Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: rare vintage luau 400 tiki bar mug wow look!

Pages: 1 28 replies

Okay Tiki People, let's try this again...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7709137205

Cheers!

D

I wonder how much this one will go for? Its in bad shape.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-09-01 19:42 ]

I know, I know..... I already promised a refund when she returns the OTHER mug (she only sent 1 back 'cos I guess she can't trust me.... can you believe it? The other mug is in pretty good shape....). Some people just can't tell the difference between idiocy and criminal intent.

When she sends the OTHER one back, I'm gonna keep it - gotta pay for my 3 year old's university somehow! Lol!

This HERE mug can be repaired and restored professionally, and considering the prices of these mugs, it's worth it (if not now, in the future). Where ya gonna get another one? Wash it, looks GREAT on display. You only see the repair

a) in direct sunlight

b) when you look at it up close from the SIDE

Someone asked if I'd consider making a ceramic mold & make a few replicas for sale, or just sell them the mold. What do you think of that??

V

This ones really cool.I like to buy old tiki mugs ,break them into little colorful pieces ,and, make art out of them.I think I'll go bid on this one!

Some people just can't tell the difference between idiocy and criminal intent.

well... most criminals are idiots, especially the one that get caught.

V

who are you?The godfather?

K
Kono posted on Tue, Aug 30, 2005 3:16 PM

Well, I see the auction has ended early. My, my.

I am getting really tired of this shady ass shit. Am I out of line in saying that anyone who ends auctions early or who solicits sellers to end auctions early is not welcome here? Yes? Maybe? No? Anyone agree? I don't appreciate sellers hawking their wares here then selling them them out the back door. :x

I'd give Kahaka one freebie pass though. :wink:

Have to agree with Kono. If nothing else it is bad form, and really dishonest. Everyone gambles (buyer and seller) on eBay, but it works because we all agree to the terms and PLAY (Pay) by the established rules.
Frankly, people who end auctions early are selfish and should be marginalized. I will never bid or buy from anyone who is cheating the system.
I don't care what the item is or how bad I would like to own it. I am not perfect or pretend to be, but when I give my word I keep it, and that includes tacit deals like eBay auctions.

J

First you boo-hoo to us about a bad experience with a buyer when you knowingly mislead them into believing that one of the mugs you sold them wasn't damaged. You misled many of us into believing that the buyer was a wacko and you were getting shafted... that was until we saw pics of the returned mug. If I saw a mug in that condition in a thrift store I'd probably pass it up. I don't speak for everyone here but I know if I was the winning bidder on your auction, paid that ridiculous amount of money and received one of the mugs in that condition I'd have demanded a complete refund, and mailed them back immediately! If I got any delay like the understandably irate buyer received from you, I'd have been looking for the cheapest flight to Canada so I could personally come by and kick your ass!

Now you go and pull the mug out from underneath potential buyers so you can make a quick profit? Again I'm not speaking for everyone here but you sound like a real asshole... maybe it would be best if you avoided using Tiki Central as a springboard for future auctions and sell them outright to any underhanded dick that makes you an offer. Or better yet why not try being truthful when selling shit that's broken instead of seeking out allies to defend you when you're obviously wrong. But I don't think that's going to happen... by canceling the Ebay auction, we can now safely confirm that you lack ANY morals!

Whoah people! A bit temperamental, aren't we?

Here's the story; As you all know, the seller only sent me back ONE MUG. I figure what the hell, I wanna sell these, so why not post it now? Everything's fine, no big deal. I assume she will send the other mug ASAP, I'll send her a refund, problem solved...

Then yesterday, I receive notification from Paypal that she is filing a dispute (what an IDIOT). Not only that, she's claiming that she returned BOTH of the mugs already, and that I am just holding out. As a result, my PayPal is also "frozen". I decided to stop the auction until the issue with this woman is settled once and for all, and there is absolutely NO QUESTION about the status of BOTH mugs. Doesn't that make sense?

Maybe next time you could just message me, instead of assuming the worst? I'm trying to do my best here, sorry if it's not good enough for you....

H

Hey guys, I know there have been a rash of auctions ending early under suspicious circumstances, and that's a crappy situation. Kaitheguy was upfront from the very beginning that he made a mistake with these mugs, he was only asking that the seller actually return the items to get the refund, that was the dispute.

Benefit of the Doubt... It's What's for Dinner.

[removed]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - removed inappropriate statements - 2005-08-30 16:55 ]

K
Kono posted on Tue, Aug 30, 2005 5:00 PM

On 2005-08-30 16:49, kaiTheGuy wrote:
Whoah people! A bit temperamental, aren't we?

Yes we are! :x

At least me anyway. :)

I've been ebaying for six or seven years now and this "ending auctions early" thing seems to be at epidemic levels. It's wearing on me.

Thanks KC! :D

I was thinking "He's gonna have an excuse. They always have an excuse." regarding you ending the auction early. But your story actually sounds legit to me (and I'm notoriously skeptical).

On 2005-08-30 16:49, kaiTheGuy wrote:
Maybe next time you could just message me, instead of assuming the worst? I'm trying to do my best here, sorry if it's not good enough for you....

Conversely, you could've given us a "heads up" prior to pulling an auction that some of us were watching and some of us bid on. This is really happening so often that it's hard not to assume the worst. Ebay Tiki is getting to feel like West Berlin, 1963.

Be gentle with me, people, the world of high stakes Tiki trading is tearing this n00b apart....

Next time, if there is one, I'll post here first. PROMISE.

I still DEFINITELY have the one mug; I will still DEFINITELY auction it off, no reserve, starting at ONE CENT.

And of course, I will let you all know before I relist it....

[ Edited by: kaiTheGuy 2005-08-30 17:16 ]

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 06:53 ]

J

On 2005-08-30 16:53, Humuhumu wrote:
Kaitheguy was upfront from the very beginning that he made a mistake with these mugs...

Benefit of the Doubt... It's What's for Dinner.

Kaitheguy was not upfront about the mug being in poor condition... only when the mug was back in his hands did he state that it had indeed been repaired... he initially said the mugs hadn't been washed and that there was no problem that he could see with the mugs... "Maybe I missed a tiny scratch, but not a chip, gouge and certainly NOT a repair..." Tiny scratch? A chip or a gouge? That thing was beaten up pretty good! In my opinion he should refund 3/4 of the total amount and let the buyer keep the good mug - that type of error is inexcusable! I find it hard to believe the flaws in this mug were not noticeable when he offered them up for sale!

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Kaitheguy's behavior was reprehensible... and that's what's for dinner!

H

I stand corrected, I had misremembered his initial wording of the conflict. We all make mistakes, and it seems to me that kaiTheGuy has genuinely been trying to learn from them.

J
JTD posted on Tue, Aug 30, 2005 7:24 PM

On 2005-08-30 18:38, johntiki wrote:
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Kaitheguy's behavior was reprehensible...

You're kidding, right? Why would Kai even bother posting the first half of the tale if he knew he was going to end up with egg on his face? If he was trying to pull a fast one, why inform everyone when it backfires? There's no logic to this being intentional bad behavior. Unintentional screw up makes a lot more sense to me.

JTD

J

On 2005-08-30 19:24, JTD wrote:

On 2005-08-30 18:38, johntiki wrote:
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Kaitheguy's behavior was reprehensible...

You're kidding, right? Why would Kai even bother posting the first half of the tale if he knew he was going to end up with egg on his face? If he was trying to pull a fast one, why inform everyone when it backfires? There's no logic to this being intentional bad behavior. Unintentional screw up makes a lot more sense to me.

JTD

No, I'm not kidding. JTD I don't know if you've ever sold anything on Ebay but I know when I do I scrutinize everything that might potentially be construed as a defect and make it immediately know to potential buyers... sure it was probably an error on his part but I still find it illogical for a seasoned Ebay seller to let a mistake of that magnitude slide.

This is a tight, hard to see repair - see the pics from the FIRST auction. there are NO chips or massive damage, the mug is easily restorable to perfect condition. For the 2nd auction, I cleaned the repair off & made it glare in full sunlight so that everyone can understand what we're all talking about. yes I made a huge, bone headed mistake. This doesn't make me a bad person, and I really resent John's insults.

[ Edited by: kaiTheGuy 2005-08-30 21:01 ]

H

On 2005-08-30 20:45, kaiTheGuy wrote:
JohnTiki is just a jealous internet troll, probably an alter or buddy of the winner of my auction. He can go to hell. The internet is FULL of loudmouth jerks who hide behind their keyboards down in their mommy's basement. I hope he comes to my house to tell me something to my face.

I'd love it.

This is a tight, hard to see repair - see the pics from the FIRST auction. there are NO chips or massive damage, the mug is easily restorable to perfect condition. For the 2nd auction, I cleaned the repair off & made it glare in full sunlight so the JohnTiki's of the world could understand what we're all talking about.

Now if I could only keep them away from my auctions & threads...

Johntiki is not a jealous internet troll, if you look just under his name, you can see his is a member in good standing who has been participating here for many years. He may have jumped to some conclusions that you don't agree with, but your attitude towards him is uncalled for, and way out of line.

There is way too much personal attacking going on here, I strongly suggest you all consider more carefully how to phrase your difference of opinion.

J

:lol: Rest assured I won't be adding you to my favorite seller list...

I hope the buyer still has the good mug and paypal refunds all of her money.

Take a look at Kai's feedback and his feedback left for others.

Johntiki is right.

RR

On 2005-08-31 03:17, bigkahuna627 wrote:

Johntiki is right.

9 negative to over 800 positive. With none in the last year. How is that bad?

B

On 2005-08-31 09:31, Rob Roy wrote:

On 2005-08-31 03:17, bigkahuna627 wrote:

Johntiki is right.

9 negative to over 800 positive. With none in the last year. How is that bad?

I don't think he was referring to the number so much as the actual comments he left

I have emailed 4 times, this person is very nasty person to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!
Seller booksabillion ( 4097) Mar-12-04 13:29 3177140630
Follow-up by booksabillion: YOU KNOW YOU ARE A COMPLETE JERK!!!! THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mar-12-04 14:13
Reply by kai070169: I wish we could round up & kill the stupid ones, know what I mean? LIES! Mar-12-04 16:05

Feedback of less than 99% means watch out.

RR

On 2005-08-31 09:48, bigkahuna627 wrote:

I have emailed 4 times, this person is very nasty person to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!
Seller booksabillion ( 4097) Mar-12-04 13:29 3177140630
Follow-up by booksabillion: YOU KNOW YOU ARE A COMPLETE JERK!!!! THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mar-12-04 14:13
Reply by kai070169: I wish we could round up & kill the stupid ones, know what I mean? LIES! Mar-12-04 16:05

Feedback of less than 99% means watch out.

Booksabillion has the same rating at kaitheguy.

But back on topic....
To me it looks like KaiTheGuy has no clue about tiki mugs and what they are worth. That is why he came here to research.
He didn't know how anal some people are about their mugs (not that there is anything wrong with that).
I agree that they should return the mugs then the money and get along with their lives.

*On 2005-08-31 10:52, Rob Roy wrote:*He didn't know how anal some people are about their mugs (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I agree. Sloppy listings from sellers who don't know (and likely don't care) what they are selling have been commonplace from the beginning. Unfortunately you can't assume the seller has any idea what they're talking about. Inadequate and blurry pictures with poor descriptions require the potential buyer to ASK QUESTIONS and request additional pictures, especially if they're going to bid big bucks. I don't think the buyer did any of this in this case.

Pages: 1 28 replies