Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

burning

Pages: 1 8 replies

I DID use search, but could not find the process that some of you use for the burnt effects (shading)especiaaly on large Tikis. Any hints??

Try a propane torch, or one of those little ones they use in professional kitchens to carmelize sugar on top of creme brulee.

M

Hello Hello,

I use a propane torch with the canister thing ($3.00) I think the kit (nozzle & extra tips for plumbing solder) costs around $20

They burn nice and evenly

Mahalo

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 22, 2005 3:46 PM

I read an article in a hot rod magazine once on tiki carving. They used a butane torch from the hardware store.

Their advice was to use it like a paintbrush, and slowly build up the colour/definition. A little bit at a time, stand back and eyeball it, then a little more. Only use it for highlights. Have some water close by just in case?

Good luck, take plenty of pics :)

Of course there's always this method:

Photo courtesy of Krustiki.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 23, 2005 6:35 AM

Yeh, there is always that method. Depends on the look you ar going for. Weathered or charcoal :)

T

I hope that burning tiki turned out fine cause it would be a shame to wreck one that cool. But, the photo is super sweet.

The torch works good . I pored a small (very small) amount of a flamible liquid in this guys mouth and lit 'em up . Just be safe..

B

I think that burning is really used Mostly for smoothing chainsaw cuts. You then use a stiff wire brush to brush away the black and it leaves a very smoothe finish. I used to use the torch to remove the palm splinters, it works very well.
Try the torch on a hardwood carving one time and you may use the grinder less.

Pages: 1 8 replies