Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Billy Mure is cool!

Pages: 1 18 replies

HK

I'm just listening through some stuff and his tune, "Firecrackers" came on. This cat can play! I think we'll have to start playing this tune. It's like Les Paul influenced Rockabilly with almost Surfy guitars...good stuff!

I'm just sayin' is all...Anyone else out there hip to Mr. Mure?

JG
http://www.whollycatsband.com

I

I wrote a short article about Billy Mure's Fireworks in the final issue of my zine back about 6 years ago, and was honored, along with everyone else, to see him perform at last year's Hukilau. I was able to get 3 or 4 of his LPs autographed by him then.

Here is a picture of Billy and myself from the Hukilau Thursday night boat cruise

Vern

Billy is a very cool cat! I conducted an interview with him at the Hukilau last year. I also introduced him. I have converted a bunch of his Supersonic Guitar LP's on CD. PM me if anyone on the list is interested in them. Josh, I could bring them to the Hukilau in October if you want. "Fireworks" is one of my favorite LP's as it has great use of wordless vocals. Look for the Billy Mure interview to be published in Tiki Magazine soon!

Mahalo,
Jeff

P.S. Great picture Vern!

T

On 2005-08-16 13:53, Haole Kat wrote:
I'm just sayin' is all...Anyone else out there hip to Mr. Mure?

I think it is safe to say that everyone who attended the Hukilau last year is MORE THAN hip to Mr. Mure!

If you guys play Firecracker during your Hukilau set this year, that would be a nice tribute/flashback to Billy's amazing performance last year... although I am wonering if you guys are up for leading a conga line like Billy did....?

HK

Wish I could've been there! Doesn't Billy still have a weekly gig somewhere in FL?

JG

My biggest regret about missing Hukilau last year (apart from simply Missing Hukilau and the death of my father-in-law) was missing Billy Mure. The Les Paul comparison is absolute. It's not simply the sound but the chops as well. I've only found Pink Hawaii on Vinyl but love everything I've ever heard him play and try to spread the good word whenever possible.

S

On 2005-08-17 19:59, Haole Kat wrote:
Wish I could've been there! Doesn't Billy still have a weekly gig somewhere in FL?

JG

Yes, Billy and Debbie play at a place in Sebastian FL on a regular basis. I am not sure if it's every night, but certainly on the weekends. Billy's real name is Sebastia, which is odd. Anyway. I can't recall the name of the place, but, there is not a lot in Sebastian and this place is on the water, literally! The restaurant is on stilts out over the water, so, you should not be able to miss it.

If you are driving down for Hukilau, you might make the stop. It's a bit north. Go by and see Wayne at Mai Tiki and then haev dinner with Billy and Debbie. Tell them you are on the way to Hukilau and they'll play all the Hawaiian tunes you want.

HK

Vern -- Cool pic, man! Thanks for posting that.

Jeff C -- I would love to get my hands on those discs...looking forward to chatting some more at Hukilau...all 3 HAOLE KATS!!! will be arriving at the Bahia Mar on Thursday....no scheduled performance that day, but that could change...if not, we'll be looking for a room party that needs music...anyone?

Tikibars -- We've been known to inspire a conga line, but I've never started one myself...hmmmm...we just put Firecrackers together during a Surf-focused rehearsal yesterday...that tune is rockin'!!!

TV -- Another guitar geek, huh? I agree, the more I listen, the more the LP influence comes through...great use of multitrack recording. You gonna hit Hukilau this year?

Swanky -- Thanks for the info...I'll have to make my way over there ASAP....how are things going with you?

JG

K

As far as Billy Mure reecordings go: Of course his "Hawaiian Percussion" on Strand is awesome. He also did a bang up groovy job with with a very 60's LP: "Swing & Sway in Hawaii With Sammy Kaye". And, maybe someone can confirm this..I've never seen it written or mentioned anywhere, but I believe he's one of the THREE steel players on the totally great Malekowa & The Trade Winds LPs "Hawaiian Guitars" & "Hawaii, Guitars, & Ukuleles (Plus a compilation of the two "Let's Go To Hawaii". Check eBay, cause any of those LPS are worth having.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.