Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

E-Hula Mau! da real hula show!

Pages: 1 16 replies

CC

Na Mamo prouldly presents E Hula Mau, Southern California's BIGGEST Hula & Chant Competition. Held over Labor Day Weekend, September 2, 3, & 4th 2005. at the Terrace Theater in Long Beach, CA
cuz, It's da kine show!

[ Edited by: chan chan 2005-08-24 11:12 ]

For those interested, E Hula Mau takes place at the Terrace Theater in Long Beach, CA. More info at E Hula Mau.

WooHoo!! Another Tiki-rrific Weekend Event. BooHoo! I don't want Summer to end :(

DZ

On 2005-08-24 15:12, WooHooWahine wrote:
WooHoo!! Another Tiki-rrific Weekend Event. BooHoo! I don't want Summer to end :(

Yeah - you and me both... :(

But I think I'll try to make it to the daytime events on Saturday (and maybe on Sunday, too!)

[ Edited by: Doctor Z 2005-08-24 15:49 ]

Dr.Z ~ You missed some WooHoo's at The LB Tiki Beach Festival last weekend. Soccer Tiki has a Good Story to tell you about a place he discovered in Port Angeles, Washington. Hope to see you at this event. :)

Can tickets be purchased the day of the event??

I have, but there is the distinct possiblity of it being sold out.

Is anyone planning on attending this event?? Looks like it is going to be another tiki-rrific weekend, with all kinds of tiki things going on. Woo Hoo :)

I'll be in the house on Saturday.

Please find me.

Yes, please consider going to this fine cultural event filled with Hawaiian arts & crafts, foods, workshops, and of course, hula and chant competition. It is a spectacular, annual gathering of the best halaus (hula schools) in California and takes place this labor day weekend, Aug. 29-31. For more info, please visit Na Mamo.org or the Long Beach Performing Arts Center. Thanks for your support in perpetuating the Hawaiian culture and God bless.

Malama pono,
Adornments by Milani

The wife and i went last year and the performances are unreal. The keikis are awesome and Robi Kahakalau (one of my favorite Hawaiian musicians) and Sean Na'auao performed and definately transported us back to the islands. The competion is intense and the crowd really gets behind the performers with hoots and hollers. I had some of the best shave ice in my life there also, maybe mo bettah then Matsumoto im not sure what it was but to this day i still talk about that "experience". The vendors are mostly Kamaaina so as far as tiki goes its pretty minimal, but they have choke Hawaiian local style crafts, clothing etc... If you want a taste of real Hawaii close to home go check out E Hula Mau which i gaurantee will give you small kine chickenskin!

Okole maluna!

The Mahalo Bash is held Sunday as part of the E Hula Mau and features the greats of current Hawaiian music

Cyril Pahinui and Sonny Lim, Guitar
Kunia Galderia, `Ukulele
Greg Sardinha, Steel Guitar

Mahalo Bash

Cyril Pahinui article

M

E Hula Mau always a good time. Charge em!

http://www.presstelegram.com/lifestyle/ci_13263004

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2009-09-04 09:09 ]

Most of the events are held in the Long Beach Terrace Theatre

E Hula Mau

but over at the Westin Long Beach Hotel you have

-Slack Key Workshop
Cyril Pahinui returns to Long Beach, CA and will be leading a Slack Key Workshop at the Westin Long Beach Hotel, Marina Room, 4th Floor, on Saturday, September 5th, from 10:00AM-12:00PM

-KANIKAPILA JAM 9:00PM-12:00AM on Saturday, September 5th
Bring your ukulele or guitar for impromptu jam sessions held in the hotel lobby. This event is free and open to the public.

Can you get to the venders separately without paying for the show, or is it all one package?

Admission: Free to vendor and food areas;
$20 each day to the hula and chant competitions in the theater;
$5 to $10 for crafts workshops

M

E Hulau Mau is back for Labor Day Weekend. http://www.ehulamau.org

Pages: 1 16 replies