Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

MC5 manager & 60s icon John Sinclair poetry reading at Otto's Shrunken Head NYC

Pages: 1 0 replies

Hey all you MC5 fans, crazy happenings in NYC this past weekend. I was sitting in a restaurant in my neighborhood having dinner with my lady, when suddenly she sees someone walk in the door and says 'where do I know that guy from?' I turn around and see that it's John Sinclair 1960s counter-cutlure icon and infamous manager of the legendary infamous rock band the MC5! She recognized him because we had just recently seen the MC5 documentary 'A True Testimonial'. Long story short, I was shy, she asked for his autograph and asked what he was up to because I had heard that he now lives in Amsterdam. He said he was in NYC for the weekend and would be performing at Otto's later that night. What??!! John Sinclair/MC5 + Tiki?? For real? I went over to see him and it was very cool. He had a blues band backing him for his reading which was very beatnick era in nature. Best line I can remember from one of his poems was 'cocaine, pussy, and lobster...in that order".

PS I brought one of my vintage Circus Magazines with The MC5 on the cover for him to autograph. Which he was more than happy to do. I also bought a copy of his long out of print book 'Guitar Army' which he also signed for me. We chatted a little and he couldn't have been nicer. Otto's is a great place, however, their Tiki drinks are sub-par. I don't drink them. Not out of snobbery, but because...hate to say it..they kinda suck. I get acid reflux just thinking of how they taste. But whatever...it still has great Tiki 'ambience'. A really cool experience indeed.

Kick Out the (Tiki) Jams Motherf*cker"

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2005-08-15 11:59 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies