Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Humu Kon Tiki -- tiki information blog

Pages: 1 32 replies

To paraphrase They Might Be Giants... I've got two black & red-orange color-scheme tiki websites in me, and this one is the third....

I've finally finished the third (and hopefully final!) in my trifecta of tiki websites, Humu Kon Tiki. This one is different from Critiki and Ooga-Mooga, this one is a trusty, rusty Tiki blog.

Before I get into what my blog is all about, I want to take a moment to point out another great new tiki blog, by Hot Lava, Tiki Talk: http://tikitalk.astropad.com . Here's a TC thread about his new blog: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16055&forum=1&13

Okay, Humu Kon Tiki: I've been wanting to start a site like Humu Kon Tiki ever since I was in the planning stages for Critiki, in 2002 -- a place to expound on my own tiki travels, spread the latest news about tiki, and write the occasional wee article on the tiki mysteries of our age. Now that we're all set up on our shiny new server, I've got the tools to do it, and it's happening!

Check Humu Kon Tiki out here --> http://blog.humuhumu.com

Also, it's got a nifty RSS feed for those who are into such things: http://blog.humuhumu.com/feed/ Critiki's got one, too: http://www.critiki.com/updates.xml

Hope you guys like it as much as I enjoy writing it!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-28 17:09 ]

I have no idea where you find the time to be so productive.
Keep up the great work!

i sneeked a peek at Humuhumu's new site a few days ago, when i noticed another link on her sig line.

wow. you're amazing.

how fun for us, to tag along on your tiki travels!

On 2005-08-30 12:45, dogbytes wrote:
i sneeked a peek at Humuhumu's new site a few days ago, when i noticed another link on her sig line.

I did too, but I found the link at Ooga-Mooga! Very cool.

I love the "Humuhumu family of tiki websites!"

D

You are a dynamo!So many contributions!Thanks for being so vigilent and enthusiastic!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 30, 2005 9:16 PM

Jeez, id be ahppy with just ONE of yor killer websites. But 3? Just plain greedy!

Cool stuff Humu

T

Wow. It has a sort of journalistic approach, distilling stories and info. which are more "scattered," if you will, on Tikicentral.

Thanks for the new site.

[ Edited by: Thomas 2005-09-02 04:36 ]

P

Hey, I'm a "dear friend."
Alright!

Looks cool, kaikaina.
See you soon.

On 2005-08-30 15:40, christiki295 wrote:
I love the "Humuhumu family of tiki websites!"

... we love humuhumu...

H

I've created a new "searchroll" on a new website called Rollyo. It searches Tiki Central, Critiki, Ooga-Mooga, Humu Kon Tiki and the Tiki News mailing list archives, all at once. It's brand new, still kicking the tires on it, but here's my blog entry about it:

http://blog.humuhumu.com/2005/09/28/humu-kon-tiki-in-rollyo

And here's a link directly to the Tiki Search searchroll:

http://www.rollyo.com/search.html?sid=1297&f=share

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-28 21:06 ]

TB

Humu,

Where do you find the time? Impressive.

H

Humu, come home we miss you.... :(

I've been looking for such a site. I'm happy for Humuhumu that she finds the energy and enthusiasm to post as she does.

I love the new format, or the revolving format.

Humu, your photo is ravashing!

Thank you christiki, on both counts!

I still have a weakness for good ol' red-orange-on-black, but now that I'm creating websites for a living, I wanted Humu Kon Tiki to look a bit more pulled-together, and also show that I'm not a one trick pony when it comes to design. Also, I got bored of looking at my giant melon every time I went to the site.

My inspiration was the Don the Beachcomber menu that can be seen on pages 72-73 of the Book of Tiki. That said, you can probably really blame puamana and her amazing menu collection -- though I didn't use any of her collection for direct reference, I've spent many an afternoon gazing at her gorgeous menu collection, and that's what made me think of doing a vintage-inspired graphic design style for the site.

Some of my website projects lately have called for me to polish up my rusty drawing skills, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I'm pleasantly surprised at how it turned out.

P

nice, i did like the other picture, though.

Humu, Yeah yeah! Nice job on the new look. Did you draw those tikis? Those dudes are coool! "Giant Melon" you got to be kiddin' I would say grapefruit at best :D
Blog on,

Chongz

"Giant Melon!" :lol: The only "Giant" thing about that "Melon" are the ideas in it!

Nice art, what're the chances of a HumuKonTiki Font or Clip Art set coming out of this?

H

Well, I meant giant in terms of how large it was on the page -- in real life, it's more pin-like.

Yeah, I drew it all myself! For the tikis and the net, I based them on the ones from the DTB menu. For the tiki mug, I looked at the picture of the Mark Thomas Outrigger mug in Tiki Quest. One of the two palm frond styles I did based on the DTB Jamaican Rum label that's right before the menu in the BOT. The pineapples, coconuts, flowers, cork floats and the more fringy palm frond are straight out of my non-melon-ish noggin. The "Humu Kon Tiki" logo is the font Pink Flamingo, from Font Diner.

P

what do you mean you looked at the picture of the outrigger in the BOT? you don't have one of these?

i have 3. let me know if you want to trade for something.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:42 ]

So when do your other sites get a facelift?

Signed,
Ungreatful bastard.

PS - The site looks wonderful, you have mad crafting skills. Thank you for the million and one contributions you have made to expanding the forbidden knowledge of tiki. :)

I decided it was silly that I was posting about all these great tiki events on Humu Kon Tiki, but the information was buried in all those posts -- so I've added an at-a-glance list of upcoming tiki events, with links to their Humu Kon Tiki posts, in the sidebar on Humu Kon Tiki. Hope it's useful for people!

Humu Kon Tiki

PK

Very nice, but what ever will I do April 20 ?!?! I just don't know....

well, it's Hitler's AND Hank the Angry Druken Dwarf's B-day, posthumous birthday bliss...NO

420 Brah! ...a whole day gone.

Maybe I'll just walk aimlessly through the beautiful rolling streets of Alameda, Californ-i-a and see what befalls me. I will carry my $$$ in my sock;)

On 2006-03-31 23:48, Humuhumu wrote:
I decided it was silly that I was posting about all these great tiki events on Humu Kon Tiki, but the information was buried in all those posts -- so I've added an at-a-glance list of upcoming tiki events, with links to their Humu Kon Tiki posts, in the sidebar on Humu Kon Tiki. Hope it's useful for people!

Humu Kon Tiki

That cite becomes better, and, now with the calendar, still better yet.

I'm with Unga Bunga....Where do you find the time?
Perhaps you have a Way Back Machine you utilize for just this purpose?
I can't even find the time to sit long enough on the throne w/o my kids don't bang on the door screaming for me to ref their current squabble about who doesn't have to wash the dishes this time!
So it's great to get my quick fix of Tiki this way! THANKS!!!

H

On 2006-04-01 06:11, Primo Kimo wrote:
Very nice, but what ever will I do April 20 ?!?! I just don't know....

Maybe I'll just walk aimlessly through the beautiful rolling streets of Alameda, Californ-i-a and see what befalls me. I will carry my $$$ in my sock;)

Well, the April 20 Forbidden Island shindig is for Tiki Central only. Humu Kon Tiki reaches a surprisingly broad audience, I regularly hear from readers who aren't TCers. Just last week I was recognized at the Game Developer's Conference in San Jose by someone who reads Humu Kon Tiki regularly, but isn't a TCer. Wacky! So I didn't think it was appropriate to post a TC-only event. I'll post the April 22 Grand Opening event next week.

Glad you like it!

H

On 2006-04-01 09:36, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
I can't even find the time to sit long enough on the throne w/o my kids don't bang on the door screaming for me to ref their current squabble about who doesn't have to wash the dishes this time!
So it's great to get my quick fix of Tiki this way! THANKS!!!

You've hit on how I find the time... no kids! I used to also say it was because I didn't have cable television, but that's changed now, so I guess that's not it.

On 2006-04-01 09:36, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:

She stole Hermione's Time Turner!

H

I've just posted a guessing game on Humu Kon Tiki -- What In Polynesian Pop. It's a series of close-up photos of items, and you're invited to take a guess as to what each item is. Post your guesses on Humu Kon Tiki -- when someone leaves a comment with a bang-on guess, I'll reveal the item and give glory to the guesser!

What In Polynesian Pop

Wow, Humu - that techno geek in you has really found a most creative outlet. Your websites are some of the best designed I've seen (as I struggle once again to use Frontpage for my broken down FlipsideFanzine website.... grumble, grumble).

RSS feed - and is it a pod cast, someone mentioned a radio show!? Mike My husband ("lava pants" to TCers), is a techno geek so he will be right on that just as soon as I forward the link! Meanwhile I am light years behind learning anything more complicated than an HTML code!

Great work Humu on the website trio:)

Humu gets a fresh mention in bOING bOING (A Directory of Wonderful Things):

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/04/21/cute_tiki_plush_doll.html

Cute tiki plush doll
The excellent and gorgeous tiki blog, Humu Kon Tiki, has an entry about a neat-looking tiki plush doll, designed and made by Kristen Tercek. Link

posted by Mark Frauenfelder at 03:10:44 PM permalink | Other blogs' comments

Pages: 1 32 replies