Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Turntable guidance

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hey all,

Looking to pick up a turntable, preferably for less than $100, that won't trash my relatively new collection of vinyl.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Scottiki

On 2005-08-19 22:58, Scottiki wrote:

Any recommendations?

Increase your budget.

I agree with Hakalugi, but if you just want something to get started, here's a decent turntable in your price range.

Here is an older thread with turntable recommendation(s)--might not be in your price range as I didn't check the prices, just did a search on TC:
Need turntable, please help!!!

This might fit into your price range. And DJ Lee tells me he trusts his own valuable vinyl with it too!

http://www.dionysusrecords.com/turntable/

Buy secondhand

A good turntable makes your vinyl sound better than CD's. Nice curvy soundwaves vs binary sound. It's like a drawing vs a fax. "Project" do a decent starter turntable (the Debut III) which is actually more than sufficient for most peoples needs. I'm happy with mine!

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/category-1.cfm/Category/104

Trader Woody

I was able to find a modern, inexpensive, automatic turntable for under $100 several years ago. I wouldn't play my albums on anything less. The "automatic" and "elevate arm" features are essential for not scratching your prized LPs. Seems like I've seen one of these at Radio Shack most recently.

If you ever find yourself in Dayton Ohio, check out the Oregon District. There's a few boutiques that have second-hand and vintage turntables, etc. for great prices! Most I've seen there are pretty deluxe set-ups for within your price-range.

Thank you all for the super-helpful tips...I know my budget's lower than it oughta be, and I plan on upgrading in the not-too-distant future, but right now I'm still recovering from the initial costs incurred by putting my home tiki bar together.
So for now, that numark looks pretty sweet, and I'll pay a visit to Rat Shack as well.
I had searched the archives before posting, but the previous threads I found seemed to have a higher budget than mine.
Thanks again for the advice...I love Tiki Central!

peace,
Scottiki

I still stick by recommendation. You can find them used and in fine shape. Plus there is a onslaught of cartridges for it. Check you local pawn shops and bring a test record with you. You can prob pick one up for just over $100.

Pages: 1 9 replies