Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Sweet Daddy Tiki's Big Thrift Adventure. UPDATED MON, AUG. 15

Pages: 1 25 replies

Inspired by this post of Tikiwahine's, I documented my thrift store travels on Friday August 12th.

Most days I visit 2 or 3 thrift stores, but it's not unheard of for me to go to a dozen or more stores on a day off work.

Hope you enjoy my big thrift adventure.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2005-08-15 21:53 ]

niiiice..

though I would have walked off with that first hairdryer chair...

and dude.. no complaining about gas prices.. we just hit $1.13 here.. (oh wait... it just went down to $1.09.. I'm gonna fill up before it spikes to $1.20)

:wink:

Yeah, the hairdryer chair with the built in ashtray is a hoot!

Oooh thank you that was so fun!

Next time you can haul yourself out here we'll do a double hunt. TW & SDT take on all thrift shops in Victoria, plus antique row!

Happy International Tiki Day Sweet Daddy Tiki!

On 2005-08-13 22:36, Velvet Ruby wrote:

and dude.. no complaining about gas prices.. we just hit $1.13 here.. (oh wait... it just went down to $1.09.. I'm gonna fill up before it spikes to $1.20)

:wink:

Correct me if I'm wrong Ruby, but I thought your Petrol is dispensed in Liters. If my calculations are correct, that would make a gallon of gas $4.27! Whadda rip!

Thanks for the adventure SDT (& Tikiwahine)!
I'm so jealous!! Vancouver thrift stores are well picked over, you'd be hit by lightning before you'd find a Domed Record Player, Tiki mug let alone an Aeroflot plate! (OK...I've scored on occasion but you have to go daily...who has the time?).
Gas hit $1.11/Lt. at our nearest gas station...yikes, looks like I better fill-up in your neighbourhood Velvet Ruby!

K

Marvelous! I would have snapped up that treasure behind the pineapple salad bowl set-the plate painted with flamenco dancers. And now I'm inspired to festoon the perimeter of all my T.V. and computer screens with brightly colored beeble bobbles.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 14, 2005 5:36 AM

Cool dude. I love these threads. Do people give you wierd looks when you take photos inside a thrift store?

T

I cant beleive you left behind that Electrohome Stereo for 40 clams.... I dont care WHAT condition it was in!

B

I'm with tikifish. Leave one of those behind again and we'll have an intervention. Hell, just those cool speakers are worth the 40 dollars (Canadian!). For the love of all that's modern! Next time call one of us!!!!
-Duke

Shipwreck:
1 litre = 0.26417 US gallons
1 $ CDN = 84¢ US

97.9¢/litre = US $3.11/gallon
$1.13/litre = US $3.59/gallon

(and we call it gas, not petrol)

Hewey: I was worried I might get kicked out of stores for taking pictures, but I was very discreet with my digital camera and people hardly noticed.

tikifish wrote:
I cant beleive you left behind that Electrohome Stereo for 40 clams.... I dont care WHAT condition it was in!

Yeah, when I was looking at the pictures it looked a lot better than I remembered it. I may have to go back for another look (If it's still there). My auntie had one just like it when I was a kid. I used to play "domed city" with it.

I love it!

Now I'm tempted to move to Canada.

Another super high quality post. Thanks so much.

I have that same plastic kona coffee mill mug. Plastic.....

Sorry SweetDaddyTiki and all my Canadian brethren. My research was obviously flawed.

"Feel the handbrake penetrate your thigh
A tear of Petrol gets in your eye
Quick, let's make love before you die
On warm leatherette
On warm leatherette
C'mon & join the car crash set"

-the NORMAL

The heck with the thrift stores! Thanks for the gastronomical treat, I am so hungry now! I direct people around town by the donut shops.

Today I completed the thrift tour of Edmonton. New pages begin here.

Thanks for that SDT. That was very interesting and informative. It seems that Edmonton has more thrift stores than Calgary, but I could be wrong...

i want Daddy to take me shopping!

very cool photojournal of your shopping day!

Such impressive thrifting perserverance! You passed on the mermaid soap holders...

Thanks for the tour. :)

That was great fun tagging along shopping with you. Love the narrative. :D I can't believe how many thrift stores you have. Mine are just horrible. 98% clothes. I tried to donate a bunch of stuff not long ago and they would only take the clothes, some silk flower arrangements and pictures for the wall. Geez.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this vicarious thrift shopping trip, thanks so much!!! I am seriously amazed at how clean the thrift shops are! The thrifts in my area, Philadelphia, are DISGUSTING. I dont even go to them anymore, I cant take the smell or the filth of the stores, the merch and the customers. So thats another reason why this vicarious trip was fun.

T

Thundermug!!!

Gee, that was fun. Maybe I'll go thrifting tomorrow.

But ya know, I really liked the adorable little 50's side chairs and even the red dinette set at, I think it was the second place you went. sigh Many years ago when I got my first studio apt. in Oakland CA I'd've killed for a little red table and chairs like that to brighten up my weensy, drab kitchen.

I remember thrifting in Canada about eight years back. Man, I can't believe all the great stuff I found...a great old "Tonga Room" tiki mug...a Harris tweed coat...40's dinnerware and silver...vintage 50's cashmere sweaters for three bucks...SOB. (And that was just the small stuff!) Good to know the lovely North can still provide a bit of thrifting goodness even nowadays.

:) THANKS, SweetDaddyTiki! dat was fun!

J

20 thrift stores?! 20!! You've got to be kidding me?! I've got 3 thrift stores in my surrounding area, I'd kill to have that many places to scavenge and spend! It was a great trip though - thanks for taking us along! I'm half tempted to document my trip to the thrift stores but I don't think I'd have much to share! Guess that's one of the drawbacks of living out here in the sticks! :)

PI

That was great. Good Friday morning reading. If I come to Canada, I want to come shopping/eating with you!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. If you're ever in Edmonton (I know it's a top destination for international jet-setters) I'd be more than happy to give you a personalized Sweet Daddy Tiki thrift store tour.

An update: The space-agey Electrohome stereo turned up at this RetroEamesShag store on 124th Street with a price tag of something like $275. D'oh!

(I did a little 124th street walking tour)

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 01:08 ]

Pages: 1 25 replies