did he wear his Fez over or under his crash helmet?

Crash helmet! ya big girl.

He OBVIOUSLY had a fez with chin strap!

Crash Helmets weren't mandatory until 1963, when women were allowed to race.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2005-08-10 08:04 ]

But women have long legs and I don't think are allowed to become Shriners

That is true. Although a couple of ugly ones have been known to penetrate the ranks.

However women are allowed to complete in the man's sport of motor vehicle racing. Bless 'em.

This year at the Huntington Beach 4th of July parade those wacky Shriners threw me for a loop when a "Brigade" of 'em showed up riding a kind of electric "Go-Ped" with a tiny dune buggy on the bottom...they WOWED the audience with their precision zig-zagging on those silly little things.

I did not realize that ED 'Stilts' McGee was a woman shriner. Should we bless her as well?

Sabu

For equality I think we should.

Although I still need an answer to the original question.
Where did the origins of the shriners and little cars come from?

J

I have absolutely no idea why the Shriners drive around in their stereotypical tiny cars... but now they've branched out.

This summer the Shriners held their annual convention in Baltimore and had a massive parade on July 4th, which sadly I couldn't attend. Luckily I did get a look at some video of the event and it was absolutely awesome! Check out the vehicles the Shriners are rollin' around in now!

Mini tractor & trailers...

Magic carpets...

Motorized camels...

Why still remains a mystery but damn is that cool! :)

Info on Shriners
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriners
Great book on Shriners
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0972778837/qid=1123726239/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_sbs_1/104-9531730-3651160?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
World headquarters for Shriners is in Saint Petersburg.

[ Edited by: Tikigardener 2005-08-10 19:14 ]

Your answer...

"We Shriners ride those novelty cars to gain attention to
the Shrine and of course our Shriners Hospitals for
Children. We try to appear at any function for cities,
church, service, and other organizations who request us.
I hope this answers your question. Please contact me if
you need additional information."

http://www.larkfarm.com/shriner_car_answers.htm

[ Edited by: TikiGardener 2005-08-11 00:07 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 10, 2005 8:20 PM

Well you learn something new everyday. Now i know what a shriner is and why they drive little cars

Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Can someone please expalin to me the origins of shriners driving those mini cars at parades.

Three syllables: Al-co-hol.

Thanks Tikigardener. The simple explanations are always the best.

JohnTiki, thanks for those FANTASTIC photos.

Now where's my fez....................

R

Someone in a nearby city (owensboro, Ky) is selling a Shriner truck! the little semi with trailer. I have no idea why or for how much, i'll try to drive by the place this week and call about the price.

J

I always wanted a Nash Metropolitan.

I am so tall that I would look like a shriner driving it. The model with a sunroof would be best, so I could stick my head (and maybe shoulders) out of. A convertible would probably do as well.

Note to self: Find a Fez with a chinstrap.

My only fear is that nobody would get the whole shriner connection and I would just look like a circus clown. Every time I would exit the vehicle, people would be waiting for the other dozen clowns to get out...

Pages: 1 20 replies