Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"Beyond the Reef" movie aka "Shark Boy of Bora Bora"

Pages: 1 11 replies

Okay, guys, I searched and did not find this movie in the archives. I did! So has anyone seen this? This is a good movie, not about tikis but featuring a couple of tikis here and there (one even being carved, if memory serves). It is about a fellow with a shark friend. Mythical love story. Quirky and featuring some obvious dubbing, but that usually doesn't matter, right?

Wow, I have a feeling this movie is really really rare. I looked it up on Ebay and saw that there's a UK DVD out, fairly cheap. Anyway, I saw it a million years ago on cable, and it's really beautiful and good.

P

This is the flick where he goes deep for the pearls - right?
Kind of a "surfy" soundtrack?
I saw this one just a few months ago on USA or PAX or something like that.

This sounds awfully familiar to a movie I saw when I was very young. Maybe a remake?

Tikoyo and his shark

[ Edited by: dawntiki 2005-08-18 11:02 ]

Beyond the reef
Where the sea is dark and cold
Where love has gone
And our dreams grow old
There'll be no tears
There'll be no regretting
Will you remember me
Will you forget

I'll send a thousand flow'rs
When the trade wind blows
I'll send my lonely heart
For I love you so

Someday I know
You'll come back again to me
Till then my heart will be
Beyond the reef

Yes, same story, the version I mentioned (1981) is the 2nd film adaptation of the Clement Richer story "Tikoyo and his Shark." Tropical island adventure stars Dayton Ka'ne and Maren Jensen (from TV's Battlestar Galactica).

Tikoyo's aging grandfather, "Manidu," bequeathes to him a secret bed of black pearl oysters, and swears that his soul will be reborn within the body of the boy's shark friend.

Years later we find Tikoyo grown up and still living with the shark, who protects both him and the local waters from various dangers. His childhood companion Diana, away for many years, has returned from her education in the States, and when the two are reunited a romance blossoms. But all is threatened by Diana's not-so-subtly evil brother, who has learned of Tikoyo's inherited pearls, and will stop at nothing to get them.

I saw this version in the early 80's on cable and thought it was really stunning. Supposedly the 1966 film is pretty amazing too (some say better!) but I have not seen it.

[ Edited by: procinema29 2005-08-19 08:23 ]

Under the sea
Under the sea
There'll be no accusations
Just friendly crustaceans
Under the sea!

I...I...I don't understand those silly song!

The reason it is so rare here in the US is because they have only made the DVD for European code and the VHS in PAL. I have never seen a US DVD or VHS of this film. It did not do so well here in the US but did well in England and France. I have a DVD copy but it is in the wrong format. I think the original story is from Tahiti and was done in the late 50's for French TV and then redone in 80's. If anyone knows how to convert let me know.

H

I know this is an old thread, just wondering if anyone ever found a copy of this flick or knows where I can find one. I remember seeing it as youngster in the 70's and relly enjoyed it.

Don't know anything about the movie, but check out the name of the boat in this picture I took of wife on vacation in Bora Bora.

That actually is really cool!

Pages: 1 11 replies