running with the tikis! Finish Pics!! pg 3

Pages: 1 2 55 replies

CA

Crazy AL's Great Tiki Trek!!
SEE AL RUN.
See Lizzy Run.
(ok)
See them walk....
Ok...Get ready for some more wackiness from your Crazy friend....
I’m training to run a marathon!!

What's so tiki about that?

I'm running the Honolulu Marathon!!
I hope the tikis don't want blood that day....

It's not all that Crazy a notion. I'm not going to break any land speed records. Rather, I'll be raising allot of funds for a great cause. I've been dreaming about running a marathon since the 10k runs I did as a thirteen year old. Those days are long-long ago, but my better half Lizzy has got me thinking about this dream again.

The American Stroke Association - Train To End Stroke - has spurred Lizzy into action. It is a program that strives to bring more awareness to the major Stroke problem in the USA. Stoke has affected both of Lizzy's parents. Her dad had a massive stroke when he was 55 years old. It left him paralyzed on his right side & he lost his speech. Which never regained. Lizzy's mom had a stroke last October. Although it was mild, it did have its repercussions. This ASA program just seemed like it was the thing to get her running (ok, maybe walk run walk running). I've decided to join her as Stroke has hit my family and friend's families as well.

The idea is to bring more awareness to us all about Stroke. Until a week ago, I was not aware of these stroke statistics:

every 45 seconds someone suffers a stroke

every 3.1 minutes someone dies of stroke

there are 4.4 million stroke survivors

29% of people who have strokes are under the age of 65

Although Lizzy and I signed up for the Phoenix ½ Marathon, our goal is to walk/run the full one in Hawaii!! the Honolulu Marathon!! (Dec. 11, 2005). I will be training for hundreds of miles over the next five months! Not only training but also I'll be raising over $4000 for the ASA... Yah!!! or is it Yikes! This is the target for a Hawaiian race. But like a marathon allot of little steps get you to the finish line.

I am writing to ask you for your support in this huge effort. Through your generous contribution to the American Stroke Association I am hoping to hit the target set.

I hope to get a special commemorative tiki gift made for those contributors that have been very generous to the cause. But right now I'm stuffing envelopes and gearing up etc...

Some of you will be getting a letter this week with a self addressed stamped envelope. Thanks for taking the time to send a donation back to me. For those of you not receiving letters, you can contribute online and check out my progress!!

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=103258&supId=90495245

You can also send a check payable to: AmericanStrokeAssociation

directly to me at po box 553 - Sunset Bch CA 90742

Once again, I will be running in this marathon in hopes to bring awareness to stroke. Because let me tell you, it not only affects the victim, it affects the whole family. If you have a friend or loved one who has been affected by stroke, I would be honored to complete this event in their name as well. Please include the person’s name on the response form.

I am really excited about reaching this goal! I look forward to running, walking...(crawling?) on behalf of any one who can’t do so due to having a stroke. Many stroke survivors have trained and ran....

I may not want to walk in their shoes....But I can run in mine with them!!

Please help me in reaching the finish line of my fund raising.

Thanks!
STAY TIKI !!
C'AL

[ Edited by: crazy al 2005-12-17 12:33 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 15, 2005 9:42 PM

Hey Al. Good luck with the run, I hope you raise lots of cash.

Good for you, Al. What a great cause. Although my family has been fortunate enough to elude strokes, a co-worker of mine has been plagued with them for almost 13 years. He now has several large areas of his brain that have been irreversibly damaged. His vision is blurred and he can no longer be in any sort of light without sunglasses. He has problems recognizing people he's known for years and he gets easily confused. He doesn't have problems speaking or moving (thank God), but his metal capacity has been forever diminished. This is a man that I've known ever since I was kid. I can only imagine how much it would effect me if he was a part of my family.

I wholeheartedly support your efforts. I know you had my address at one point. If you can't find it shoot me an email.

[ Edited by: SON OF MOTHRA 2005-08-16 07:40 ]

I'm behind his actions!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-08-16 09:36 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-08-30 22:43 ]

CA

Right on!!! i heard Ben has stopped smoking for the 50th time!! He's now started a tiki carving work out routine!! He plays the APE CD while swinging an ax on a treadmill!!!

exercising while he makes money!!! I love this guy...

Seriously folks this is not a search for a cure.... for the vast majority of us we already have the cure.... diet and exercise... thats what this is about...

hear is another lovely story that was sent to me... could this happen to you?
"my grandfather suffered several strokes, and ultimately committed suicide as a result. I also work as a speech therapist and have treated many stroke patients with varying degrees of impairment. Thanks for supporting this GREAT cause!"

WooHoo to Crazy Al & Lizzy for helping to raise $ for this Special Event!!! You definitely have Soccer Tiki's and My Support. Good Luck to You!!! :)

You have my support and $$.

Where do I send some dough?

Al, Got the info in the mail today...You can definitely count me in on a contribution.....Lemme break open the piggy bank (mostly paper inside!!!)
SoccerTiki

A) Go Al and Lizzy!
Team Pineapple is in for a pledge, if The Pineapples can ride their bikes 585 miles in 7 days, Al n Lizzy can run the Honolulu Marathon!!!

B) When did Ben learn photoshop? Are the kids helping you Ben?

Seriously, you guys can totally do it! It may be the toughest thing you'll ever do, but you can do it!

Aloha TC and the Billions of LURKERS!!!

I got a sneak peek today of our Mr. Crazy Al starting

TIKI # 100 !!!! (not 99, not 101, but 100!!!!!!!!)(whats 100?? a century?? a decade?? Crazy man!)

(I think I heard that this one is going to be auctioned off for the charity of the Stroke. Score! My Grandfather Eli (not Ely ) died from several Sun Strokes ( as they called them back then). Great cause.

It will be a Great TIKI to bid on because more than his heart is going into it. 26 miles!!! Not including the training!!!!!! Arrrrr!!!!

p.s. Hey C'Al. I have another bed to deliver. Wanna help?? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

CA

here's the latest on tiki#100

What a tiki stud.

H

Wow! I just donated, and it was so easy, and I think it also cured my Sneaky Tiki-induced hangover! Here's the place to do it:

Tiki Trek Donation Page of Crazy Al Evans

Crazy Al's doing all the hard work -- go Al! -- make sure his work isn't for naught, and donate today!

Al-What was the final bid for your tiki at the Beach Fest??? Any pictures of it?
SoccerTiki

Aloha Tiki Freaks!

Thought I'd donate a couple of things to raise some dough for C'Al's Running wit da Tiki Marathon for the Stroke Society. All proceeds go direct to C'Al's gig. Best offer wins. No reserve.

Here we go.

This Hand (re-designed) Painted over silk screen, Hand Signed to the winner, Long Sleeve cotton t-shirt size xxl, but shrunk down to a xl and used for maybe the last 3-4 years, but always washed and worn during several TIKI BAR installations, by Bamboo Ben for good Karma, very SHAG type e-bay shirt, seen in many TC photos, blah blah blah, Arrrrrrrrr!

Post your bids on this post.

p.s. I'll even throw in a pair of shorts too!!

Front..............

Back...............

p.s. Many years of TIKI KARMA ( blood, sweat and tears, trust me!) on this shirt and shorts (size 34). Do the right thing and bid away!!! It's for a great cause!!! Ely Hedley ( according to Sven and James T. ) aka Eli my Grand Father, the Original Beachcomber, died from 7 strokes. This is a great thing the C'Al's are doing. Go!
Go People Go!

CA

Hmmm... Ben's Bamboo Holders up of Auction? GREAT!
I heard somewhere that Ben has some Eli pics to accompany my charity tiki........???

The ASA, 26 mile, Tiki of wounder hasn't seen day light since the Lucky Tiki Art Show.... Quite a bit more work to go on #100...

I haven't started the bidding yet on the tiki,I never seem to get a sign up sheet drawn up for the past events. Considering the excellent nature of this log, and that the hardness of it has given me only one choice to just carve the crap out of it.

The bidding will most likely start at my minimum off $100 a foot.....more info later.

T

Who's 65 Thunderbird is that in the back ground?

Tiki Bob

S

Interesting timing as Ms Swanky's father just had a mild stroke last week and we are suddenly becoming experts. Great work Al!

On 2005-08-30 23:22, crazy al wrote:
Hmmm... Ben's Bamboo Holders up of Auction? GREAT!
I heard somewhere that Ben has some Eli pics to accompany my charity tiki........?

Yes I do Mr. Crazy Al!!! They will be up next week, fo sure!!!

Eli ( Ely to Sven and James, BOT and TRT) my Grandfather, my middle name, The Original Beachcomber, Decorator of many Tiki Icons of the past, passed away from 7 strokes.

Being that, I'm donating 7 -8x10 re-prints of some his classic Tiki pics. Several Aku Aku behind Disneyland( not the BOT one), Cranes Luau, Kelbos, Trader Dicks and a few more "Un-re-leased Pics" for "Private Consumption!" Might even throw in some Boo frames too.

Have at it when they come up. It ALL goes to Al's charity. He's not just running for the Tikis, he's running for us!

I poke C'Al all the time about training but He & Lady Lizzy are really into this and serious. Score for both of them. GO!

What. No bids on the shirt and shorts??? Arrrrrrr!!!

... running is good exercise... remember to stretch, drink water and take your vitamin C...

M

As Swanky said, my father suffered a stroke for the first time last week. It was a shock...
I was very pleased to see what you are doing and applaud your tremendous efforts! I also greatly appreciate it! I wish I could help further your efforts by contributing money, but every last penny I have will be going directly to a victim, my dad.
I just wanted to give you some encouragement and to encourage others here to help out.
A stroke is an ugly thing and there is no expecting it... it just happens... and you can never prepare yourself for the ramifications of it.
Good Luck Al! And many thanks from myself and my family!

M

On 2005-09-02 14:05, MsSwanky wrote:
As Swanky said, my father suffered a stroke for the first time last week. It was a shock...
I was very pleased to see what you are doing and applaud your tremendous efforts! I also greatly appreciate it! I wish I could help further your efforts by contributing money, but every last penny I have will be going directly to a victim, my dad.
I just wanted to give you some encouragement and to encourage others here to help out.
A stroke is an ugly thing and there is no expecting it... it just happens... and you can never prepare yourself for the ramifications of it.
Good Luck Al! And many thanks from myself and my family!

sorry to hear this, I hope he can have a good recovery.

CA

Thanks all for your great efforts and sharing your stories.... Stoke is a 'Life Time' of rebuilding.... so......
I've suspended my ASA found raising a bit... New Orleans is a Tsunami of insane proportions and we all know what to do there......

in Oct.
look for Me and the Menehunes at the Purple Orchid with give aways and such
Also another Art Auction at the Lucky Tiki!!!
till then... I'm carving and training
more talking then chopping at Wes's

and what is this Lizzy's kicking my but walking?!!

and what's up with all these folks Running!!!

but ha ha!! i've got her at last!!

we just completed 8 miles this Sat!! 1 hr 40 min.... we've been running back from the half way mark and getting smarter about it. Thank God for the cool cloudy S.Cal marine layer till 10AM........nice

[ Edited by: crazy al 2005-09-04 11:42 ]

My dad had a minor stroke at 63 year before last...came out okay, but could have been much worse. Just tell me where to send these, Al. They are from my own collection. One is a Paupuan Gulf area canoe protection spirit mask, the other is a Mindibit (upper Sepik River area) penis gourd. Both are the real deal. P.M. me with your mailing adress and I'll get them out to you.

CA

Basement is Deep!!! thanks....

ALL Locals come out to Tiki Taix and see me Run!!!
more to come... hufff .. pufff... huff.............

CA

14 miles in the bag... 16 miles are next...

[ Edited by: crazy al 2005-10-20 00:21 ]

CA

don't forget that with every $10 donated you get a raffle ticket for Tiki#100... just added some new pics of the latest developments...

http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_100.html
Now is your chance to get a real Crazy AL Special!
with all the manic detail!!
FOR $10!!!!!!!!!
(raffle is retroactive if you have already donated... Tickets will be mailed to you... however if you would like more raffle tickets you can make another donation.... if you live out side the LA area you will need to pay for shipping for the tiki in the event you win...)

I'm 3/4 of the way to the fund raising finish line... and i hope to go farther by race day!
Thanks for the support.... see you locals at the Lucky Tiki Art Auction!??????
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16957&forum=4&3

online donating
https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=103258&supId=90495245

Recognizing a Stroke
----- A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed and getting to the patient within 3 hours which is tough.

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify.

Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

1. *Ask the individual to SMILE.

2. *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
    (Coherently) (ex. . It is sunny out today?) If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately ad describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness, and speech problems researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke
Association's annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosisand treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people, you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
BE A FRIEND AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH AS MANY FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE, you could save their lives.
SoccerTiki

On 2005-10-26 00:40, crazy al wrote:
don't forget that with every $10 donated you get a raffle ticket for Tiki#100... just added some new pics of the latest developments...

Now is your chance to get a real Crazy AL Special!
with all the manic detail!!
FOR $10!!!!!!!!!
(raffle is retroactive if you have already donated... Tickets will be mailed to you... however if you would like more raffle tickets you can make another donation.... if you live out side the LA area you will need to pay for shipping for the tiki in the event you win...)

I'm 3/4 of the way to the fund raising finish line... and i hope to go farther by race day!
Thanks for the support.... see you locals at the Lucky Tiki Art Auction!??????
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16957&forum=4&3

online donating

So Al, are you still collecting for the ASA?????? Did you raffle the tiki yet? Can we still donate to the cause? What's the latest???
SoccerTiki

CA

Thanks only to the fantastic contribution of the tiki community and my fellow artist... I've smashed my goal for fund raising!!!

But this gaol was only a qualifying mark for the Honolulu Marathon and should be smashed to bits by all who have yet to contribute to this worthy cause.

so you can always donate on line by the mentioned web link, or mail in a check made out to Am. Stroke Ass. to my PO box

the raffle for tiki 100 will be after my Dec. 11th race some time... so stay tuned for info on that.......................

c-AL here.... still in Oakland with BambooBen finishing the last day of three weeks of bamboo busting..... does 12 hour days up and down 10 foot ladders count as training, i sure hope so....

anyway the big Tiki#100 raffle is still on and donations are still accepted for raffle tickets....

every one how as donated, and is interested in Tiki#100, has been assigned a raffle ticket by name. You do not have to posses your raffle ticket to win. However, if you have donated and would like your raffle tickets sent to you please email your address to [email protected] and your real name.
(I do not have the addresses of those who donated early on or those how donated on line)

thanks again for all the support!
c-AL

Hey Al and Lizzy - have a great run! Enjoy the trip, it's not whether you win or lose or finish, it's how much money you raise :)
xoxox
the Pineapples

CA

it's not whether you win or lose or finish, it's how much money you raise
xoxox
the Pineapples

Boy' am i glad you said that!!
when this all started, I thought..."walk a Marathon, no problem... raise $4000, holy crap"

But with the great folks we have in the tiki community, found raising turns out not to be the hard part!!Thanks again ALL! I should have $6000 with the final moneys going in..... $2000 more then i was asked to raise... and I'm the top Fund raiser for the group going to Hawaii!!

But I'm going to Hawaii with a bit o' tendinitis in my right foot... could be a painful finish... yikes

for those who have not yet donated for a chance to win Tiki#100.... here an update of the final carving....

easy donating online... off to the races on FRI!!!
Raffle drawing some time when i get back........

[ Edited by: crazy al 2005-12-08 01:04 ]

Run Bitch!!! Run!!!

Today is the day !!!

Yee Haa!!!

All of our positive energy goes to C'Al and Lizzy so they can complete their 26 mile jaunt in beautiful Waikiki this am. Everyone chant together....

You can do it! You can do it!! You can do it!!! Do it for the TIKI, man!!

....and enjoy that Mai Tai at the finish line!!

Crazy Al called me at mile # 10 and is feeling great!!! Just talked to him again at mile # 14 after eating a banana and taking a pee!!!!

You can check his status on this link below...

http://cgi.honolulumarathon.org/cgi-perl/fullsearch.cgi-pl

Technolgy wow! They gave him a lil' micro chip tracking thingy...

Run boy !!! Run!!!

Oooops. Type in Al Evans in the name part.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:24 ]

Go go go! Number 9988 has passed 30K. He's about 3/4 done!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:25 ]

K
kirby posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 4:30 PM

graat job Al, Ive been sitting on the couch the hole time you have been running and Im exhausted....

Congrat's AL!!!!

YEAH AL!!!!
You're number 18601!!
You're number 18601!!
You're number 18601!!
You're number 18601!!
You're number 18601!!
You're number 18601!!
You're number 18601!!

That is so great, congratulations on finishing and raising so much for such a great cause!
How did Lizzy do?

I wonder what Crazy Concoction Crazy Al is going to come up with next??

Free climbing Half Dome with a tiki on his back? Swimming to Hawaii?? Standing on his head until his bones turn red
( in a volcano)???

Can't wait to find out what's next in his bag o tricks!

p.s.

And, when are you going to tell us about the marathon??

CA

AL0oooooooooooooHA!! EVERY BODY!!!
You must of thought I died just after the finish line....
A week ago today I had no idea that I could finish a marathon and live to tell about it... that is with a painful tendonitis in my right foot...

But thanks to helpful hints on pain relief the foot was no problem and even got better some how??

you saw the statistics.... if you are going to spend 6hrs 50mins on your feet what better place to do it then paradise... at least that thought is how I got myself into this thing......

touchdown!! found warm sand in 'you know where' Friday afternoon......

time to Carb Up!! at the ASA dinner....

and Award Ceremony!! I was the highest fundraiser with the total still going

3:30AM!! Team Orange County Ready to Go...

4:00AM streets of Waikiki... two mile walk to start

wishful thinking here....

it took 1/2hr to shuffle our way here

with almost 27000 others, most of which were Wacky Japanese!!

off we go... that banana sure tasted great at mile 13....

another day in Paradise....

we were passed at mile 7 by the fourth place runner!! never saw the first three...

did I mention the wacky Japanese... we walked while Robo runner and Santa ran... they eventually beat us but not by much.... Lizzy's hip started to hurt about mile ten and it felt better if she jogged... then my foot would hurt... we ran about four miles of the race.

mile 18 not wanting to wait in long J-John lines, I ran into BK for a pee and a treat!!
don't feed the ducks!!!!! (the gal next to me, going the other way, is at mile 13)

love the Cheerleaders in Paradise at mile 19

up and over Diamond Head one last time!!

to a down hill FINNISH!!

o'ya'... this is about tikis, right?... these guys looked great at the finish

and so did weeee!!! all this for a medal and T-shirt... we sure look happy.

Recouping in Kona for two days.... NICE!!

here are 'official pics'!:
http://www.marathonfoto.com/order_my_photos.cfm?RaceOID=35142005F1&LastName=EVANS&BibNumber=
9988&Language=en&BFI=1i2fkc7nc4&Frames=true&Flash=
true&FlashVersion=7&Height=600&Width=800&Index2Home=true

Thanks to the local Kelly!! of Tiki's Bar and Grill!!!
First time I've seen Tiki#50 and #51 in four years the bar is doing great and dinner was GREAT!! Thanks Gecko for the Local ALOHA!! your tikis look Great also!! nice tribute to my styl'i tiki brah!! Best of luck on the new work every one will be blown away!!!
And FilSlash!! the maitai never tasted so good after the race!!!! and the Sea Urchin Spine Tiki-necklace.... ALL TIME!!!

thanks again to all who gave support and helped the ASA on their goal to reduce Stoke suffering!!!

I'm a bit behind on the job and the holidays.... how is Jan 15th'ish for a....
TIKI #100 RAFFLE!!!!!!!

Great photos Al! Congrats on being the highest fund raiser.
That is the coolest finish line I've ever seen.
Best to ya!

CA

see ya tonight at kona!!!?

I have to work. I will be in HB after Xmas. Hope to connect with ya.

Pages: 1 2 55 replies