Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki or Smut?

Pages: 1 10 replies

I ran across a mug in the 'high end item' case at a local thrift store. The mug is barrel shaped, and has a handle.

On the front is a dark haired woman, and where her ahem stuff is located, it is actually a separate ceramic piece. The ceramic piece is attached to a wire hinge, so the 'stuff' bobs up and down when you move the mug. On the side of the mug is printed 'Let Em Swing'.

Somebody is selling one on Ebay. The mug in question is the one on the right of the photo: Let Em Swing Mug.

I am contemplating whether this mug could be construed as being Tiki (an exotic hula girl perhaps?), or is it just naughty?

Since all of the cashiers behind the case are female, I've been oddly teenager-ish about asking to look at it more closely. 'Ah, excuse me. Would I, er, should I, er, ah, um, may I look at that, uh... um.. yeah, that one. Ahem... it's not for me, it's for a friend of mine. Really!!'

I'd say tiki content = 0, smut = 100%. You should be ashamed of yourself for even wanting to look at them more closely.

ps. I have almost the same pair of mugs on my website.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-17 19:03 ]

H

Feminism just took a step back with this mugs production :)

Not tiki, but kinda cool. Might have to be careful who you serve drinks with it though.

They were very popular over here in souvenier shops.
British Seaside humour type of thing.
We would call it a harmless bit of fun, but now in the days of Political correctness gone mad it probably isn't.
I like them and always get them if I see them, but it ain't Tiki

We stopped by the thrift store yesterday, and the wahine herself asked to look at the mug. As it turns out, it is $14.95(!). Way too much, but not nearly as much as the $79.95 Laugh-In lunchbox that was also there. I guess thrift stores are really keen on pricing collectibles.

As bad as the 'Let Em Swing' mug is, it isn't close to the bottle of Hungarian Tokaj wine that the whaine's brother-in-law sent us. The bottle is hand-blown glass, and inside the bottle it is shaped like two people 'in flagrante delicto'.

Would post pix, but this is a family forum. :)

I saw the same "Let em Swing" mug in an antique store in Washington State last week...They wanted $29.00 for it....I thought "Hmmmmmmm....." but decided against it....Now that I'm home, I have a perfect place in my tiki room for it!!!(Next to the "Bottoms Up" ashtray!!!) Oh well! Next time!
Not much Tiki in Northwest Washington State!!!!
SoccerTiki

On 2005-08-29 12:19, SoccerTiki wrote:
I saw the same "Let em Swing" mug in an antique store in Washington State last week....

Not that I would ever, ever be interested in something as prurient and distasteful as this item, but, um, do you happen to remember the name of that Washington state antique store SoccerTiki?

I like 'em!
They totally embody the whole space age, bachelor pad, tiki, exotica, lounge, hipster culture of the 50's. Although the don't HAVE tikis on them, they are still a great relic of that culture, which I and my husband still LOVE!
They were made to be "fun" back in a time when the whole world wasn't so dang uptight and sensitive. Back when people had a sense of humor...
Which is what "Tiki" is about, being laid back and having a good attitude.
hmmm...
I'd buy em!
; )
Jennifer

M

On 2005-08-26 16:05, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
I'd say tiki content = 0, smut = 100%. You should be ashamed of yourself for even wanting to look at them more closely.

ps. I have almost the same pair of mugs on my website.

I have the exact same "bottoms up" mug as is on your page, except the one I bought has a thong painted onto its arse.

UT

Not really tiki, but good cheeky (pun intended) fun and definitely in the right spirit.

... find a male version and have 'em replicate live (or try to) on e-bay's forn-i-cam... elsewise, have tikifarm front a run and sell 'em yourself... could become very popular... give it a whirl...

Pages: 1 10 replies