Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Some rum

Pages: 1 11 replies

This is the window display of London's finest booze seller:

All prices in UK pounds. (Double it to get an idea of the US price....ouch!)

Trader Woody

DZ

Dear Santa:

Please bring me everything in this picture.

Love, Doctor Z

Have you been a good boy, Dr. Z? Hmmmm?

Apparently not...Santa is bringing him the Stroh.

M

On 2005-08-12 09:34, Rum Numb Davey wrote:

Haha - the only booze I've seen that made a perfectly sober person puke after downing a shot. I hadn't realised that Stroh produced a 'weaker' version, though. Wonder if it's drinkable.

Trader Woody

J
JTD posted on Fri, Aug 12, 2005 10:30 AM

Trader Woody,
"Ouch" is right. Are those typical prices for the UK, or is it just due to this being London's finest bottle shop?

Thanks,
JTD

DZ

On 2005-08-12 10:21, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2005-08-12 09:34, Rum Numb Davey wrote:

Haha - the only booze I've seen that made a perfectly sober person puke after downing a shot. I hadn't realised that Stroh produced a 'weaker' version, though. Wonder if it's drinkable.

Trader Woody

Along with an absurd amount of other alcohols, we went through an entire bottle of Stroh 80 at my party a few weeks ago, so even if that's all Santa brings, that'd be OK, 'cause I need to replace the bottle!

Now as far as being a 'good boy' goes, it all depends on how one defines 'good'... :wink:

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Aug 12, 2005 11:20 AM

Damn, and I thought prices were high in Florida!

With the awful time I've been having trying to track down a couple bottles of Lemon Hart, or any other Demarara rum for that matter, I'd gladly pay some of those prices! If I ever found a liquor store that had that much variety on their rum shelf I'd definitely be parting with some serious cash!

RD

Stroh was the first rum I ever tasted. I was in Germany for a bit in high school. A bunch of us took a train to Innsbruck, where I believe Stroh is made. The Stroh bear was everywhere. So my buddy Aaron and I made a last second decision before getting on the train home to grab a bottle (thanks to a huge stroh window display right by the station). I bought a bottle of 60, and Aaron a bottle of 40. They went all the way down to 12 or something, if I recall correctly. Anyway, we nipped at the bottles all the way back home. 40 was surprisingly smooth, 60 made our eyes water.
We all loved the butterscotch flavor. That began my love affair with rum, even after learning that's not the way rum is supposed to taste.
I've bought the 80 here in the states, but it's just plain nuts. It totally negates the purpose of an otherwise pleasant little sipping rum. It HAS been 14 years since that trip, so maybe it's not as good as remembered. Still, seeing the 40 in the picture made my heart pitter pat a bit.
Rum Numb Navy (or anyone else), do you know if the lesser proof Strohs are available in the states anywhere? C'mon, hook a brother up. Or at least convince me why I shouldn't go back.

cheers,
-Joe

On 2005-08-12 10:30, JTD wrote:
Trader Woody,
"Ouch" is right. Are those typical prices for the UK, or is it just due to this being London's finest bottle shop?

Thanks,
JTD

Well the prices are a little higher as the shop is based right in the center of London, but only by a couple of pounds or so. We pay a lot of tax on alchohol here, :( (though nowhere near as much as Scandinavian countries). Luckily, places where Brits mainly go on vacation (France, Spain, Greece etc) sell much cheaper booze, so we tend to stock up on the way back!

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 11 replies