Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

I started a tiki blog

Pages: 1 17 replies

HL

As if all the other great tiki sites aren't enough, I've taken it upon myself to spread the word to the masses with a tiki-related blog, Tiki Talk. I hope that I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, but I haven't had a chance to communicate with the admins of this site and others, in hopes of getting it running before International Tiki Day.

I see this blog as a complement to Tiki Central and Konakai. I remember when I was first getting into the scene, how daunting it was to have to look through all the posts on TC and random links on Konakai to see what looked interesting. Even today, I find that I have to crawl through many, many posts to see when a new product has been introduced that I might be interested in. And I visit here at least every two days! So, it occurred to me that having a site that highlights the new stuff at a glance may be a good thing.

By the same token, I think the community aspects of this site and the people on it are what make this hobby special, so wherever possible, I'm going to provide a link to a discussion on Tiki Central on the subject, as long as that's cool with everyone. This way, Tiki Talk drives traffic to Tiki Central and brings in new members.

I am just now in the process of entering stories and events (I'm a designer, so of course I was too busy screwing around with the layout to worry about the content at first) so it's a little sparse, but take a look and please give me your feedback. Obviously, there's not much point in maintaining a site unless people are going to look at it.

Thanks!

Very nice job...Good graphics, very nice layout & the links are laid out nicely.

I've bookmarked it. GREAT JOB!

Heya Hot Lava -

The Tangaroa Lamp is not the last of the Tiki Room merch by Kevin & Jody - more will be coming out next Spring! Stay tuned....

P

Looks cool.
Kind of a nifty format for news, reviews, etc.
Good job.

HK

Wow...Thanks for the AWESOME plug, Hot Lava! We really appreciate it...every little bit of exposure helps.

I'm in St Pete too...a little north of Allendale...where are you? Don't you also play uke?

Josh Gibson
http://www.whollycatsband.com

On 2005-08-11 10:30, Hot Lava wrote:
I see this blog as a complement to Tiki Central and Konakai.

Mahalo for spreading the tiki aloha.

Checked out your blog and I like it a lot. Being new to this board I really understand what you mean by getting an information overload in all the posts. Your blog can be a good addition. Hope you keep it up (that's the hardest part with blogs)! Like your design!!
I've added the link to my own links-site (http://users.UGent.be/~kmareels), maybe it might help to get some more visitors on your blog.
greetz,
Kristel.

K

Aloha Hot Lava,

Mahalo for the nice review, braddah! We've been getting good response from the ohana on it. Thanks again.

Take care,

Kanekila

Kanekila

[ Edited by: Kanekila 2005-08-12 04:42 ]

good job!

by the way when will tiki talk & tiki central co-sponsor the first tiki hot air balloon at the albuquerque international balloon fiesta...

a huge floating (and co-branded) tiki head floating away with a batch of tc'ers chowin' down on funnel cakes at 8am... what a sight...

T

Ha! Thanks for the plug Hot Lava.....

So - I'm not sure I can let the cat out of the bag totally for the new items next Spring - but let's just say if you missed out on the original Hawaiian Host shirt, you may be a happy camper. Oh yeah - another item that will blow the Barker Bird out of the water in my book.....

HL

Everyone -- thanks for the praise for far. It's still a work in progress and I have a few more features in mind to implement.

Josh: You're welcome for the plug. I haven't been able to hear you play in person yet, but man, do you all sound great. Yes, I live in St. Pete and play the uke as well as I can. :) We're probably very close to each other -- I live close to the corner of 16th Ave N and Haines Road.

Tangaroa: I don't want to get you in any trouble revealing information you shouldn't. IMHO, Disney was nuts for all the WDI layoffs in recent years. If there's an off chance of getting you some work, I'm all for a plug!

Kristel: Boy, you aren't kidding that it's hard to keep blogging. This is my third try, but this time, my heart is really into it.

HK

did you mean 16th St? I didn't think Haines road went as far south as 16th ave.....I'm at 8th St N and 46th Ave N....we oughta get together and strum a bit sometime....we're like less than 2 miles away from each other!

Josh

Congrats! I think it's a swell idea, and a long time coming. Love what I see so far, look forward to seeing more!

HL

Josh - yes, I do mean 16th Street. I'll Private Message you sometime and we can work out when to get together.

UPDATE: You can now subscribe to the Event calendar using iCal, Sunbird, Mozilla, Firefox, and Thunderbird's Calendar, or any other software that supports .ics files.

[ Edited by: Hot Lava 2005-08-14 17:14 ]

Aloha Kakou,
I just wanted to share with everyone our new Tiki blog TIKI STORY . We lined up a few of our carvers who will be able to answer any questions you may have, we have dedicated only a few hours a weeks as a beta test.

I hope you will enjoy pictures and feedback.
Happy New Year!
Pohaku
http://www.tikimaster.com

Thought I'd give this a bump wondered if anyone else had a tiki blog guess they have!!!

I started one to help premote my tiki mug sales at VW shows in the UK just a bit of fun have a look if you like its only just started!

Warning has a half naked lady on there :)

http://www.tonmawrtiki.blogspot.com

Its so easy lets get some more on - this is via that "little" company google???
Never heard of um!!lol!!!

I think the record must be really good. And I even have two of the tracks on a comp. My blog has some tiki in it from time to time.

http://www.kawentzmann.de/wordpress

[ Edited by: Kawentzmann 2008-06-22 02:25 ]

Hell of a coincidence to find this thread open again - only this morning I started a blog on my Royal Tiki web site with a post about my lizard :D

Catch it here

I'll be blogging on there about anything tiki-related that catches my eye.

James Shaw
www.RoyalTiki.com

[ Edited by: royaltiki 2008-06-22 11:51 ]

Pages: 1 17 replies