Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Moai Mug, Is it worth it?

Pages: 1 10 replies

TM

Found this auction today and saw that our friend Kaholacharms has already bid $50. I have a couple of these and have passed on 'em at flea markets. I never thought of the value....Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAREST-7-25-HAWAIIAN-ROOM-40s-Tiki-Pottery-Mug-NYC_W0QQitemZ7706766928QQcategoryZ29460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

M

any thoughts

Never take counsel of your fears.
Andrew Jackson

Oh, I see, thoughts on this mug? I'm telling ya, I ain't too quick on the draw. I am petty much just trying to walk upright and not be afraid of fire.

It's a common mug, as you are obviously aware. So this specimen is unmarked but has an interesting story? Well, my pal Melvin and I were driving across the desert one night, picked up a decrepit old dude, gave him a lift into town. All he had to offer us for the hospitality was a Tiki Leilani mug he had used in toasting undying love to innumerable starlets, among them Ava Gardner and Jean Harlow. That mug, or, he would put us in his will(said he was worth billions). I like Tiki, took the mug. Ole Melvin opted for inclusion in the codger's last testament. Melvin was always an easy mark and he didn't believe the story about Ava Gardner. Jean Harlow, sure, she was loose, but Ava had style he said and would never go for that pseudo-eternal love Tiki b.s. I don't know, I was always more of a Rita Hayworth man.

You may get other replies along the line of "Oh, it's worth what you're willing to pay." That typical watered-down pablum passing as reasoned counsel these days just makes me embarrassed to be an American. You shalln't get that from me. Nuh uh, Mogambo, I didn't go to 'Nam and lose a good portion of my cerebral cortex for that type of response. I take a stand and do it with flair. With me you get buxom Hollywood starlets and the straight dope, the skinny, the dirt, the real McCoy, the low-down, the...ok, what was the question?

Twelve dollars. It's worth twelve dollars. With shipping.

"Sell the sizzle, buy the steak. Why buy the cow if you want the chicken to cross the road?"
midnite

TM

Midnight, Did you forget your Meds yesterday,I hope so, cuz your really funny.......

M

Sonsabeaches! It was supposed to read "Melvin, Howard, and Midnite". I originally suggested "Midnite, Melvin, and Howard" but those studio twits couldn't get jiggy with the alliteration. I have got to get me better legal representation, my current counsel is a maroon.

Screwed again by the Man. That's ok, I still got my guitar.

The moai mug continues to be worth twelve dolars, but shipping is extra.

midnite

Hmm, seller claims it came from the Hawaiian Room in NYC (The Lexington Hotel, no?). That would make it cool
BUT
it had no markings showing this fact.

I guess it depends on how much The Hawaiian Room meant to you...

J

If you're a completist I'm sure you'd be willing to pay $50.00 for this larger sized version of a fairly common mug. I personally wouldn't care to spend fifty bucks for 2 more inches of ceramic.

Yea Kohalacharms! - I know winning this mug will make your private museum that much better!

Looks like it might be from "The Tikis" - there's a picture of it in Sven Kirsten's book.

B

Guess not. The bid has been retracted.

:( What happened Kohalacharms?! I really wanted you to win this one!

I love it - although the $49.99 bid is retracted, the seller still lists it as "Low opening bid"....of $49.99.

Low opening bid for a Steve Crane, maybe.

Pages: 1 10 replies