Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

AAC Carving Post

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 20, 2005 5:27 AM

Hey moondance. Those carvings sure are progressing along nicely. Dont get too caught up in the stressing, just let it flow and have at it. If you stuff up, there is always another to have a go at.

Yeh, sanding is a pain, but they look heaps nicer when nicely sanded. I cant remember who it was, but someone on here has his missus sand his tikis, whilst he does the fun parts! You just need to find someone like that (dont we all :) ).

Moondance, don't sweat it. you'll know when you are ready. you're doing great so far.

hewey, that would be Tiki G. who has his girlfriend doing the sanding of the tikis.

Right, I forgot this is supposed to be relaxing!

Here's another AAC Moai, 2-footer, for a friend's bar:

Jeff-
I would appreciate if you would stop raising the bar on the AAC carvings. :)
You are the AAC King for sure.
Wes

thanks Wes, i don't know about the king part, but i appreciate your support!

one more 2-foot moai...

Damm Jeff, that is so sweet!

Thanks Wes. so when do we see an AAC piece by Moondance?
now i'm the one who's impatient.. :wink:

I'm working 6 days a week now because we are busy. Also I'm doing work around the house because we are re-financing. I'm half way finished with a concrete spitting Moai and a mask. As soon as that is completed it show-time!
The longer I wait the better your getting so the bar is extremely high at this point. But I not scared (yea right).
Wes

no fear, my friend, no fear!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 7:20 AM

yeh, our friend Palamas run off into the horizon, and the AAC hacks the likes of me dont know if well ever be able to catch up...

Gotta try :)

Do It to It, Hewey!

Hi palama. your AAC carvings ar awesome.keep up the good work.

thanks Marcus for the support and kind words!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2007 12:51 AM

Here's some more AAC tikis from me (still not a patch on Palama or AA's tikis though!)

This is just painted with artists acrylic, only for indoor use really. All hand painted.

This one was painted in exterior grade acrylic. Too glossy for my liking. Original plan was to sponge on multiple coats of different greys in a matt finish to give a more genuine stone look but I ran out of time.

These moai are still natural AAC. Never got around to finishing them off... :lol:

'lava moai', I think this was acrylic exterior paint...
Start with a nice fat moai

carve some lines into him

paint it red

and then black

A very rough quicky, good fun :D Did a rough carving, then attacked it with the corner of a chisel for that real rough look.

Paint was automotive gold metallic (in a spraycan), laid on real thick, followed by black auto spray whilst the gold was still wet. Notice how the gold metallic pools in the AAC holes? cool eh?

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-11-06 00:55 ]

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2007 1:13 PM

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Hewey. I forgot about it! Lots of good finishing ideas.

Here's the one I had abandonded because I didn't know what to paint it with. Actually, I've done a lot more carving on it since these pictures were taken.

Bowana

Where can I buy AAC in Southern California? This looks like fun!

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2007 8:06 PM

Hey griffithpark-

Check out this thread from Aaron's Akua on AAC.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10055&forum=7&hilite=AAC

You can't get it at places like Home Depot, so you have to order it. AA's thread has got addresses to where you can score some. Good luck!

Bowana

On 2007-11-06 13:13, Bowana wrote:

Bowana

Holy Moai! NEEAATTTTT Dave. Gel us.

So, Shawn Styles of Channel 8 just did a bit on AAC. Wont burn down. It is the newest building material for homes in burn zones! :)

Even mentioned that it was invented in 1929.

Erik the Red

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 20, 2007 6:41 PM

Gave this one a repaint, with metallic copper, followed by a black wash. Came out really cool :D

On 2007-11-06 00:51, hewey wrote:
These moai are still natural AAC. Never got around to finishing them off... :lol:

I've painted one of them now, and the 2nd one will follow shortly. I hacked the surface up to make it a little more interesting, then painted it gold with a black wash.

The comparison between the painted tiki and the natural AAC is interesting.

Pages: 1 2 68 replies