Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Atomic Ranch magazine -- tiki eichler!

Pages: 1 12 replies

Just got the latest issue of Atomic Ranch Magazine in my mailbox today (fall 2005) and they are profiling a tikified Eichler home (likely someone on TC, as tikicentral does get mentionned as a resource...)

what a beautiful home, my intense jealousy knows no bounds!

sorry, I haven't been able to find any pictures online, but maybe later if I manage to de-lazify myself I will scan some of the images in.

But a beautiful magazine if you love mid-century design, and worth subscribing to!

C

Discovered this mag when I swooped up a bunch of magazines on home remodeling. I had the Summer '05 issue and loved it all. I guess I should just get a subsrciption and order some back issues. Can't wait to check this one out.

Congrats to the Bongofurys for such a nice photo spread, even though (if you read the article) it is a farewell gift. The opening shot of the Rincon Room is as fine a Tiki home bar interior as anything I have seen before, it shows Ron's fine collection and proves that the photographic talents of editor Jim Brown have been honed in years of commercial car photography.

But calling it a "Tiki Eichler" repeatedly in the article sort of misses the point of why I for example liked the house so much in the first place:

It was beautifully renovated and furnished in mid-century modern style, (with Witco MODERN paintings on some walls), and the Tiki rumpus room was a small but perfect addition to the theme. Not like my house which, since wifey split, is filled to the gills with Tiki art, mugs and sculptures. I mean, me being the Tiki preserver, I have no choice but to live like that, but the Farrels struck an enviable balance here, and VISUALLY (other than in the opening shot) the mid-century modern look DOES dominate in the article.

Oh well, I guess the authors had never seen that much Tiki in one place and were struck with that aspect most. It is really a fine article to remember the house by, and a wonderful magazine to look at. The ads alone show, (like the ads in Tiki Magazine), what an overwhelming industry has developed for the mid-cent mod lover. Everybody should subscribe to it, I have every issue so far (7).

PS: Here's an example of an ad as mentioned in the last sentence of the above post:

http://www.gravelart.com/kits.html

Even if their stuff is a bit a cliche of a cliche, and I prefer vintage originals, how great that this art is being revived!

Yeah, I personally don't have a problem with all the new pseudo-mid modern stuff that's coming out. I mean, I prefer vintage, but I'm also not a millionaire, so most of that stuff is generally out of my reach, and sadly getting harder and harder to find when there are a lot of people out there who can afford to go after it. Yet, still I am forever searching for any crumbs that get left me!

Plus my take on all the new stuff is that soon that phase of being in vogue will also pass, and then it too will be gone.

hmmm -those gravel kits actually look like fun! (says the crafter in me...)

Today I got my new issue of Atomic Ranch, and let me just say how jealous I am of you in California.

Congratulations to one of our own for being featured in this issue!

--SBiM

Topics merged.

T

Wow, I too am a subscriber. I had no idea there were so many of us - that's good! I hope the magazine continues to grow and prosper. I loved the article in last month's isue on Toronto Modern Homes (Don Mills). Sadly, much like Eichlers. they come with a $700.000 price tag... not because theyre modern, but just because of the area. People still buy them at that price and add Bay Windows and crap, trying to 'renovate' them into McMansions! Oh the humanity!

R

McMansions! Ha.... do they come with Happy Meals where you're from?

It is an honor to be featured in both Tiki Magazine and Atomic Ranch. We had no idea that we would be moving when the article was shot last September. Not so with Tiki Magazine. That was shot the right before we moved.

Thanks Bigbro......other than some rattan furniture in the den, the former laundry/hobby room (9'6" X 11') was the only full on Tiki room. They had shot my neighbor's house for one of the first issues and asked her if she knew anyone that had a large tiki collection.......she pointed out the carvings in our yard that you could see over the fence.......Here is the first page (Land Of A Thousand Tikis) of the 8 page article....

The story is very condensed and is more concerned with our roof problems than anything Tiki. I mentioned as many TC things as I could......Tiki Central, Book Of Tiki, Oceanic Arts, Tiki Farm, Tiki News, Tiki Magazine, TikiTony, TikiDiablo, Flounder, Gecko, Keigs, BambooBen, Munktiki, etc., and some were referenced at the end of the article. I did inform them that one of the sites they spelled wrong....Konakai.com was listed as Konakia.com......and apologies to Gecko as they got the info wrong and credited his great carved sign for our bar to Patiarts (who's work I like, but did not do our sign).

For many that have asked "How could you sell that house?", our jobs were/are both in jeopardy, mine due to numerous construction injuries and Mrs. Furys to office politics, and were lucky (and old enough) to have had a rental house to escape to.
We are in the process of renovation and the Rincon Room will be re-built.........

Aloha
Bongofury

Bongofury --

Very sorry to hear you had to leave that beautiful home, but with your talents I'm sure your new one will be even better.

I was particularly taken with this Eichler's courtyard (right word? atrium, maybe?). What a wonderful thing to have in every house. Most of the larger homes in ancient Rome had such a space, too.

[i]On 2005-09-14 14:37, bongofury wrote:

I mentioned as many TC things as I could......Tiki Central, Book Of Tiki, Oceanic Arts, Tiki Farm, Tiki News, Tiki Magazine, TikiTony, TikiDiablo, Flounder, Gecko, Keigs, BambooBen, Munktiki, etc., and some were referenced at the end of the article. I did inform them that one of the sites they spelled wrong....Konakai.com was listed as Konakia.com....

Good name dropping. Sharing the Tiki love.

Pages: 1 12 replies