Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Need a Substitute for Pussers

Pages: 1 10 replies

I'll be making up a big ol' batch o' pain killers, for my 30th b-day bash, and was wondering if there is a less expensive substitue for pussers. I Really like Pussers but don't want to make a bunch with the "good" stuff.

T

Perhaps Cruzan Black Strap would be a good substitute since it is marketed as a Navy style rum. It should be available at Trader Joe's. It's not as complex as Pussers but it may do for a painkiller.

personally i would think that black strap would be WAY too strong for a painkiller. it is also waaaaay darker in color.

really there is nothing else (that i have found)like pusser's. but if i were going to sub something i would use a gold or amber rum. i would lean toward the amber. i was recently introduced to a barbados rum called rinaldo's it has a similar color and bouquet to the pusser's but lack's the kick at 80 pr. you may also want to try the trader vic's royal amber rum. it may work in a painkiller as well.

don't let the bus leave without me!

[ Edited by: the drunken hat 2005-08-27 10:45 ]

thanks
I was thinking something in the amber persuasion. i think the black strap would be way too strong. But was just thinking maybe someone had a surefire near replacement.

Appleton Estate has been on sale at Trader Joe's. It's generally a good rum and it's not that far off. You might be able to use it to stretch the pusser's.

T

You're right drunkenhat that Black Strap is darker and much more smokey in flavor than Pusser's, so it's probably going to overpower the drink.

The gold rums mentioned are going to be just as unlike Pusser's in taste as Black Strap is, just in a different way (too mellow).

The original poster is looking for inexpensive rums (say around $10) and Appleton Estate isn't really inexpensive (at around $20-25).

I think a full-bodied brown rum may be the best substitute. One of the best deals is Bacardi Select at only around $15 a bottle.

http://www.internetwines.com/mb1240084.html

I don't think there is a cheap substitute for Pussser's, besides its strength (which will require alteration of the recipe if using a substitute), it has a very distinct woody flavor. Black Strap tastes like Molasses (or as Humuhumu said - it's like a Molasses Liquoer) so I doubt that's going to solve anything. Pusser's sells for around $19 at HiTime, and anything remotely close sells at around that range (but is weaker, so it'll end up being more expensive).

Ran

I'm not sure if these are available where you are but I go through these like a demon:

Both are Scottish - perhaps Scotland is the last bastion for decent demeraras...

Trader Woody

I could not agree with me mate, Trader Woody, more..Caledonia is the place for GREAT Demerara Rum.
Just a wee nip will do ye, Hoots Mon!

I could not agree with me mate, Trader Woody, more..Caledonia is the place for GREAT Demerara Rum.
Just a wee nip will do ye, Hoots Mon!

DZ

I brought a bottle of Watson's home with me when I was in Scotland a few summers ago - good stuff! But as a substitute for Pussers? I dunno...

Pages: 1 10 replies