Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

the stranglers new cd!!

Pages: 1 6 replies

I just got it and Oh Dear God is it GREAT!!! Have anya yous' guys heard it? Too bad it'll flop in the US. I've loved this band since the "early days" and they rarely disappoint. But this one really rocks my boat! Its kinda reminiscent of their early "punk" years without sounding like they're trying to sound like they wanted to put out an album that is reminiscent of their early "punk" years (?). Trust me on this one people...GET IT!

Are you referring to the 2004 release "Norfolk Coast"? or is there something newer?

Yeah that's the one. It's new in Strangler terms. I knew you'd be hip to it Hakalugi. Do you dig it or am I exaggerating it's greatness?

Who's fronting them now?

H

Tikitortured is right. I have a copy of this and it is a fine release which grows on you quite easily. The line up is different (three original members) but if you've ever liked the Stranglers you won't be disappointed. In the USA it's only available as an import.

Freddie, here's a review that will answer your question along with soundbites:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/classicpop/reviews/stranglers_norfolk.shtml

OK, JJ's been singin' some of the songs since the beginning, and I like Paul Roberts better than the rumored switch to Nick Cash from 999 that was floating around when Hugh first left.

Speaking of Hugh...have you ever heard any of his solo stuff? Very odd indeed...I dig a lot of it but it's really hit or miss. He did some stuff with the drummer of Captain Beefheart that was really cool (Nosferatu), and his live album is nothing short of amazing. By the way, when Hugh left, he was replaced by two guys: Paul Roberts from a band called Sniff 'n the Tears (Drivers Seat) and John Ellis from the Vibrators. The first album with this line-up I consider to be a "classic" Stanglers album.

Pages: 1 6 replies