Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

"Stroh..I don't wanna see that!"

Pages: 1 9 replies

.....says Aunt Sassy on HBO's fictional Room and Board.

Stroh Inlanderrum...Austrian "Rum?"

When I was in Austria doing cork dork wine buying mission in 1992, I noticed Stroh everywhere. Always the adventurous anthroalcohologists, I tried the 38, 60 and 80 Proof versions. Mostly Austrians drink Stroh in tea. Many Austrian bakers make Stroh rum cakes, as well. To put it mildly, it was NOT my cup o' tea. I think you have to have pure Teutonic blood to enjoy such a resin of pungent alcohol. (This is coming from a guy who loves Laphroig and Ardbeg Single Malt from Islay)

Is it really a rum? Well, Sebastian Stroh who produces it says it is. It is 1 to 2 percent real rum mixed with a neutral alcohol distilled from molasses, sugar cane, grain, and potatoes.

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Aug 12, 2005 11:27 AM

3.7 gallons...i think I may be meeting that in rum, gin and bourbon! It's those damnable Suffering Bastards, they gang up on me during every party.

RD

:::Copied from the other thread:::

Stroh was the first rum I ever tasted. I was in Germany for a bit in high school. A bunch of us took a train to Innsbruck, where I believe Stroh is made. The Stroh bear was everywhere. So my buddy Aaron and I made a last second decision before getting on the train home to grab a bottle (thanks to a huge stroh window display right by the station). I bought a bottle of 60, and Aaron a bottle of 40. They went all the way down to 12 or something, if I recall correctly. Anyway, we nipped at the bottles all the way back home. 40 was surprisingly smooth, 60 made our eyes water.
We all loved the butterscotch flavor. That began my love affair with rum, even after learning that's not the way rum is supposed to taste.
I've bought the 80 here in the states, but it's just plain nuts. It totally negates the purpose of an otherwise pleasant little sipping rum. It HAS been 14 years since that trip, so maybe it's not as good as remembered. Still, seeing the 40 in the picture made my heart pitter pat a bit.
Rum Numb Navy (or anyone else), do you know if the lesser proof Strohs are available in the states anywhere? C'mon, hook a brother up. Or at least convince me why I shouldn't go back.

cheers,
-Joe

Demon:
Stroh 80 is the only Stroh imported to USA. I know the Importer, Niche Imports.
Peter Nelson from Niche is a great guy. The Stroh distillery is in Klagenfurt.
I don't believe they ever made a twelve. Here are their following percentage brands.
Stroh Inländer Rum 60%
Stroh Inländer Rum 80%
Stroh Jagertee 60%
Stroh Original 38%
Stroh Original 40%
Stroh Original 54%
Stroh Original 60%
Stroh Original 80%
Stroh Rum 38%
They also bottle a Stroh Caribbean Rum for the Austrian, Italian, and German markets.

RD

Thanks Numb, for the prompt reply.

I wrote that reply in the other thread before even seeing your Stroh topic. Sorry to see it getting an unfavorable review from such a reputable source. Still, to my 18 year old palette it was a rare treat, especially in hot cocoa. The only way to shake my fascination will be to get my hands on a bottle of the lesser proof stuff.

Does anyone have any info on mailing the hard stuff internationally? I'd hate to arrange a purchase or trade only to have it confiscated at the border.

How about Canada? I can get over there easily enough. Any ideas on what Stroh is available up there guys?

-Joe

Oh no Joe..I just don't have a particular taste for Jaeggy, Bechy, or any of those European Herbal Liqueurs either. Millions of folks disagree with my palette on many spirits.

We all have our likes and dislikes, bruddah.
I like bitters, Sherry, and Scotch. Lots of people would not wash their car with those three libations.

I broker Agwa, and I know people who are repulsed by it. I love the stuff.
The lower percentage Stroh brands may be in Canada, but I doubt it.
Check around all mighty Internet!

RD

Ah yes, the mighty mighty internet. A bit of searching and I find that Stroh 54 is the only type carried in BC.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/products/190330

Now I just need to get my arse over the border. Or convince my BC TC neighbors to swing by with a bottle next time they're in town. You will be greatly rewarded... with mugs... as soon as I get the things glazed and fired...

I agree with you on the Jaeger and so forth. Though I've taken to floating a bit of Chartreuse on a gin and tonic. S'damn good.

thanks for all the help,
Joe

Now I was not talking about Chartreuse...don't lump them all together, Lil Demon.
Good luck on your Stroh huntin in the Great White North!

DZ

On 2005-08-12 16:10, Rum Numb Davey wrote:

I broker Agwa, and I know people who are repulsed by it. I love the stuff.

AGWA - now there's a man after my own liver! There's many a discussion in these forums about AGWA, and whenever certain TCers gather (The AGWAnauts), we usually will go through a bottle or three (I think our record is 5 at Tiki Oasis V) in the course of an evening...

Back to the Stroh discussion: I gave bottles of Stroh 80 as Christmas gifts last year!

I bought some of this stuff 'Goldkrone' while in Berlin
and it tastes vaguely like Stroh, though at 28% a hell of a lot weaker.

I must stress that's not me holding the bottle!

Not much about the stuff in English and when I tried the Google translate tool, one site said it was "Manufactured by experienced fuel-masters". Mmmmm......nice.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 9 replies